Trailer Trash

Park use. Events Versus Recreational use. Is there a balance? (Read 51 times)

Ultra Cowboy

Seems like in our area there are more and more weekend events taking place on the trails.  We are up to 4 trail run companies, and I guess 3 mountain bike race companies in the Greater bay area.  , It seems the fundraising trail half marathon we started 4 years ago just spurred the parks on to open up more events.  It is as if we are a victim of our own success.

So how do you balance local access to parks with permit fee income?

What are your thoughts?

WYBMADIITY

Save

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we face similar issues with river use- commercial guiding vs average joe fishing; while we realize that commercial guiding serves a role (and puts $ in our coffers from special use permits)- the department has decided the average joe is what counts and we limit the river use for commercial purposes

if I was a trail runner and elected to not participate in these events/races and felt like I was getting crowded out of one my favorite running locales- I certainly wouldn't be shy about voicing my opinion

I know if I was hiking in the backcountry, I'd probably less than enamored to find out there was a ultra race this weekend and get passed by a couple of hundred runners Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Brian Runner

Locally (North East Pa / Southern NY) at least, I find that our parks and forest lands are underused by both (though I'd argue that races are mostly recreational). And were it not for the runners and mountain bikers, these trails would first be unmarked, second covered in litter, and third overgrown and lost altogether. In this part of the country with the heavy vegetation you have to use trails and maintain them or you lose them fast.

Personally, I'm kind of in a dead zone between Central Pa and The Finger Lakes. They both have well developed trail running communities, where this topic is probably more of a looming issue. But here, we could stand to have more of both. Between the state, county and local parks, as well as state forest lands, and the rural setting, we have the potential but lack of the community (and the infrastructure.)

NorthernHarrier

I know if I was hiking in the backcountry, I'd probably less than enamored to find out there was a ultra race this weekend and get passed by a couple of hundred runners Big grin

Kind of like packing up the whole family into the mini-van for your vacation in the Black Hills only to find out when you get there that it is Harley week.  Angry  (no it didn't happen to me and I don't own a mini-van Smile)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Kind of like packing up the whole family into the mini-van for your vacation in the Black Hills only to find out when you get there that it is Harley week.  Angry  (no it didn't happen to me and I don't own a mini-van Smile)

I work the rally every year (they import hired guns from all over) and I see this very scenario played out every year- it's quite a shock for the family, of course young boys don't seem to mind it near as bad Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Birdwell

wait, I'm signed up for my first 50 miler in Sturgis ,SD (late June)  Are you telling me the black hills are known for more than just running?

Ultra Cowboy

I've thought about it a lot as I was doing some events.  I admire the signs that one Race organization puts at major trail intersections the Saturday before a Sunday event. They list what the Event is, and the contact info for the race company.  I think there might be a course map on the back sometimes too.. I've been at trailheads where race officials took the time to suggest alternate routes or trailheads for recreational folks.

More often than not I'm in the event/commercial contingent of a trail use scenario.  I wanted to know what the perspective was for folks who felt like those damn runners were invading their back yard.

WYBMADIITY

Save

We're fortunate in that we don't have large commercial companies putting on races. Most of ours are put on by volunteers / nonprofits and many max out at 100. Any "charity" they're supporting might be a high school running team or scholarship, an injured park ranger (injured while clearing trails), nature center, signs for the trail system, college ski team warmup jackets, etc.

Our state parks have the policy that events cannot interfere with normal use of park. Race start or finish points have been located at less busy spots or shuttle from a nearby parking area. RD's are expected to post the entrances to the trails a week in advance. This includes map, description of event, and contact info. I tried to be sure our signs were posted by Friday a week before a Saturday race. This way someone who might be a regular Saturday morning birder or whatever and may not be there much during the week can anticipate trying some place different.

Trail users appreciated knowing about events beforehand. That way they can participate, help, or avoid - depending on their interests. Equestrians *really* liked knowing about bike races ahead of time.

The borough (equivalent of county govt but size of state of WV) doesn't really have any policies. They sign off on anything - or at least have in the past. They're entering a new era with new administrators and paying attention to trail maintenance.

After reading some of the conflict stories over the years, as an RD, I tried to minimize the impact on users and hassles for the land owners (4 properties). My goal was to be asked back by the land owners. IOW, we weren't intrusive.  All our "profits" went to sign the area (desperately needed), and we worked closely with the land managers. So it was a win-win situation - raising awareness of the area (get rid of vandals by having more good users), getting signs, and people having a fun race (it was mtn bike since the trail group I was in was mtn biking).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog