Trailer Trash

Ranting (not totally non runner related but mostly) (Read 73 times)

Oh and maybe one of my biggest rants of all, why oh why must you throw your cigarette butt out the car window? It's bad enough you are polluting my air with the second hand smoke but do you really need to flick the butt out of the window?

Somebody in their parked car did that near my "home" delivery mailbox. He left his window open. I picked up the butt (very carefully), handed it to him, and said "excuse me, sir, but I think you dropped this". He took it back. (probably threw it out down the next block, but it made me feel good to make him aware)

My neighbors who smoked used to drop their butts in the road all the time. (they've moved)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    NorthernHarrier

Sat here for a few minutes debating if I should post but then figured letting it all out is good therapy so...   BTW it is a long venting that you don't need to read-it just felt good airing it out.

As some of you may recall from the other site we have one weekend a summer up at my shack when my wife likes to have her entire family up at our cabin. For me it is always a pure hell weekend but I play along. She does not look with clarity at some members of her family and tries to find the good in all and we all know one has to tread lightly in criticizing your partner's family.  In any event we end up with a bunch of people up there that can't entertain themselves, have no interest other than alcohol, do nothing outdoors, and basically look to us to entertain them. Every fucking year we play this game and it always ends up with some "discussions" between DW and myself along with me repairing things they wreck.

This year however topped the charts. So you do a lot of prep for the weekend and then they start showing up about noon on Friday bringing carloads of junk food. Should mention that at least 3 members of the family easily exceed 300lbs.  Not once did I hear anyone ask if I need any help with anything not that I would want these people getting in my way but an offer would sound nice. My 43 year old BIL who never talks to his kids just goes out to one of the picnic tables by himself with a beer and just starts playing chess on his smart phone. Mr. personality.  The rest of the people just take over the cabin, junk food all over and you can't move in there as everyone is in there because of the mosquitoes. Oh yeah, it's about 70F outside and beautiful but it's too cold for them.  And yes I do leave for periods of time to go do nice trail runs then come back and jump in the water to rinse off. I get the looks of bewilderment. Gin clear water but only myself, my daughter, and a 12 year old girl go swimming.

I have a nice fire pit with stacks of split dry wood but these people have no clue how the wood gets there. I watch a SIL put six logs on the fire and proceed to go back in the cabin. WTF!

I go in to my bathroom to get chapstick and I see that someone has fouled the toilet seat. So now I'm cleaning and sanitizing fixtures. Also find out from my DW that on just Saturday morning alone we went thru 5 rolls of toilet paper. I'll say it again--5 rolls.  Well let me tell you what eventually happened late Saturday afternoon --sewer line blockage.  What a fucking surprise.   Now as much as that pissed me off it was actually a blessing. I also have a nice outhouse on the property that has a vinyl floor, screened window, etc. so no big deal for me but when the guest's learned they would have to use it half of them headed home. The other morons want to head to the basement and look at sewer lines and try to act like they know something. I just told DW that I would get things fixed but not until Sunday after everyone left as I didn't need a bunch of morons watching me who know nothing but feel compelled to offer advice. By this time everyone was staying far away from me as I was about to blow.

The place cleared out nicely do to the plumbing issue but of course I still had to spend half the day Sunday routing a snake thru all the lines, out to the septic, end even got on the roof to flush out the vent stack as I was concerned with the possible backing up forcing blockage into that. Then of course all the cleaning and sanitizing of the equipment and basement areas. Just loads of fun.  You would not have wanted to be around me on Sunday.  I said of few things to DW regarding her family and I felt no need to hold back at that point.

So again you spend time and effort prepping for the weekend, then you screw up a perfect weekend by hosting these dopes, then you spend all your time cleaning and repairing after they leave. Should add, there were a number of other things not mentioned. Never again.

How was your weekend?  Smile

SillyC

4.) How is it ok for 11 yr olds to have their own smart phone??? (I don't even have one...)

My 7 and 10 year old keep telling me that "all the kids have them".  And I point out to them that all the kids do NOT have them.  All the kids whose parents are divorced have them.

Kids whose parents are divorced often need the phones.  They get them at 5 if substance abuse is an issue for one of the parents - to call the sober parent if they are at substance abusing parent's house and SA parent is drunk or high.  They get them a bit older if the parents are both responsible.  But daycare / camp pickup / soccer practice pickup snafus get pretty common when the parents don't live together.

