Ultra Cowboy

I'll give first hand intel on Big Sandy this July....Big grin

WYBMADIITY

Save

mecrowe

Computer Geek

TnC......western PA is pretty nice!  Big grin

Irish Luck

We adored Utah and were out there for an actual race (Xterra 2011).

I've been to Portland, OR and want to return ASAP because I was not much of a trail runner back then.  Of course, I was a beer drinker back then...and they brews were divine.   I do have an "in" in Portland, as I have family that lives in the city and they also have a cabin on Mt. Hood. The plan is for the mister and me to return ASAP for a runcation. .

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Utah is certainly nice, but the desert stuff needs to be run in the spring or fall, not the summer.  Colorado is, of course, awesome.  You can spend the whole summer running (literally) around the state.  If you come here (Durango) I will happily take you running and we can go out for tasty adult beverages after.

Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia national parks border each other..  These and the surrounding areas are pretty amazing.  I have been on bike trips rather than running trips when I visited these places but did some hiking and think the trail running would be good.

Utah might be nice but pretty hot in the Summer.  I was there in late October and it was nice.  I was mountain biking and hiking, but I am sure the running would be good too.

The Colorado portion of the Rockies is beautiful as well.  Maybe fly into Denver and drive to places like Leadville, Crested Butte, Buena Vista, and Rocky Mountain National Park.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

Not trying too hard to be a troll nor picking on you TrailTromper but can someone please explain to me the fascination with Leadville. I have been thru there maybe 8-10 times and I find it one butt ugly town. Yes it has a couple 14er's adjacent to it but so does most of Colorado. The surrounding forest is not all that pretty and it also offers up a fine example of why you don't want any modern mining in your neighborhood.  So many beautiful mountain towns in that state but Leadville sure ain't one of them. Yes I know they put on the running and mtn. biking events but if you are not doing those ,why go there when there are so many nicer places.

Go to Ouray, just a bit up the road from ilanarama. I think that's my favorite town in Co.(maybe Lake City in a tie)  And the Hardrock 100 goes right thru town. Beautiful area.

And since you did ask about races look up the Imogene Pass event between Telluride and Ouray and then do the Bear Creek trail out of Ouray for a nice scenic run. Nice brew pub in town too!

Not trying too hard to be a troll nor picking on you TrailTromper but can someone please explain to me the fascination with Leadville. I have been thru there maybe 8-10 times and I find it one butt ugly town. Yes it has a couple 14er's adjacent to it but so does most of Colorado. The surrounding forest is not all that pretty and it also offers up a fine example of why you don't want any modern mining in your neighborhood.  So many beautiful mountain towns in that state but Leadville sure ain't one of them. Yes I know they put on the running and mtn. biking events but if you are not doing those ,why go there when there are so many nicer places.

I will say that I wasn't especially trying to promote particular towns, but more a general approach to the area.  The idea was to drive around and hit a bunch of different towns in that part of the state more than to recommend any particular towns.  My inclusion is solely based on the idea that it was a likely stop on a car or bicycle loop around the area due to it's proximity to the State and lower 48 high point.

That said the fact that Leadville is reportedly "the highest incorporated city and the second highest incorporated municipality in the United States", is the home of some famous races both MTB and running, reportedly has some interesting history, some Victorian architecture, and has some interesting things nearby including the previously mentioned lower 48 high point and some interesting MTB and running routes lends it some attraction..

That and I don't find it particularly ugly.  My impression of it is based on one drive through the area though.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

TrailTromper-- I didn't mean it to appear I was calling you out on it. Since I've participated on this forum and the other one for 2-3 years Leadville gets a lot of mention and usually it's made out to be some exotic far away special place that every one who loves recreating in the wild country has to go there. I just don't get it. All the old mining towns out there have history, cool buildings and such. So they aren't quite as high as Leadville many of them offer a lot more. Mt Elbert may be the highest peak right there but there are a bunch of 14er's that are much more majestic--Snefflels, Snowmass, Uncompaghre. etc.

Again I have been tempted a number of times to ask why Leadville?.. so I finally did. I do try to look at this as a tourist or vacationer with limited time to explore, stay or camp in cool places, etc. It's probably just me but I just don't get it.  Sorry to draw you into my "issue".

TrailTromper-- I didn't mean it to appear I was calling you out on it. Since I've participated on this forum and the other one for 2-3 years Leadville gets a lot of mention and usually it's made out to be some exotic far away special place that every one who loves recreating in the wild country has to go there. I just don't get it. All the old mining towns out there have history, cool buildings and such. So they aren't quite as high as Leadville many of them offer a lot more. Mt Elbert may be the highest peak right there but there are a bunch of 14er's that are much more majestic--Snefflels, Snowmass, Uncompaghre. etc.

Again I have been tempted a number of times to ask why Leadville?.. so I finally did. I do try to look at this as a tourist or vacationer with limited time to explore, stay or camp in cool places, etc. It's probably just me but I just don't get it.  Sorry to draw you into my "issue".

No problem, I get that all that, and was not offended.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Well this has definitely got me started planning. I really want to go out to Colorado to snowboard next winter, so I might postpone a "running" trip there. We've also been considering a move there for quite some time....

Northern CA and Oregon are my top 2 contenders right now. Could potentially roll it into one trip if I'm savvy.

Ultra Cowboy

Happy to help with any logistics...

WYBMADIITY

Save

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Go to Ouray, just a bit up the road from ilanarama. I think that's my favorite town in Co.(maybe Lake City in a tie)  And the Hardrock 100 goes right thru town. Beautiful area.

And since you did ask about races look up the Imogene Pass event between Telluride and Ouray and then do the Bear Creek trail out of Ouray for a nice scenic run. Nice brew pub in town too!

I have to agree with NH - Ouray is the prettiest town in Colorado and the second prettiest in the US (behind Seward, AK) in my opinion!

The Imogene Pass Run the weekend after Labor Day is one of my very favorite races.  17.1 miles from Ouray to Telluride over a 13,120 ft pass.  Registration is June 1st and this year I have heard they are not allowing transfers.