Trailer Trash

Siberian Saturdailly (Read 200 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Good Morning- everyone must be out running! Smile

headed out for a 15 miler w/ a buddy- it's going to be chilly 11 degrees, windchill 5

qotd: do you stretch before/ after/ both/neither running?  I know I should, but I don't much- I do use a roller pre-runs and often post runs

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

15-mile trail run ... brrr it was cold. QOTD: i stretch in the mornings and before my runs.

mtwarden and Phreak: Cold does get old after a while...but it's still better than hot!

URD. Woke up late, then we had to go downtown to meet a friend and finish Christmas shopping, and before I knew it the day was over. Oh, well. Life.

QOTD: Never before, occasionally after if something feels tight.

Ultra Cowboy

Got 5 miles in last night after work on rolling hills in the downtown/uptown streets, after battling with my headlamp that gave up the ghost finally.  The last headlamp in the local running store was a pink Princeton tech.  Eh no one sees it in the dark and I can't see what color it is when it is on my head. 

QOTD

When I am running with a group I will stretch post run while the tail-enders finish up.  If I am not waiting for somebody I seldom stretch.  Roller when I get localized tightness and soreness. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

NorthernHarrier

Greetings,

Pretty quiet around here. Slept in, I can be a lazy slug at times.  Just finished a session of weights and will be heading out shortly for an afternoon of bushwack snowshoeing. Daughter would rather make cookies with my wife than come along. I have failed as a father.  Confused

QOTD-- Interesting debates by the so-called experts on the value/damage of pre-run stretching. I only know what has worked for me for years. I do stretching sessions about 5 times a week just at some point during the day. Usually not right before running. Sometimes will stretch out my left IT band or my right calf just before if I have a feeling.

runtraildc

windy here out east.  Hope to get 4 or 5 in later this afternoon, but went to yoga this morning. which kind of answer the QOTD.  I do minimal stretching before or after runs but get to yoga quite often.

have a good day all! 

Birdwell

Coldish (25 or so with 10 mph winds) , but sunny here today. I'm going out for 15 or so as soon as I finish getting the ribs rubbed up and on the smoker for dinner. 

Qotd: stretch? Honestly, never. No roller or anything else either. If I feel tight, I head to the pool for a while. 

sugnim

End of the world group run last night followed by pizza & wine.  Good times.  I guess we outran the meteor, or whatever was supposed to kill us.  rest day today.  WTF, I might even take the long weekend off and use "tapering" as an excuse since I have 2 races next weekend.

QOTD:  I do some dynamic stretching before long runs & races, and I do static stretching after long runs, hard runs, or whenever something hurts.  I also do stretching & balancing exercises at the copy machine at work.

NorthernHarrier: You have not failed as a father if your daughter wants to make cookies with her mom anymore than your wife could be said to have filed as a mother if your daughter chose to go snowshoeing with you.  I think there are millions of kids who would love to have you guys as parents & have a choice between snowshoeing and cookie baking for a weekend activity!

AT-runner

Tim

Good afternoon trailers.  I thought I had a SRD yesterday, but a friend called after he received a tip that some high risk HS students, and their counselors were camping along the AT, at one of the shelters.  We got a few runners together and bought boxes of hot chocolate and granola bars and did an evening run.  They were pretty surprised to see the headlamps flashing along the trail.  We told them it was "Christmas Trail Magic" and talked by the fire for a bit and then went on our way.  We got hugs from several of the kids and counselors.  Really put me in the Christmas Spirit, and I am thankful that I have an awesome friend who gets me into these situations.

Today did 5 windy miles dodging downed trees along the way.

Hope everyone has a great day, We're off to Oregon.

QOTD: Never stretch before, mild stretching after.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

Got invited to join a local running group called "Happy Utah Mountain Runners" (HUMR). We all met this morning for a mountainous trail run in the wasatch. There are a lot of elite level runner's in the group. They had a fire, food and beer waiting for back at the trailhead when we were done. These guys don't mess around!

