Trailer Trash

Dances With Dirt, Hell 50k Race Report (Read 40 times)

moonlightrunner

On Saturday 9/20 I ran the 50k Dances With Dirt in Hell, Michigan. It was my first ultra...and I am so glad this race was my first!

This was the 20 year anniversary of this race. Think of an all-natural Tough Mudder, and you get a vague idea.  The race takes place in the Pinckney State Recreation Area. It has great hills...not big by mountain standards...but enough to be a challenge. This race is different than most because the RD takes the race off trail, through the muck, over rivers, up river and all over. In addition to the 50k and 50 miler, they have a 100k Team Relay. The ultra runs much of what the relay does, so you often have some portions with two way traffic. In 2001 I was on a relay team. I recall running one of my two legs and a runner asked if I was running the ultra. I guess I looked pretty pathetic.

My Training

It went well up until about 5 weeks before the race. I was supposed to run the Woodstock 50k o. September 8. In retrospect... I'm glad it turned out this way. I was a bit undertrained..but the stars of training, injury and life rarely align as we want...sometimes ya gotta do it anyway.

Race Day

I left about 0400 to get to the race. It was going g to get warm so I chose capris and a tank top.I wore my VFF's, my hat and used my Rev 6 hydration pack.

I arrived and  was directed where to park. I asked wwhere I needed to go to register...he pointed to the lights...waaaayy over there. So off I went...at least 1/4 mile. Then back to my car to get my phone with my discount code, then BACK to registratio then to the car again to drop off the t shirt. Them back to wait for the start.

We milled around. There were people there dressed like it was the middle of winter! Finally it was time...he said go and off into the 0615 darkness we went. I started toward the back. I should have started a little further up...but in the end it probably did not make much difference.

When we reached single track we all ended up walking. The flags soon led us off trail...and wewere still in the cCongo line. There were a lot of downed trees to step over...and we were STILL walking. I'm not sure when...but eventually we were running...still in a line. I passed people whenever I could. Eventually flags led us back onto a trail...and running was easier. It began to get a little lighter. We were spread out and I continued passing when I could.

It was now full light. I was not running g alone...but it was not too crowded. The trail here was pretty clear going....so of course I managed a face plant! I landed on my jaw...and I think it rattled my brain a bit. A gentleman helped me up and walked with me a bit...runners passed. After a couple of minutes I resumed running with a headache and aching jaw. The gentleman ran behind me for a while...I think he thought I was going to faint orsomething.

During these next miles the flagging took us on and off trail. Some runnable, some not. I was JUST saying to a fellow racer I was chatting with that I would be disappointed if we did not get mud. Just then we were directed by the flags to turn off the trail...into the swamp. The gentleman requested I not wish for rain...since I did get the mud I had wished for. The muck was over the ankles and there were many downed trees and rough terrain to step over and around. We came to the first stream crossing. Most others were crossing via large trees that had fallen over the stream.. I just got into the water and crossed the thigh deep stream the old fashioned way. I made my way up the bank...and the muck became deeper, soupier...and I suddenly found myself in muck to my waist. Another runner had to help pull me out. On we all went, stepping over fallen trees, stepping into knee deep muck...this was not runnable for me..but fun. We all laughed a lot.

Finally I stepped out of the swamp and onto a dirt road. I hate roads... the flags led us up the road...and we began to see relay runners coming toward us. We ran down the road to the aid station, where we were directed to run back on the road and now follow the yellow flags. We were directed back into the woods on a nice solid trail.  At this point I had run about 14 miles. I felt great. Eventually the flags led us off trail....to The Stripper Pole. A HUGE hill that goes straight up. This is a hill that requires hand, feet, knees and arms. I cannot imagine what it would be like in the rain. When you get up the pole you then go down the Dirt Ladder. A very steep down hill.

I was running alone now. Off trail trying to follow the yellow flags. It was slow going because you are running in the middle of the woods looking for yellow flags tied to trees, some with yellow leaves on them. I picked my way along and eventually made it back to the trail and on to the aid station. On we went. I had picked up some runners and we all chatted and it was very pleasant. We were following pink flags now. On we went down the trail...when...we all noticed...no pink flags.  No flags at all. We saw other lost runners at a trail marker...looking at a course map. Eventually we turned back...and stopped other runners making the same mistake. We found the missed turn and wondered how we all managed to miss it!

