Trailer Trash

Long Run Endurance Question (Read 47 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

What is a better measure of long run enduance (i.e. being in better shape) - feeling good at the end (maybe the last 1/3 of the run) of a Long Run or having a fast recovery (feeling good the next day)? I ask because this because I don't usually have both.  I can feel poor at the end of my LRs but then recovery well.  Or I have felt great towards the end of the LRs but seem to take a bit longer to recover.  I don't know if it has to do with my pace - maybe if I am not "feeling it" then I slow down and the opposite is true when I feel good at the end of the LRs.  Not sure...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Can't answer the question, but just my experience-I rarely feel "good" (often OK though Smile) at the end of a long run, but I do gauge my endurance/fitness on how quickly (or slowly) my recovery is

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Irish Luck

This is tough because if I feel well at the end of a run, I start to doubt the effort I put into said run ("Could I have gone faster? Longer?").

As for next day recovery, I think that is not just about fitness, but the type of terrain you were on. It's going to be more for me if I did tons of hills or rocky terrain versus more miles on a rail-trail.

I balked at giving you an answer.  Roll eyes I'm of no help.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This is tough because if I feel well at the end of a run, I start to doubt the effort I put into said run ("Could I have gone faster? Longer?").

As for next day recovery, I think that is not just about fitness, but the type of terrain you were on. It's going to be more for me if I did tons of hills or rocky terrain versus more miles on a rail-trail.

I balked at giving you an answer.  Roll eyes I'm of no help.

No -  thanks for answering.  Terrain absolutely has to do with the recovery.  Thanks!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

For me...recovery time is my best gauge for level of fitness.  I do factor in overall recovery from the previous weeks worth of efforts when looking at this.

I would consider how well I feel on the run to be an indication of how well I had recovered from previous efforts.

If I felt good the last 1/3 of a 20 mile run, but recovery was longer than expected, I would attribute this to having a strong endurance motor, but my legs are not keeping up and I would work on "time on feet" and maybe hill/speed work.

**Ask me about streaking**