QOTD: I never stretch.

runtraildc

Good afternoon trailers.  I thought I had a SRD yesterday, but a friend called after he received a tip that some high risk HS students, and their counselors were camping along the AT, at one of the shelters.  We got a few runners together and bought boxes of hot chocolate and granola bars and did an evening run.  They were pretty surprised to see the headlamps flashing along the trail.  We told them it was "Christmas Trail Magic" and talked by the fire for a bit and then went on our way.  We got hugs from several of the kids and counselors.  Really put me in the Christmas Spirit, and I am thankful that I have an awesome friend who gets me into these situations.

AT-- Having worked with  youth from all kinds of backgrounds in  outdoor programs, I am sure that you made these kids trip and left an amazing impression they will not forget.  Thank you-

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Siberian describes it perfectly! Watching the wind gusts driving the sparse snow flakes horizontally this morning, I realized I don't have windproof mittens (well, I have some huge covers from mountaineering, but they are not comfortable for running), so I called it a rest day. I think I'm getting a bit lazy!

Two of the kids are coming down with a cold or such, and they are behaving according to how they're feeling - crappy, crabby, cranky. Oh well.

But we finished a self-made gingerbread house and decorated it, that was fun. I might post a picture later.

warden: Isn't it funny that when you're heading out with a buddy, any weather is "no big deal", whereas when you're on your own, a bit of wind chill is already a good excuse for not running?

Phreak: Nice run. Hot shower should warm you up again.

majope: Is the Christmas shopping in Finland different from the American shopping?

Rocky: Real guys wear pink!

Harrier: She'll bake the cookies, you're going to eat them!

traildc: Hope you'll get your run in today. Perhaps stay out of the woods!

Birdwell: Hope you'll be back for dinner...

sugnim: In this weather, tapering sounds like fun!

ATR: Love the "Christmas Trail Magic"! What a wonderful idea!

lace: Sounds like a group that's worth joining. How often in a week do they run?

QOTD: I don't stretch pre-run, or maybe on occasion, when something feels tight, or when my running buddy does some extensive stretching before heading off. It's more a social thing for me. After a longer run, I often stretch out my calves, thighs, and hips briefly, before I get into the car. I don't like having to drive with the "running" feel in my legs.

When I tuck in my youngest kids at night, I often stretch (more yoga-like) in their room, while they have to be quiet in the dark. Makes them fall asleep very quickly!

Edit: Here's the gingerbread house:

Run for fun.

Afternoon folks!  Sorry my posting has been so spotty lately, but I've been out running!  Got in 4 hours of soaking wet, sloppy, muddy trail running on Thursday (about 16 miles), 11 miles on the road on Friday and an easy 6 today.  (Today was a group run starting from a local running store; we finished our run with coffee and Christmas cookies).  Tomorrow we'll probably hit the trails again for more sloppy (and likely snowy) fun.

AT-runner: that is an AWESOME story!

qotd: not much stretching for me, although I've been stretching my calves a bit since they feel pretty tight.

Weegee

Great job!  Looking back on my short time teaching (the three years I describe as "the longest decade of my life") it seems that the "at-risk" kids were the ones I remember most fondly.  You knew the well-behaved ones were going to do fine and end up as happy bankers or lawyers, but the ones on the edge really needed to know somebody cared about them no matter what.

6 miles today, followed by about 10 holiday cookies.

QOTD: My stretching routine consists of extending both arms out wide and clapping my hands, saying "Let's go!"

Occasional Runner

Afternoon folks!  Sorry my posting has been so spotty lately, but I've been out running!  Got in 4 hours of soaking wet, sloppy, muddy trail running on Thursday (about 16 miles), 11 miles on the road on Friday and an easy 6 today.  (Today was a group run starting from a local running store; we finished our run with coffee and Christmas cookies).  Tomorrow we'll probably hit the trails again for more sloppy (and likely snowy) fun.

AT-runner: that is an AWESOME story!

qotd: not much stretching for me, although I've been stretching my calves a bit since they feel pretty tight.

Where do you go for your trail running? When I lived in the Seattle area, I wasn't a runner, but I knew the area pretty well. If memory serves, you guys live near (or IN) the city.