Trailer Trash

Shoe help. (Read 56 times)

ceezy

Looking for a trail shoe that is good on moderate/easy trails but also able to handle roads when needed.

I've put a lot of miles on my Salomon XT S-Lab 5's...I liked them and they were performed well but are coming to their end.

They handled the trails fine and felt fine when I had to get on the road.

Definitely not minimal but were not clunky and I felt smooth on my forefoot in them and were comfy on longer runs.

They had some support and I am more neutral but I felt fine in them.

Pretty middle of the road 10mil drop and 10oz so something around that felt good to me but I would try something else.

I've tried the new Sense Mantra, they felt ok but they felt harder on the bottom than the SLab 5's so I was a bit worried they wouldn't do well on the roads.  I actually tried a pair of Cascadia 7s and they are comfy but they feel a bit heavy to me and I'm not sure if they can handle much roads either.  I tried a pair of Montrail Fairhavens but did not work out..  I also have the Wings4 by Salomon and they are ok as well but liked the Slab5's better.  I guess if I liked the Slab 5's so much maybe I should just stick with them then eh Tongue   I'm just looking to try something new so I would love some suggestions.  Maybe I end up back in my Salomon's.

Really appreciate any help and opinions. Thanks.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am currently considering these http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xr-mission.html Salomon XR Mission.  I have yet to try them but reviews say they are lighter than most Salomon.  I currently run in crossmax so I am eager to try these.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

What about the Newton trail shoe. I heard it is good on non-technical trails and roads ...

I never run roads though so I am not a good authority

Trail Monster

I take my Altra Superiors onto the road (minus the rock plate). I put 21 road miles on them Sunday and 6 trail miles on them yesterday no issues.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

If you are still considering the Cascadias, they do feel good on roads as well, but might be overkill for non-technical trails, and the tread wears down very quickly on roads.

Most important is that the shoes feel "natural" and "right" on your feet, and for your running style. So trying them on and going by your gut instinct is a good idea. The Saucony Kinvaras could be a good fit, but they do not offer much support.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

I'm considering these. http://www.newbalance.com/Leadville-1210/MT1210,default,pd.html? . This is a new release in January and is supposed to be designed with the ultra runner in mind. My local running store told me that they just got them in, so I'm hoping to try them next week.

ceezy

I am currently considering these http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xr-mission.html Salomon XR Mission.  I have yet to try them but reviews say they are lighter than most Salomon.  I currently run in crossmax so I am eager to try these.

I actually was looking at those myself.  I'm not one to take much stock on some of the online reviews as I want to try them for myself, but the customer reviews on runningwarehouse put me off trying them.  Read several saying they caused blisters...guess it still wouldn't hurt to look at  them.

About the NB 1210s, I already ordered a pair of them. I really like the weight and the moderate drop in them.  Look really interesting and hopefully are a bit cushioned and can soak up some road miles. Anxious to try these. Not sure if they are going to be a good daily trainer or more just for the LSD runs. 

Thanks for all the posts and info on here, please feel free to suggest anything else or any other opinions.

Daydreamer1

About the NB 1210s, I already ordered a pair of them. I really like the weight and the moderate drop in them.  Look really interesting and hopefully are a bit cushioned and can soak up some road miles. Anxious to try these. Not sure if they are going to be a good daily trainer or more just for the LSD runs. 

Let us know how you like these when you get them. I won't be able to make it into the running store until next Thrusday or Friday to try these out.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I actually was looking at those myself.  I'm not one to take much stock on some of the online reviews as I want to try them for myself, but the customer reviews on runningwarehouse put me off trying them.  Read several saying they caused blisters...guess it still wouldn't hurt to look at  them.

I saw that too.  It is concerning but I wonder how much different than the Crossmax (or other Salomon) they could be? I have no issues with the Crossmax.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

ceezy

True.  And I don't know about you, but most anything I have tried by Salomon has been top notch.

Find it hard to believe they would put out a "lemon" but I guess all companies can.

Let me know if you ever try them.