Trailer Trash

Shivery Sundaily (Read 217 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning folks!  -2 here this morning, high yesterday was 9, todays high........ 11  Woohoo! Smile  my long run this weekend has become a pipe dream (although I did get 9 miles of x-country skiing in yesterday along w/ 6 miles on the treadmill); I'll hit the gym again today for 6 miles on the stairmaster

qotd- building on yesterdays theme, do you (did you) get flu shots?  I get one every year (it started w/ a no choice shot every year in the military)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

sugnim

Morning all.  It's pretty shivery here too.  It's 6 outside, and the high for the day will be 17.  Our home windows have had ice on the glass panes for the past few days.

I'm thinking 12 this morning.

QOTD:  I do get flu shots.  They seem to work well for me, and I believe immunizations are good science.

A nice drizzly foggy 5 for the pooch and me.

QOTD:  I have been getting the flu shot, but mostly because it was free at work.  Now that I am retired I am not sure if I will bother.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

Up and at 'em in Montana I see. Well I'm moving slow, the after effects of watching the Packers get destroyed last night. Now I know how Notre Dame fans felt. Wow!

Dusting of snow and much cooler today. Working on my coffee and then will be heading to Rockford shortly for about 15 trail miles.

QOTD- Used to get them a number of years back then stopped. Went out and got one on Friday morning because the media has made it sound particularly bad this year so what the heck. Actually the shot made me feel like crap for the next 24 hours but now I'm good again.

Of course there is another strain out there that they didn't plan for so.....

Birdwell

Morning folks! SRD for me, and it's a good thing too. It's -10 F with a -25 wind chill here this morning.

QOTD: i don't get one. my wife and kids all get them. I have an unhealthy fear of needles, due to some traumatic childhood event.

Just thinking about getting shots makes me cry a little. Thanks for bringing it up.

Morning all!  Weegee and I both had great races last night at the Bridle Trails 50K.  I swore I would never run the event since it's notorious for its mud and horse poop, but we had absolutely perfect conditions.  The trail is very runnable, with just a couple of small hills (made for nice walk breaks).  It starts just after 3 p.m., so we were running much of it in the dark -- perfect training for Rocky Raccoon.  Weegee had run a beer 50K on that course in August, so I was hoping to beat that time, 6:04 (he had to drink a pint of IPA in the beginning and after each lap -- 7 pints total!)  Nailed it -- 5:56:30!

I'm a tad sore today, but since this is my last monster weekend before Rocky I'll get out for some sort of run.  Had planned on 8-10, but we'll see.

qotd: I've been getting flu shots for the past couple of years.  I'm not in the high risk category, nor am I around a lot of people at my work, but I figure the more people who are vaccinated the better.  Besides, I figure I'll be my most susceptible to catchy a bug right after Rocky.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Waiting for the rest of the family to get ready, then we'll head out into the fresh air. I am planning on running the new section of the Tussey Mountainback 50-mile course. They have eliminated the short stretch along the US-322 highway, and the out-and-back as well, replacing it with a 12-mile section around Big Kettle Mountain. This brings on a 3.5-mile uphill with 1300 ft elevation gain - woohoo! The rest is gentle downhill, though, and all in all, I think the course is easier than the old version, especially because the uphills of the out-and-back at the very end of the run have been removed. Still a very nice course, though!

There are also some very nice, challenging trails around Kettle Mountain, gaining a lot of elevation within a short distance. Might try them soon.

warden: Now that sounds cold! Almost beats the Sibirian Half Marathon!

sugnim: Until I came to the US, I could remember ice on the window panes only from my childhood. The insulation technology in European homes has improved so much that this does not happen any more there, regardless of the temperatures. However, when it happened a few years ago, I quite liked it. Had something sentimental to it.

TT: Get the flu shot. The flu won't get milder on you just because you get older. And pneumonia is no fun - talking from recent experience here!

Harrier: Bad, bad, that extra consolation that one needs after having his favorite team destroyed. Especially the next morning...

Have a fun run, recover well!

Birdwell: Sounds good for a rest day - enjoy!

