Trailer Trash

A Noob Convert; Shoe Question (Read 50 times)

LB2

Am I the only one who thinks Hokas run on the narrow side?

No. You are not. Every pair I have put on my feet rub my big toe so bad that I can't even wear them. I really like the cushy ride, but I can't deal with the toe rubbing. Maybe I should go a size larger, but I think I will stick with Altra's. The ride is different, but my feet were fine after 100 miles of gnarly trail with the Altra's. And I dumped my pacer who was wearing Hoka's because he twisted his ankle so badly that he could not continue. However, I am not saying that Hoka's are ankle twisters if you spend enough time on the trails with them.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Am I the only one who thinks Hokas run on the narrow side?

My fat feet couldn't wear them. They don't rub by my toes, but instead kind of on the bottom part of my arch.  I can't get into the Hoka love when none of their models fit my feet.  (Tried 3 different pairs, gave up.)

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

The biggest problem with Hokas seem to be inconsistency in fit. The first ones seemed to be a 1/2 size larger then the stated size. In other words a 10 fit me more like a 10 1/2.  I don't have any of the newer ones yet so I'm hopeing they correct the problem and sizing becomes more consistent.  DW currently has a pair that's wide enough that it works real nice for her bunion.  Can't remember which model those are.  She's scheduled for surgery on that in January it's getting so bad.

Occasional Runner

The best use for a HOKA.

hog4life

The best use for a HOis thaA.

Wait! What kind of beer Is that?

Occasional Runner

Amstel? I think it belonged to LB2.

NorthernHarrier

moonlight, I'm from SE MI originally(Detroit, dad still lives there), but have been in Arkansas and Alabama most all my life. I'm currently near Huntsville Alabama, and run the trails in Monte Sano State Park. The terrain is wooded and rocky, and has some pretty significant, at least for around here, elevation changes. Lots of low spots for standing and running water, plateaus are rather muddy because the trails are very well used. As far as not going back to the road, that's unlikely. The trails are almost 45-60 minutes drive depending on traffic. I run 4-5 times per week, so for now, the trail running will be limited to one day per weekend.

Hog4life,  I have run those trails at Monte Sano. Awesome stuff. I ran the Mountain Mist 50k a few years back. Classic 50k, one to be done for sure when you get some more time on the trails in. Mt. Cheaha is another one to do in the area and maybe Black Warrior too.

And since you are a hog4life I guess Mandy and I won't say anything negative of Brett Bielema.   LOL!

hog4life

HAHA! My goal for 2015 is the Huntsville grand slam which includes Mountain Mist. I've visited and stayed a few nights at My Cheha.The black warrior has been on the radar too, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Don't be a pussy

DP

You people have issues 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Welcome!

I've been running on trails pretty much all my life, both in road and trail shoes, and still managed to faceplant myself full length in the mud last spring (wearing road shoes). So you're in good company here!

I wear Brooks Cascadias, but if you need more stability from your shoes, they might not be right for your feet. And their toe box is not really wide. My road shoes are Brooks Ghost 4's, and I feel they are wide in the toe box, whereas the Cascadias feel a bit narrower. You might experiment with different socks, too.

Edit: Trail shoes also have "stability" models, and "neutral" ones, just like road shoes. And the zero drop might or might not work for you. If you are hesitant, and have road shoes that work for you, stick with your current concept. "Stability" is less important on the trails, as you'll run on uneven ground, making your feet, ankles and knees bend in different directions at each step anyway.

However, the lower the distance of the foot from the ground (=the thinner the sole in total is at the heel, regardless of the drop), the lower the forces on your ankles when you run on uneven ground (rocks, grass, roots,...), resulting in less likelihood of twisting and rolling your ankles. At the same time, the thinner the sole, the "harder" the impact, and if the shoe does not have rock protection (which makes the impact harder, too), and you run a lot on rocky trails, your feet might get beaten up on longer distances. A hard impact might also affect your knees and other joints, but that also depends on your stride and biomechanics.

For mud, usually shoes with a very rugged, "studded" sole work best, but there are still some types of slick mud, where no shoe really works well. Best defense is to keep your arms strong, so that you can prevent injuring your head in a fall. 

Run for fun.