Trailer Trash

Gait Analysis for Shoes (Read 30 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I thought about posting about this in the "Heel Drop" thread, but decided it probably deserves it's own...

Do you think the type of "Gait Analysis" they perform at LRS's is useful for selecting trail running shoes? At all?

They push this pretty hard at my LRS (Roadrunner Sports)...you can't walk in there without them offering up the service...same with Jackrabbit Sports in NYC.  I've never done it myself but I admit I am a bit curious about it.

**Ask me about streaking**

I personally think it is all bogus. My ego would like to think I know more about running & running shoes then the employee at a chain running shoe store so I don't go for it.

Experience from friends of mine tell me it is also bogus. I know people who have gotten it done at those stores and been recommended terrible shoes and great shoes. Like in the other thread, your best bet it to go by your own feel and judgement. Unless of course your having it professionally done at some sort of super running sports doctor's office.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I personally think it is all bogus. My ego would like to think I know more about running & running shoes then the employee at a chain running shoe store so I don't go for it.

Experience from friends of mine tell me it is also bogus. I know people who have gotten it done at those stores and been recommended terrible shoes and great shoes. Like in the other thread, your best bet it to go by your own feel and judgement. Unless of course your having it professionally done at some sort of super running sports doctor's office.

Haha, I actually called that store yesterday to ask "Do you carry any of inov8's trail running shoes...in the TrailRoc series".  After going and looking the guy came back and told me that "inov8 doesn't make a trail running shoe" (grit teeth).

There is a "super running sports doctor's office" near my parents house that my mom has been trying to sell me on.  She worries about me running in VFF's (I'm guessing it won't be possible to get them anymore in a couple years anyways).  I just don't know what I would do with the info they gave me if I got a legit gait analysis.

**Ask me about streaking**

Trail Monster

They tell me I'm neutral, mid foot strike with good form. I don't really care if its right or wrong... I just like to hear how good I look. Wink

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

If I travel a little further from my local running stores, Ithere is a good running store run by a really good local runner.  They do a proper gait analysis.  Not sure how it translates to the trails but it helped me a few years ago with ITBS.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

The last time DS got a pair of shoes we stopped at a new store for us. I think they have been in business for quite some time. They watched him while he ran with different shoes on and were able to discuss differences they saw in his gait. The people there that day were obviously runners who knew running, but whether  or not their gait analysis helped is up for debate. He left for Basic training shortly after that so I haven't been able to discuss the shoes with him.

In the end I will wear what feels best for me regardless of what is recommended.

Deltarose

I've had some mixed results with the LRS gait analysis:

The good: I was developing a Morton's neuroma and was in terrible pain. When I went to see about replacing my worn out shoes, the salesman/ owner did a gait analysis and took me out of my stability shoes. Amazingly, this reversed my neuroma.

The not so good: for the gait analysis they had me run barefoot on the treadmill.  At the time I was told I had a light, efficient gait and that I landed "correctly" on my forefoot....years later I was having hip issues and went to a human performance lab associated with the local University for a high-speed video analysis of my gait/movement.

Here's what they found:

With shoes: total heel striker.

Without shoes: light, efficient forefoot runner

While this didn't inspire me to run barefoot or re-think my shoes, it did make me wonder about how useful the LRS gait analysis had been. I don't know if all shoe stores do a gait analysis barefoot, but my understanding is that it is not uncommon to have a forefoot landing while barefoot since this is a natural, protective reaction - but that doesn't mean I always run like that.

If anything, my gait analysis experiences have convinced me to just run in the shoes that I find comfortable and reliable.

On a side note, I also have noticed that on steep rocky climbs I tend to be up on my toes, and on rough trail terrain my gait is shifting often to adjust to the footing...so I don't know if you could say I am heel striking the whole time since a good portion of my runs I am running up canyons/mountains and am on my toes anyway....I don't think all shoe sales people get that idea....trails don't provide a single repetitive gait the way a road marathon might....

Chnaiur

A newspaper reporter in Stockholm, Sweden, went into five different, well-established LRS to get their gait analyses. They offered five different answers and five different shoes, from over-pronation, full support to no pronation, neutral shoe. Just saying.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I think they are a tool that the LRS uses to sell you on stuff you don't need, at least that was my impressions with it.

You people have issues