Trailer Trash

Things that don't go bump in the night [VRC] (Read 28 times)

Uh oh... now what?

Bonnie Raitt and Graveyard Jazz now--no camera this afternoon, serious running day. We even wore our genuine running watches. We don't have any GPS thingies, but it's easy to tell when we are about to leave the island. That was when things went bad. We were on the bluff trail in dense fog. The "chuffing" started.

---insert weird noise---
    Did you hear that?
    You mean that "chuffing" sound.
    Yes. What was it?
    I do not know.
    ...chufff...... chhufffff...
    There it is again.
    What is that?
    I still don't know.
    ---insert a few minutes of running---

The trail drops down below the fog, almost level with the strait and...

"Wow! Great big swimmy things that go 'chuff' when they exhale after being down for a while."

The more practical explanation:

Stellar sea lions--about a dozen of them, diving, swimming, rolling around in the water, pretending to be scary things with dorsal fins by swimming on their sides. Stellar sea lions can be 12 feet (4 meters) long, beautiful light brown colors; wet coats glinting in the afternoon sun.

And the run went to heck. We sat down on the edge of the trail and watched these graceful sea creatures. Being human we counted them. Being animals they would not hold still so we could be sure if there were 12, 13, or 14 or maybe only 9 of them.

We sat still so they could count us. We sat there for quite a while until we were sure they had counted us. We wondered how they knew we did not have a camera.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A stellar post! It has the seal of approval.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jonferg67

Endless trails

You paint a good picture, John. I loved seeing seals, sea lions and especially dolphins

when I was in the Coast Guard. They always seemed like they were just enjoying

themselves, such playful creatures. I could swear I've seen them smiling back at us.

Ultra Cowboy

Ah the night time "Chuff"  Those Sea lions have a skull teeth and jaw that could easily be mistaken for a terrestrial toothy critter.

That reminds me I need to go see the elephant seals this spring...

Here are the Sea Lions north of my house about 30 miles at the mouth of the Russian River.

WYBMADIITY

Save

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

We sat still so they could count us. We sat there for quite a while until we were sure they had counted us.

I love that, John.  Thanks for posting this.

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

We sat still so they could count us. We sat there for quite a while until we were sure they had counted us.

I love that, John.  Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome... and thank you for lots of things along the way.