Trailer Trash

Dances with Dirt - Devil's Lake (Read 34 times)

Messenjah

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what race I can use for a WS 100 qualifier and found Dances with Dirt - Devil's Lake to be a fairly close 50 miler. Anyone done it? Thoughts on using that one for a qualifier?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Those are some of my home trails, Brad.  I'll give you the run down a little bit when I have more time.

p.s  You should have signed up for Ice Age 50 if you wanted a good WS qualifier.  Next year!

Running is dumb.

Scrapster

I love training out at Devil's Lake.  The course was changed last year, so if you are reading course reviews on line, know that the 2012 race reports are the only accurate ones out there.

I can't comment on WS qualifying, as I've never looked at those standards.  What I can tell you is that the whole course is runnable if you are a strong climber.  There is a long stretch through open meadows, and if you have problems running in the heat, that section especially is a killer (because it doesn't suck enough running in July in WI up on the bluffs).

Aid stations in the bluffs have been known to run out of (or low on) water and food.  This was a problem in 2011, but not in 2012.  In fact, last year Randy was out delivering coolers of ice to all of the aid stations.

I, personally, would pick IA over DL if you are looking to run a fast course/time.  

Also, if you have specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.  Smile

Messenjah

I wanted to sign up for IA 50 but didn't get around to it. That's why I am considering Dances with Dirt. I really need to get my hydration down as you noticed at the Equalizer. I just got crazy dehydrated.

Those are some of my home trails, Brad.  I'll give you the run down a little bit when I have more time.

p.s  You should have signed up for Ice Age 50 if you wanted a good WS qualifier.  Next year!