Trailer Trash

What are your favorite gels? (Read 68 times)

ceezy

Appreciate the response...still keep going back to the Clif Shot from Running Warehouse.

I would try some others, but at a 24 pack for $25.95, it's the cheapest option.

Think I will go with the Double Espresso again (as I like the caffeine) and a Raspberry?

I also like the thought of the jug type as I could make my own serving size, and really stretch that dollar out, but think I will just stick with the pouch style for now.  Is there a way to just take a shot or two with you?  Like a little refillable pouch or something? Typically run with a handheld...like sticking a gel in the little bottle pocket.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I use GU Peanut Butter, good stuff.

I just got a free big jug of First Endurance Liquid Shot w/ a coupon.  I've used

it twice, 20 and 16 miler, seems to work well but tastes like medicine.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Nice setup, sandy, you are one organized trail runner, 3 setups for 3 loops. Nice.

I guess these... (getting ready for a 3 loop 50 miler.)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I wasn't going to post but....

am I the only one that doesn't like gels? I will use once in a while otherwise I cannot stand them.  Pretty sure it's the consistency not the taste.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

ceezy

Nice setup, sandy, you are one organized trail runner, 3 setups for 3 loops. Nice.

Yes. Smile

Sandy-2

Thanks.  The gels and a little more stuff got crammed into the handheld mesh things.  The bottles are frozen and will be in a cooler at the S/F.  When I go thru I just change out the whole setup each time.  Takes a few seconds.  I may not do all 3 gels on each loop, but it's better to have them along than need one.  There are also aid stations at 5 or 6 mile intervals, so I'll only carry one handheld, but I froze a few extra bottles in case I feel the need to carry two when it gets hot.  Although I always go light, if it's a loop course I put a few extras at the S/F just in case.

I also like to mix up the flavors and brands, just to have some variety.  I do tend to like PowerGels, Hammer and Gu Roctane.

Then again I have had the whole thing go sideways and eat "real food" off the tables.  Just gotta go with whatever is working on the day.

tbd.

BenTN

Appreciate the response...still keep going back to the Clif Shot from Running Warehouse.

I would try some others, but at a 24 pack for $25.95, it's the cheapest option.

Think I will go with the Double Espresso again (as I like the caffeine) and a Raspberry?

I also like the thought of the jug type as I could make my own serving size, and really stretch that dollar out, but think I will just stick with the pouch style for now.  Is there a way to just take a shot or two with you?  Like a little refillable pouch or something? Typically run with a handheld...like sticking a gel in the little bottle pocket.

If I only want 2 or 3 oz then I only put that much in the flask.

One really nice thing about the flask on trails....no trash, don't have to worry about dropping those little tabs.

I wasn't going to post but....

am I the only one that doesn't like gels? I will use once in a while otherwise I cannot stand them.  Pretty sure it's the consistency not the taste.

Most gels are sickening sweet to me - to the point where I tasted one then didn't try any for many years. I prefer the simplicity of a sports drink. However, when looking at more efficient ways to deal with using stream water (38mi between trailheads), I thought about using gels. I made gel from sports drink (jury's out on how that worked), but then last year found the Peanut Butter GU, which is actually decent for me. I've only used a couple of them and not in a race yet. It's not really sweet and not fruity.

Most of the time, I'd rather have trail mix or M&M's or shot bloks or whatever.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

That's alot of gels for a 50 miler.  I haven't done a 50 miler yet but started getting into the ultra stuff this year.  Ran my first 50K and just love the mileage and trails.  Anyway, I found that after a certain time out there, I need solid food because I can't do the gels anymore.  And damn, paydays are great on those long runs.