Trailer Trash

Thursdailies (Read 25 times)

Marley and I had an easy 4 mile trail run.  The woods have died dried out very fast with the strong winds we have been experiencing so there was almost no mud.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

Can't add anything exciting. Just finished a good effort on the roads around the hood.  We are again in a great weather pattern here. Too good to be true. Just wish we had a little more daylight.

runtraildc

Morning!  Just finished a piece of breakfast blueberry pie.  Oh, and got in 4 miles with a friend this morning and I'll head to yoga during lunch.  I need to double up today since I ended up doing nothing yesterday.   Except make a birthday pie.  LB2 didn't come to get it, so we celebrated DS's birthday instead.

qotd:  I have nothing, folks.  Have a great day out there.

Daydreamer1

Planning on somewhere between 4-7 miles today.  Just depends on how the ankle and Achilles feels.

QOTD:  What do you consider "processed food"?  Do you try to avoid it?

Lately I've been reading a good bit about how other athletes and health conscious people eat. There is a lot of talk about not eating processed  foods. However, I find that often this is not very well defined and what one person considers processed another does not. I break foods down into several categories.  Totally unprocessed: This would be things that are raw. Minimally processed: Things that are cooked, because even heating a food item can change it.  Moderately processed: This would be foods that are preserved through processes such as canning, freezing etc. Finally is the highly processed "foods" that have more chemicals in them then actual food.

I try to avoid the highly processed foods as much as possible. I also try to avoid or limit some of the moderately processed foods, such as sauerkraut, due to higher sodium content.

LB2

Dang. Sorry I missed that pie, dc. I'll do 5 or 6 tonight.

QOTD: I am not sure exactly what is meant by "processed foods". I really think that companies want to be confusing and misleading with plausible deniability: "We stated that it was 'partially hydrogenated yellow dye #6'..." I am in the process of making some dietary changes. I'll probably kill a deer or two, maybe a wild pig... I'll get hot on that right after Pinhoti. I haven't shot a deer in a few years. I just can't sit on a deer stand for hours on end when I could be running, sleeping, or doing something that involves moving.

QOTD2: Any niggles, wiggles, or jiggles you are dealing with right now?

Hips are a little tight and the top of my right foot hurts a little. I think the foot thing is sort of a "ghost pain" associated with the taper (or stress fracture?). I have been working on stretching those hips for a few days now, and that is getting better.

LB2

Occasional Runner

I had a great run with the pup this morning. The weather is still pretty incredible here but I know it's going to turn for the worse at some point, soon. Not looking forward to snow...

QOTD: Almost everything is processed, including beef, chicken and fish. Rather than totally avoiding processed food, I try to avoid food that is manufactured from "food-like" substances and I do what I can to avoid anything that includes processed corn, which is almost everything.

QOTD 2: Nothing. Been feeling pretty great.

runtraildc

qotd:  For my purposes, I consider food to be processed if it doesn't easily resemble it's original ingredients or I was not involved with the prep of ingredients.  I.e. veggie stir fry or my homemade applesauce- not processed,  Pasta, ground meat or grocery store applesauce- processed.  I try to avoid highly processed foods such as DD describes them, but that said, I have a son who would live on Cheerios if allowed.  But on the scale of highly processed foods, I think Cheerios are much better than say, Doritos.  I  avoid high fructose corn syrup, which is not easy.

qotd2:  No, not since I figured out the hip pain-tight quadricep niggle (knock on wood).

LB2

qotd2:  No, not since I figured out the hip pain-tight quadricep niggle (knock on wood).

What did you figure out about it? Mine is working out quite well right now, but I am always looking for a new angle/stretch.

LB2

Going out for an hour after work tonight. Hoping to go to Ridley Creek or maybe White Clay Creek tomorrow to explore some different trails. BUT I'm going to SSA first thing in the morning to start my name change process. That should be fun....

QOTD: I haven't been too strict with a diet lately so I'm not going to answer this one.

QOTD 2: I always have tight hips because I don't stretch or strength train enough. Other than that, feeling good.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Did not get up...brought stuff to work but looks like schedule will not allow a lunch run...maybe after work but if not..URD.

QOTD:  I just read how good sauerkraut is for your digestive system.  Funny how some foods are labeled bad by one group and then and good by another.  I just try to eat healthy and if it's high carbs not eat so much unless it's a fruit because how can fruit really be bad for you.  Kinda what Kelly said, "Avoid foods that aren't made with "food like" substance.

QOTD2:  Feels like a bit a tendinitis is returning to my ankle so I bought a new pair of running shoes.

TT:  Sorry to hear that your woods have died out..how depressing

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

What did you figure out about it? Mine is working out quite well right now, but I am always looking for a new angle/stretch.

After every run, and for up to 2 or 3 days afterwards, my left hip flexor was very sore.  Rolling helped a little, so did hip stretches.  I finally figured out it was really that quadricep that was too tight.  Once I started doing regular quad stretches, it has felt fantastic.   The best (and most painful/difficult) stretch was the kneeling lunge, in which my right leg is forward at a right angle.  The left leg is back, knee on the ground, and I reach around with my left arm and pull the left ankle toward my rear.  Try to keep your balance with your right hand (and not cry).

LB2

After every run, and for up to 2 or 3 days afterwards, my left hip flexor was very sore.  Rolling helped a little, so did hip stretches.  I finally figured out it was really that quadricep that was too tight.  Once I started doing regular quad stretches, it has felt fantastic.   The best (and most painful/difficult) stretch was the kneeling lunge, in which my right leg is forward at a right angle.  The left leg is back, knee on the ground, and I reach around with my left arm and pull the left ankle toward my rear.  Try to keep your balance with your right hand (and not cry).

Ok. Thanks. That is not the source of my problem. The Piriformis stretches seem to be working well. It was really my back that started hurting about 30 miles into a 50 mile run, which ended up with the last 10 miles or so being an awful lot of walking. I ran the first 30 to 35 pretty much non stop, though. So, I had plenty of time built up and felt fine otherwise. Anyway, I think when all that stuff got tight it was pressing on my sciatic nerve, which caused the lower back pain. After stretching, it is fine.

LB2

TT:  Sorry to hear that your woods have died out..how depressing

Smile

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

I must have had the same wind as TT today.  Did a mix of logging roads and trails for 12 miles total.  At times I was hot, and then the wind hit me and I was freezing.  It always takes me  a while to figure out how to dress for the changing weather.

QOTD - 1: I only stay away from foods with high added sugar content.  DD#2 has been diabetic since she was 2, so we never had much sugary food in the house.  We eat plenty of carbs, just try to have complex ones and less sugar.  It always helped her keep BS levels in better balance when she wasn't bouncing off the wall from Super Sugar Smacks.

QOTD -2: I was going to say none, but I had a pretty good superman fall today (damn leaf covered rocks) and right shoulder is sore.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

QOTD #1:  I really try to follow what one old man said once. If it doesn't spoil after several days don't eat it.

QOTD #2:  Just got back in from a easy 4.5 mile run. First run in four days because of the ankle. The Achilles was OK, the joint was tender for some reason.  When I got back a tendon on the front of the foot was sore. Possibly due to a overtightened brace??