And, as another person said, they get the parents' castoff phones.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sat here for a few minutes debating if I should post but then figured letting it all out is good therapy so...   BTW it is a long venting that you don't need to read-it just felt good airing it out.

How was your weekend?  Smile

Rant away! You deserve it after that.  I would have possibly gone out for a very long trail run.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

NH - man what a shitty weekend (pun intended).

We go through similar problem every time DW's family come to town for a party.  In particular, one SIL never helps a bit, but is always asking why food is taking so long.  Then she'll grabs a zip-lock bags so she can take home leftovers home (that we paid for).  Last time, I hid the extra roast beef in the outside refrigerator and she went and found it.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

adkkev

1.  Glad I have a small family & they're spread out all over the place.

2.  Glad I do not own a "camp" so members of said small family can have an excuse to visit

3.  Most impressed that NH is so accomplished at things like camp plumbing!!

4.  Even more impressed that NH didn't "blow" ... I think I would have.

NorthernHarrier

NH - man what a shitty weekend (pun intended).

We go through similar problem every time DW's family come to town for a party.  In particular, one SIL never helps a bit, but is always asking why food is taking so long.  Then she'll grabs a zip-lock bags so she can take home leftovers home (that we paid for).  Last time, I hid the extra roast beef in the outside refrigerator and she went and found it.

That's classic.

Since you mentioned the refrig-- I also have a refrig in my lower level mostly loaded with my beer but a few things in the freezer part and of course it did get loaded by people with some food for the weekend.  Well someone decided that they wanted to run a fan in the lower level so they actually unplugged the refrig so they could run an extension cord from that outlet. Imagine unplugging something and not following the cord to see what it is you are unplugging! I discovered that when I went into the basement and saw a puddle in front of the refrig. Like I said there was a whole lot of stuff happening that I didn't mention.  I can't make some of this up.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hahahahaha!  Cool  I'm sorry your little family time at the cabin didn't go quite as planned, Harrier.  Or maybe it went exactly how you said it would...LOL.  Did you try giving them any of the Bud Light Lime?

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Northern:

My family is not as bad as that but I have had company come for a week in May, a week in June and another set is due next week.  The thing that burns me out is I take time vacation time to run a mini resort for their pleasure.  My June week wasn't too bad because they were yourng kids and ready to do anything out doors (figure the time they were here it rained two days)  but the other folks aren't big into outdoors.  The suns hot, that hill is too steep, I didn't bring tennis shoes only sandals, I'm afraid to float on water in a big boat, not to mention all the cooking and cleaning I have to do whiule they are there.  Not my idea of a "vacation" even though I actually like them, just wish they would come in the winter.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

#1. Most people are worth less then animals.

#2. Interesting case. Who stood their ground? A man that got out of his truck and went after a kid, or the kid that was followed. The reason I always carry my pistol on a run now is because I will not be a victim of overzealous watchmen and/or bullies.

#5. I also have to figure out how to block some people on FB. I just find it ridiculous how they post the most mundane things about their lives.

#9. "Thank you so much", is for when someone really helps you out of a bind, not just for doing their job or a simple curtosey.

Now for my personalized rant:

This weekend we were in San Antonio for DS's Air Force Basic Training graduation. Spent three mostly wonderful days with him. Last night just before returning him to the base we stopped at a Cracker Barrel Restaurant for dinner. While inside some a$$wipes broke a window and stole all of our computers along with clothing including eyeglasses etc. They just grabbed bags and ran apparently. The loss is looking to be in excess of $2000.00. They even took DD's textbooks as well as one of mine. F'in bastards. It's really screwed things up for me. I had a presentation that I have to submit in several days for my class and now I can't.   Sent an E-mail to the instructor telling her what happened, but I don't think she will be understanding.

Some days i really, really hate people.

SillyC

Daydreamer, how did it go with your instructor?  Send a scan of the police report and be honest about what kind of extensions you need.  I'm a college professor, and I get requests like this frequently.   About half the time, it's lies, and I feel like I'm trapped in that old John Lovitz routine.

But the other half of the time, the story is totally true and it looks like it and smells like it.  The student asks for a week then hands it in 2 days later, because it writes up fast the second time.

Also ask if the instructor can put a copy of the textbook in the library on reserve (this will make your story look more, um, true).  Likely, your bookstore will no longer have them and you won't be able to get a new copy.