Trailer Trash

Record Setting Saturdaily (Read 46 times)

Chnaiur

Good Luck at WTC today Queen! I wish I could have been there, but even if my wife had been in town I wouldn't have run after 5 days straight of fever. Even had to cut my skiing short today and go sleep in the hotel.

QOTD: There are some areas in the Sierras that I'd like to run through, but I haven't mapped out the actual trails.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

SillyC

Six today - two with my kid and 4 by myself.

Yes, and he did well on a hilly course.  2:08

The biggest challenges were mainly around getting him to understand that I was an experienced runner whose advice could help him.  !  I also had to learn to  take the anger and frustration he often felt with 'bad' runs and aimed at me in stride.  Side stitches, crappy weather, etc.  It was usually my fault, even though this HM was his idea.  He was pretty motivated on his own, but often needed encouragement on the long runs.

My unsolicited advice:  1) map out a training plan with extra weeks of buffer, 2) find a local running group that you both can run with- it helped DS to run with others and not always 'just mom'.  The members also gave him advice and motivation. and 3) do at least one race before the HM that helps get mileage and experience- - DS did a ten miler 3 weeks before and it helped a lot.

Thanks!  I'm fairly optimistic about personality issues.  We've done a lot of long hikes and ski trips together already, so we have a lot of coping skills for "bad times".  What I anticipate being an issue for us is squeezing in weekday runs.  We don't typically get home until 6pm, and both DD and I can be slowpokes about getting changed.

But those are great tips!  When I explained how a training plan worked, DD already suggested starting the training plan early so that she could have a couple of weeks off for things like field hockey tournaments and sleepover parties.    It hadn't occurred to me to go out with a running club (I belong to several), but that's a good idea!  I'll keep an eye out for longer races.  She's done a bunch of 5ks over the years, but we pretty much just hack those.

And the side stitches, what's with that?  Do they go away?  DD has been getting a lot of them and I told her that they'll stop after she's run regularly more.  But I was totally lying.

Watoni

Go Queen!

I ended up with about 18 miles on the trails with a little over 3600 feet of climbing. New "version" of my shoes ended up fitting differently so ouch! I had about 4 miles on horse "trails" home from the real trail head, so I turned off the GPS and limped home on my aching feet, so about 22 miles total.

Occasional Runner

I ran 101.7 miles but had only planned for 100. That last 1.7 sucked.

runtraildc

And the side stitches, what's with that?  Do they go away?  DD has been getting a lot of them and I told her that they'll stop after she's run regularly more.  But I was totally lying.

They did go away, eventually.  But not fast enough.  He also learned to not eat to soon before a run, which seemed to help.

And the running club helped a lot with the  scheduled weekday evening runs.  Especially since we were often running in the dark.

good luck!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

SillyC, traildc, what I found challenging when running with my DD and DS was to get them to start out fairly slow. They used to take off like a rocket, leaving me in the dust, and then not be able to run after a mile or half a mile (the 5-year old). It took many chopped-up runs for them to realize that a slower pace let's them run longer, and that there is a balance somewhere, a "natural pace", where they can still be fast, but go longer. Side stitches seem to be a bigger issue the younger the kid is, and it takes a long training period for them to disappear.

Run for fun.

Watoni

I ran 101.7 miles but had only planned for 100. That last 1.7 sucked.

Funny!