Trailer Trash

Good Adventure Books? (Read 263 times)

Uh oh... now what?

ETA:  Endurance by Lansing.  I have a few other books about the expedition that have Endurance in the title but the Lansing book is the classic tale, I believe.

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage Alfred Lansing, Basic Books, ISBN 978-0-7867-0621-1 (as if anyone used ISBNs any longer)

One of the best written stories of man's incredible ability to survive.

Six new books for Christmas, just finished Cabeza de Vaca (ten-year long ultra?), now on to learning about tides.

Occasional Runner

Becoming Odyssa, by Jennifer Pharr Davis was an excellent book. Davis writes an epic story of her hike through the AT. Later, she goes on to set the speed record for covering the entire trail. It's a really excellent story.

I'm surprised so many people enjoyed Wild. I thought that book was totally lacking. The author had a series of social disorders and was a pretty terrible person. She went on a hike a section (nowhere near the entirety) of the PCT and wrote about it. I closed that book wondering how it ever got published. I really did not like the author and found it impossible to connect with her or feel good about her little hike and what she gained from it. She really just needed to grow up.

Becoming Odyssa, by Jennifer Pharr Davis was an excellent book. Davis writes an epic story of her hike through the AT. Later, she goes on to set the speed record for covering the entire trail. It's a really excellent story.

I'm surprised so many people enjoyed Wild. I thought that book was totally lacking. The author had a series of social disorders and was a pretty terrible person. She went on a hike a section (nowhere near the entirety) of the PCT and wrote about it. I closed that book wondering how it ever got published. I really did not like the author and found it impossible to connect with her or feel good about her little hike and what she gained from it. She really just needed to grow up.

I really enjoyed "Wild." Perhaps because I was fairly completely ignorant about the PCT prior to reading it,  but I enjoyed her writing about grief especially. I think she really nailed now some of those feelings can overtake one's entire life and impact a lot of the decisions one makes. On the other hand, I do agree that she has some serious issues. Although, I don't think she necessarily denies that. Additionally, I read her advice column "Dear Sugar" on the Rumpus.com prior to reading "Wild" so I had a pretty good idea of who she was already going into the book.

Others I've recently enjoyed:

"Life without Limits" Chrissy Wellington

"Running on Empty" Marshall Ulrich

"Finding Ultra" Rich Roll <--- Motivational, but is also a non-stop plug for veganism and his own products Roll eyes

Trail Monster

Hmmm, maybe the point was that being entirely dependent on herself instead of men and drugs did make her grow up? I think I connected with it because I could have written it ten years ago.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop