Trailer Trash

The Thursdaily (Read 34 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Managed about 5 miles and coughed most of the time.  I felt like I had the proverbial monkey on my back the whole time, but at least I got out.  after the run I feel like i can breath better so maybe I coughed up most of the crap.

QOTD 1 - Marine Corps Marathon as I was coming toward Georgetown a very loud guy was on the side of the road yelling encouragement to the runners.  He was making up nick-names for people like "Go tall dude", "Nice job blondie", "Looking good red" etc.  Then just after I passed him I heard "Go Nipple Lady".  Of course everyone near me turned to see who he was talking about and it didn't take long to spot her.

QOTD 2 - Don't set too many race goals, but didn't get to do 2 adventure runs that I was hoping to get in.  They are on the schedule again for this year.  First is a 60 mile 4 state AT run (PA, MD, WV and VA).  Second is a fast-packing weekend run with a friend (we cancelled a few months ago because he had a stress fracture).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

FTYC - you forgot to add getting sick as part of what derailed you from your miles.  You seem to be good for one or two good bouts with something each year.  With any luck, no sickness this year and you should hit 2000 miles plus some.

Oh, now that you mention it,... I just tend to forget these minor details. The typical short term memory loss of the ultra runner, I guess.

Did 7 or so miles through the mountains with my buddy, it was fun doing all these ice-glazed ups and downs. Slipping and sliding even with the spikes. But my most love-hated trail, the Midstate Trail, was great to run on, as it was covered with 6 or 8 inches of snow. This is the only time of the year when this trail is fun to run, with the snow smoothing out all those rocks and dips.

It was a fun run in the sun.

QOTD1: A fun sight was the cows along the road in my first HM. They were just standing there, watching the runners, and their heads went turning every time a runner went by, all at the same time.

In the same race, a firefighter, in full gear, including boots, coat, helmet, gadgets and all. He ran the HM just 10 minutes slower than me. And all his firefighter buddies were rooting for him in their vehicles along the fence at the airport, with lights flashing and sirens on. Quite a sight.

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

Took the gsp out for 5 miles of loop d' loops in the neighborhood today. Temps in the low to mid 20's feel balmy now after the polar vortex experience. I will hit the gym tonight to lift, stretch, swim, and look at silly people. Yes I realize I am one of them as well.

QOTD: I ran way too many miles with a guy dressed like a cow at MCM one year. Cowbell and all. I finally dropped him on that island in the middle of the Potomac. Let's see. Ran a half marathon in Ocala FL one year. Starting temps were in the 50's with high of 70. A guy toed the line wearing tights, gloves, hat, base layer, and a jacket. Seemed like a lot of gear. Also some guy in a Swiss shirt had trekking poles. Granted he was running the full marathon but it was a road race! What else.... I was shot with silly string one year while running Boston... I saw some guy running Superior100 in the Vibram Five Finger Sex toys I mean toe shoes....

QOTD2: Pretty happy with 2013. Ran and finished my 3 planned ultras including Superior 100, logged over 2200 miles, no zero weeks.

BoyJame - I know that pink tutu guy. I've done a couple of training runs with him and he bunked with us at WS a few years back. He's completed the grand slam a few times. it's a crack up listening to his stories about passing runners in his tutu.

Couch  - Snow is good to hide the rocks... I agree!!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Took a SRD today.  Marathon tapering continues.

qotd1: I was pacing LB2 at RR100 a few years ago, earlier in the day (and night) I had worked an aid station.  As a good pacer should I was distracting my runner by telling him a very funny story about something that happened earlier at the aid station.  It involved a female runner complaining very loudly about too much sand on the trail and it was even in her private parts (she used the v-word) and all the guys just kind of standing there (or like me making a very quick retreat) and informing her that we really couldn't help her out....  just a very funny scene.  She was really loud and the guys couldn't get away quick enough.  Anyway just after telling LB the story, a real live beaver with four legs, flat tail and everything crossed our path.  Sort of a visual prop to the story....  I guess LB was a bit tired after running 75 miles and I had been working at the aid station that whole time, anyway I guess we were a bit punchy so it just struck us both as being very very funny.

qotd2: Went well, got my finish at Leadville and also did ok at Cajun Coyote.

tbd.