Soon we were to a stream crossing. It felt good to get some of the dried muck off. We crossed two streams...the second of which with a steep bank to climb out. As I struggled up trying to gain footing, the gentleman behind me said "well, we are all friends here" and boosted me up. After this it was a long run off trail. We were around me 20 when I was afraid my wheels were going to come off. I slowed down and said goodbye to a 50 miler I had been running and chatting with for quite a while. I was alone again.

Flags led me into the river...and up the river. Over downed logs, water knee deep to waist deep. It cooled me down... but the effort burned my quads. Flags finally directed me out..up the bank where The Devil greeted us...we were officially in Hell...fortunately... Hell had an aid station with drop bags. I refilled my bladder with G2, ate a bit of pbj, a few m&ms. And off I went..directed TO A ROAD! I was in pain and walked the road. It was awful...I was worried I had no run left. But, as soon as we ended up on a trail...I was OK and could run again.

At this point I don't recall much detail. I think we were mostly on hard pack, sometimes Rocky and always hilly Pottawatomie trail. The last aid station was at mile 25. I ate a little and set off. I had to stop and get some debris out of my shoes a couple of times. It was back to rough, rockie and hilly Poto trail. My quads were shot. I could no longer run up or down hills. Eventually..it was all walking. Relay runners would pass and say "good job ultra"...but it did not feel good. They were all very nice...but they were running...I was just walking. The last 2 miles took forever. I wanted to run and get it over with...but I could not.  Finally I saw I was at the end and managed to run in. The spectators were so nice! I got my medal. They asked how old I was (forgot to fill it out) and the told me I was first in my age group.I was aactually the only one in my age group. I beat all the old ladies that stayed home!

I finished in 8:11 and change. I am so happy I did that race...it was fun and challenging. I want a few more 50k races...next year I want to do DWD Hell...the 50 mile version.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your inspiration and encouragement!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Great report, moonlight!  I can't believe you ran that in VFFs!!!  You crazy old lady, you!  Smile  Big congrats on finishing your first ultra...I can't wait to hear about what you wind up doing next!  (p.s.  Lots of fun 50Ks across state lines in Wisconsin.)

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

First ultra? You know how to pick 'em.  Great job!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

moonlightrunner

Great report, moonlight!  I can't believe you ran that in VFFs!!!  You crazy old lady, you!  Smile  Big congrats on finishing your first ultra...I can't wait to hear about what you wind up doing next!  (p.s.  Lots of fun 50Ks across state lines in Wisconsin.

Some years ago I ran DWD Devils Lake (the half marathon). I ran it in vffs...but the big rocks made it uncomfortable because I don't have similar terrain to train on. It is all about conditioning the feet. I am trying to find real shoes I like...no luck so far. Considering DWD Devils Lake next summer.

moonlightrunner

First ultra? You know how to pick 'em.  Great job!

Thanks! It was a great adventure!

Sandy-2

Congratulations on the first Ultra.  Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Can't believe that you did it in VFF, but then again you might have lost "real" shoes in the muck.  Recover well.

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Congratulations on your first Ultra. I was visiting my wife's relatives out there that day but we went to the UP.  Rained most of the time and had some fairly heavy squalls on the way back down. I should have sent it all down to you .

Some year I'd like to run one of the races out there. I'm looking at the Hungerford Games up in the Big Rapids area.

Birdwell

Congrats! That first finish is always a big deal. You did great!

LB2

Congratulations. I have heard of that race, and your description is consistent with what I have heard.

LB2

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Wow, that sounds like some crazy terrain! I don't think I'd have been as cheery with all that mud and steep stuff. Congratulations on your first 50K.  Mine's next month. :-)

NorthernHarrier

Awesome job Moonlight. Very happy for you after all the work you have put into this. Well done!

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Great report.  Good descriptions of the trail, and the mud and the end of the race fatigue.

Best of all you did it!! good job.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

AT-runner

Tim

WAY TO GO!!!

Congratulations on you first ultra.  Sounds like a lot of fun, minus the jaw drop and devil and hell.

I'm very happy for you, you've come a long way.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congratulations- you now have joined an elite group that we call ultra runners Big grin  From reading your posts over the months, I know you've been training very hard- looks like it paid off nicely!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

Thanks guys! It was so fun...I can hardly wait for the next one. It has been a journey, and still so far to go. Running is joyful at any distance...but this was exceptionally so.