EDRW: Congratulations on the race, and the great time! Hope to read a RR soon...

QOTD: I get a flu shot, and I make sure everyone in my family gets it. I've had the flu when I was young (just had moved out from my parents, where I had gotten the shot every year, and forgotten about it), and I had pneumonia and a bad ear infection from it. My right ear has never recovered fully since, and each time I have a cold, this ear acts up again.

This year's flu shot is only 62% successful, because of the new H3N2 strain that's out there. Still worth it, though!

Weegee: Immunizations are the perfect example of the principle on which homeopathic medicine is based: "What caused the illness must help against it when applied in low, diluted doses" - just sayin'... Wink

Run for fun.

Weegee

Weegee: Immunizations are the perfect example of the principle on which homeopathic medicine is based: "What caused the illness must help against it when applied in low, diluted doses" - just sayin'... Wink

Nobody likes a smartass.  No,  wait.  That's not true at all.  I love smartasses!  Wink  As long as the dilution is lower than 12C then the comparison totally works.  Kinda.  Sorta.  Oh, and sorry for calling you MM; I typed that while EDRW was administering my electroshock therapy.

Woke up feeling like I'd run 50K on frozen horse poop last night, which I did.  My feet are grumbling about being used to break in a new pair of Cascadias and my recent training regimen of sitting in a chair for five days in a row and then running 50-ish miles on the weekends.  The results of this experiment seem fairly conclusive even without a control group.

I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't get a flu shot, so I get 'em.  Or rather I intend to get 'em and then forget and put it off until the last minute and have to trip and outrun little old ladies in the drug store to get the last vial.  Survival of the fittest, you know.

Occasional Runner

The ultra wagon is loaded up and getting ready to head north. We had a great weekend of trail running in southern Utah this weekend and it's time to get home.

QOTD: I don't get sick. Ever. So no need for any such nonsense.

Sandy-2

26.2 miles this morning.  Rain and drizzle for the first 10 miles or so, temps about 45 deg, and very windy.  Ran in a singlet and gloves.  Ended up doing 3:51:13  meh...  I had told my buds that I'd do between 3:45 and 4:00, so I guess it's about right.  Thing is my last long run was in early November (ok it was 100 miles...), but since then I've only been able to do a steady diet of 5 and 6 milers and only two 10 milers and two 15 milers.  Was going by memory and a little "race day magic" I guess.  I kind of faded at the end, but oh well...   It was my 10th Houston marathon.

It was a good long run to get me ready to pace a friend at RR100 though.

qotd:  never had a flu shot before.

tbd.

I thought it might be fun to do a long run on a trail that is 100% runnable. So, 2 laps around a 9.5 mile loop with a nice 3+mile climb then descent in the middle. Hitting the gym yesterday was probably not the best preparation. My quads were sore, making for SLOW going on the downhill sections. And while it may have been runnable on the first lap, by the second I was doing some walking up the steeper sections, or when I just felt tired of running. But I doubt I walked more than 1-2 miles so lots more running than usual.

qotd: As far as I know, I have never had the flu. Some years I get the shot some years I dont.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

jonferg67

Endless trails

Nice miles today, folks.

I'm coming back from a calf strain, managed to run about 25 mins. today without

any issue-didn't want to push it. Also, signed up for an April 50K so I need

to heal so I can get in a few 20+ runs.

QOTD: We didn't immunize our kids, and no flu shot for me-I don't get sick either.

Don't get me started on the whole drug company conspiracy of trying to keep

Americans sick, the sicker we are the richer they become.

Scrapster

URD, thanks to a work emergency sending me into a total funk.  Ugh.

QOTD:  I've never had a flu shot.

Trail Monster

10.6 today.

QOTD - no shots. I try to avoid most medicine.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

KreegSauceRuns

Howdy folks.  Did 13.2 yesterday.  Leg is healing quite well.  Decided not to run today though.  35 min. on the bike trainer this morning and then 13.1 miles on the bike this afternoon.  Some nice temps for us here today in NC.  Quite different that some places where it's frigid!

QOTD:  I got a flu shot this year.  I usually don't but my wife made me since we have a baby now.

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC