Trailer Trash

Running with dogs...what kind of leash? (Read 34 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Lots of runners here run with their dogs...and lots knowledable about training.

I have tried to train her to do simple obedience...and part of the problem is she is not food oriented. If she is on a leash or away from ho.e or around other people she will not take a treat. When I try to do anything but run with her on the leash she turns into a statue, her eyes dial ate and that is all she wrote. I am going to try to run with a shorter leash. I prefer her out in front of me because the trails I run are mostly too narrow for both and too densy wooded for her to Run next to me. She and I need a professional trainer, but I can't afford one right now.

My dog is also not food motivated.  Or toy motivated.  Or anything, really, when she is outside.  She's a hound.  When we are outside, she is focused on hunting, on sniffing, and I essentially disappear and become insignificant.  If she gets off leash, she's totally gone.  Doesn't come back.  Doesn't listen worth a damn.  I've had a few good scares over the years.  She doesn't run beside me either - she runs in front on leash.  Maybe I suck as a dog owner, but it's a heck of a lot easier on singletrack as you pointed out.

No dog is perfect.  They all have some sort of flaw.  I feel totally confident with my dog around any children of any age.  They could poke her, prod her, crawl all over her and she wouldn't do a thing.  She loves all people, gets along with all other dogs, and totally obedient as long as we are indoors.  I am lucky to have such a wonderful dog even though I will never be able to have her off leash.  (Nor will she play fetch.  *sigh*)   So you'll never have the perfect dog...so what?  You learn to work around their issues. That's the way I look at it.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Well said, Mandy.

My dog was not food oriented, either, it was just those little treats (Frolic rings cut into quarters, I don't know if that dog food is known here in America, but it's a popular chow in Europe) that she liked. Nothing else as a treat, so I used canned dog food and some fresh stuff for "food", and the Frolic as "treats".

With some dogs, it's not as easy as going out for a run, and the dog runs with you without any issues. Most dogs, actually, I think.

It's a different kind of workout, with stop-and-go, and some sprints in between. Good for speed and for cardio, for sure. Just go with it and enjoy, and do the long or purposeful runs on your own.

Run for fun.