Trailer Trash

Canines and Muzzles when on Trails (Read 40 times)

NorthernHarrier

Just a couple comments--It is not cool to have your dog unleashed going towards a leashed dog. My perfect dogs become very agitated when tethered around an untethered dog. Kind of like someone holding your arms behind you while an aggressive dude is trying to brawl. Not to mention just being disrespectful. As soon as they are released there is not a problem and the dogs just do there little social thing. But why not exercise control of your unleashed dog. My dog Cloe will stop in her tracks on my command and she'll come sprinting back with just one voice command irregardless of the distraction.  If you're taking your dog in semi-public areas with your dog off leash it is your responsibility to have your dog trained like that. Keep your unleashed dog away from me if my dogs are leashed. It's real simple. And respectful.

As far as e-collars I have used them for years BUT---they are not to be a shortcut for proper training.

As far as muzzles I don't give them any thought. I once put a muzzle in one of my neighbors mailbox that had a dog with an incessant bark. Also included an ad for a bark collar. Dogs are easy to deal with, it's usually the dumb ass owners that are impossible.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'll use the E-collar to make sure my commands are coming through clearly. I don't have all the time in the world to get frustrated training my dog out on the trails only to come back home or to our shop and every stranger walking through the door to basically erode everything I just worked hard at during my only time away from my toddler son, I've used an E-collar before, on my now deceased dog and it worked wonderfully and was only needed for a couple of months so even though it will take some time I expect the e-collar will help me just the same with Rocky while on the trail.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

runfastandie

I'm a dog hater so I'm a really good person to ask :-)

Actually- I like dogs with good owners and fur that doesn't make my hand stink for a week.

The muzzle thing kind of freaks me out.  Off leash is usually fine on the trails (for me). Generally the owner will take the collar and stick the leash on as a run by.  There is an area of our trail system that I notice people walk their dogs off leash (very unpopulated, lots of water ponds and you can see people coming).  I actually don't run that part anymore because I felt bad that those doggies were enjoying some freedom and I squelched that.

I'm more afraid of a tight leash than a loose leash.  When an owner runs and the leash is loosely attached to their waste I know they are good doggies. When an owner is NOT using calm assertive (love me some dog whisperer) and they are tugging on the collar I really get nervous.

As a non dog owner, good dogs aren't an issue.  Muzzled good dogs wouldn't be an issue either but it might make me nervous. In general, you can easily tell by the tail what they are going to do. And if I stop in my tracks and stare at the owner then they usually call their dog.

The worst is when the dogs are barking up a storm and the owner says, "oh - she is friendly." HAAAAAA. right. A dog going nuts aggressively barking at me is not a safe thing.   Good dog until the bite my butt!!!

That turned into kind of  a dog vent! I'll stop here.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Rocky might run up on people real fast and excitedly (for now.... I will be working on that problem real soon......) but he doesn't bark at people, hell he doesn't even defend me and I don't think he ever would. If someone was attacking me, I think he would be more concerned about them not giving him any attention. Not only does his tail wag, but his butt wags so badly that his whole body is moving fast. By the time he reaches a person he is doing this whole little jiggy dance thing and acting all puppy like...... strange men used to ask me if my other dog was friendly because she would never care to walk up to anybody, men mainly and if she wanted to see a woman are child she would just amble up to them like a bear's slow walk. I would lie to the strange men and say no she isn't friendly because you never know WHY they are asking. I couldn't do that with Rocky, his body language would be saying the truth Sad

This morning's predawn run went well for him (I was dealing with clumsiness Sad ), he actually stayed right behind me 90% of the 5 miles but again there was nobody else out there and dogs don't have nearly as good eyesight in the dark as cats so maybe he just didn't want to be up ahead without a light.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

moonlightrunner

My dog stays closer to me in the dark also. She will usually stay in front of me in my light cone.

I leash my dog at the state park where I am afraid if she takes off she will lose me and head to the parking lot before I get there. Then...I found by park personnel I might end up with a fat fine. Also, there are mtn bikers. They come suddenly and fast. I want to be between the biker and my dog at all times. Even though she barks I would not put a muzzle on her under any circumstances unless she needed to for vet treatment. Running through the woods there is too much likelyhood for it to be caught on something.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

True. and if she did get away from you even for a minute or two and ran into a not so nice wild animal she wouldn't be able to defend herself with a muzzle on. How long is your leash and do you hold it in your hand or is it one of those around your waist? I figure someday I will take Rocky to a state park and will probably be best to leash him.

My dog stays closer to me in the dark also. She will usually stay in front of me in my light cone.

I leash my dog at the state park where I am afraid if she takes off she will lose me and head to the parking lot before I get there. Then...I found by park personnel I might end up with a fat fine. Also, there are mtn bikers. They come suddenly and fast. I want to be between the biker and my dog at all times. Even though she barks I would not put a muzzle on her under any circumstances unless she needed to for vet treatment. Running through the woods there is too much likelyhood for it to be caught on something.

PRs