Trailer Trash

Bear 100 RR- Deeply Sorry for the Delay. I was tired... (Read 51 times)

Watoni

Once again, an amazing job on a tough course. The cold and mud just added to the degree of difficulty, it seems. It should be easier to dress for running than cycling in changing conditions, but I find it harder running since I have less experience there.

Also, your time is impressive for the hardest run of your life (which is saying something in and of itself). One question is how the altitude compares to something like Leadville in terms of difficulty. 25:34 indicates sub 25 and sub 24 are in the cards for you.

Occasional Runner

Once again, an amazing job on a tough course. The cold and mud just added to the degree of difficulty, it seems. It should be easier to dress for running than cycling in changing conditions, but I find it harder running since I have less experience there.

Also, your time is impressive for the hardest run of your life (which is saying something in and of itself). One question is how the altitude compares to something like Leadville in terms of difficulty. 25:34 indicates sub 25 and sub 24 are in the cards for you.

I think I'm fully capable of a sub 24 hour time at Leadville but it just never works out for me. I'm beginning to think it's a function of timing. I seem to have all my best performances early and then later in the year. Peak cycles maybe?

We were running around 8000' for most of the race and frequently went above 9000'. It didn't really seem to bother me much and I don't think altitude is a major contributor to my issues with Leadville.I'm going to give Leadville one more shot and see how it goes.

Watoni

I think I'm fully capable of a sub 24 hour time at Leadville but it just never works out for me. I'm beginning to think it's a function of timing. I seem to have all my best performances early and then later in the year. Peak cycles maybe?

We were running around 8000' for most of the race and frequently went above 9000'. It didn't really seem to bother me much and I don't think altitude is a major contributor to my issues with Leadville.I'm going to give Leadville one more shot and see how it goes.

I think you are fully capable of sub-24 on both Leadville and the Bear

Low_O2

Nice job once again! Looks like a great course. I might need to quit reading your reports, my list of races to run someday keeps on growing...

Occasional Runner

Nice job once again! Looks like a great course. I might need to quit reading your reports, my list of races to run someday keeps on growing...

With your skills, this is a perfect race for you.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I liked reading this report. It's good to know you are human - well part human anyway.  Very interesting how you and Britta basically drove each other to do better.

I have a few questions:

1.) What percentage did you use the black diamond z poles? What's you opinion on them? Were you able to store them ok in your pack?

2.) What percentage of time do you think you go without seeing other runners in your 100s? (I realize this may change drastically depending on the race)

3.) What happened to your headlamp? You seem to have bad luck with them - or maybe just because you use them so much

Thanks again for sharing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

I liked reading this report. It's good to know you are human - well part human anyway.  Very interesting how you and Britta basically drove each other to do better.

I have a few questions:

1.) What percentage did you use the black diamond z poles? What's you opinion on them? Were you able to store them ok in your pack?

2.) What percentage of time do you think you go without seeing other runners in your 100s? (I realize this may change drastically depending on the race)

3.) What happened to your headlamp? You seem to have bad luck with them - or maybe just because you use them so much

Thanks again for sharing.

1) I only used them for one section of the course, which was 9 miles long. They were fine, but I'm not a fan of using poles. I never stored them. I grabbed them at an aid station and held onto them until the next aid station.

2) I probably go 60% of the race in total solitude. It might be different further back in the pack though.

3) My damn batteries died! I was able to use that same headlamp at Leadville and never had any issue with it. I only got 5 hours with it at the Bear before it died. It may be human error though.

Occasional Runner

I neglected to mention this in my race report but it may be a worthy topic here.

I've never been a big fan of gels because they bother my stomach after a few hours. Hammer Nutrition just came out with a new peanut butter gel and I really liked the flavor. I decided to use this gel in the early miles of the Bear 100 and switch to Perpetuem when I got tired of the gel. But that never happened. I ran the entire 100 miles by using peanut butter gel as my primary fuel source.

I think it might be because the peanut butter isn't sweet so my stomach never got sour. At any rate, if you have gel issues, you might check this out.

I use the bulk bottles and fill gel flasks and mix a bit of water in so it thins out.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congrats on a great finish!  what a wonderful finish for Britta for her first 100, she has to be elated Smile

We had a local runner that had to give up at mile 62 due to a nagging knee issue, he mentioned the word cold about 20 times in his short race report- sounds like he wasn't exaggerating a bit Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

Congrats on a great finish!  what a wonderful finish for Britta for her first 100, she has to be elated Smile

We had a local runner that had to give up at mile 62 due to a nagging knee issue, he mentioned the word cold about 20 times in his short race report- sounds like he wasn't exaggerating a bit Big grin

Britta had a very impressive run. She was a 100 mile rookie but she's a very accomplished runner and is always a threat to win marathons and shorter distance ultras. In our running club, she's decided I'm the runner she wants to be competitive with. We definitely feed off each other.

Yeah...it was chilly.