Trailer Trash

Leadville 100 RR...And a TON of Pics (Read 60 times)

Occasional Runner

Great report and congrats on meeting your time goals. You should venture back east next August for the Eastern States 100. They've created another monster in Central Pa.

They'll need to change the date of the race. I'm aiming for 10 consecutive Leadville finishes, so I'm tied up for 6 more years.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Kelly. I'm very happy for you since I know this was a big goal of yours for a few years.

See you wore the Salomon vest and not the Osprey.  Don't know how you can run without using the straps.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Great report and congrats on getting the big buckle. I'm not sure that a 100 is ever in my future, but I would like to get out to Leadville to at least do one of the shorter races.

Occasional Runner

See you wore the Salomon vest and not the Osprey.  Don't know how you can run without using the straps.

I took the Salomon packs because I have two that are identical and I wanted consistency in how they were loaded and swapped out during the race. My Osprey packs are different, so I left them at home. Osprey has a box headed to my house and I don't know what's in it. Maybe wearing the Salomon gear paid off?

Not using the straps is great. I can do it with my Osprey, too. I usually don't because I like to hook my tube across my chest strap. They probably ride on me the same way for a reason.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Congrats...I was watching your progress and to be perfectly honest, I didn't think you had a shot at sub 25...happy to see you prove me wrong!  Great race, great write-up, 3rd place beer mile...what more can I say?

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

Congrats...I was watching your progress and to be perfectly honest, I didn't think you had a shot at sub 25...happy to see you prove me wrong!  Great race, great write-up, 3rd place beer mile...what more can I say?

No faith! To be honest, I didn't know if I could make it either. My plan to stay super slow over the pass could have backfired on me, but it didn't. I ended up moving really well late in the race and passed a ton of people on the way back to Leadville. Thanks for checking it out.

Watoni

Question for you, Lace.

Do you track stopped time? I know mine on rides various tremendously depending on fitness and how serious I am about a fast time. For example, some double centuries I have total stopped time of 30 minutes or less, sometimes 60-90 minutes.

I tried to track it at Leadville last year, but with the one minute sampling and other issues with the Garmin Fenix I think it was in vain. If true, I only moved 23 hours out of 27 .... unlikely. I estimated about 15 minutes average per aid station, so 2.5 hours seems about right. By the time you get your drop bag, refill your pack, eat something, put back the drop bag, 10 minutes is about a minimum for me, especially when it gets late and I get tired.

Occasional Runner

Question for you, Lace.

Do you track stopped time? I know mine on rides various tremendously depending on fitness and how serious I am about a fast time. For example, some double centuries I have total stopped time of 30 minutes or less, sometimes 60-90 minutes.

I don't even wear a GPS watch, so I wouldn't really have the resources for that. I have a lot of opinions on the real value of run data. It's just not a focus for me in training or racing.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I always enjoy reading your reports and this was no exception. In an odd way it's comforting to know that you faster runners face the same struggles we do. I think that's part of what makes the ultra community what it is.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Occasional Runner

I always enjoy reading your reports and this was no exception. In an odd way it's comforting to know that you faster runners face the same struggles we do. I think that's part of what makes the ultra community what it is.

I sincerely appreciate that you take the time to read my race reports. It really does mean a lot to me that people bother with it.

Regardless of pace per mile, we all go through the same experiences, good and bad. In fact, when done properly, we should all be suffering immensely. And thats definitely one of things that bind us all together.

XtremeTaper

Congrats lace on getting the big buckle. Seems you tend to nail the loop courses pretty well but this one has been tough for you. There is something to be said about feeling comfortable with the event and knowing what's ahead. It helps with the strategy and the mental game when you are looking for a certain time. Sort of how I feel about Laurel. No big buckle there but I still have hope that maybe I can finish before the headlamp is needed. Only 3 more miles is needed. Anyway, congrats again.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

XT- I think I do well on loop courses because they give me a chance to become familiar with the trail, making each loop easier as I go. I think I've struggled with Leadville because I was just thinking about it all wrong. I was convinced that getting to the turnaround as fast as possible would give me the best chance to finish fast. Because the double crossing of Hope Pass sits in the middle of the course, I think I was just pushing way too hard and then getting wrecked on Hope, ruining the rest of my race. That was my theory anyway. I still think I can run this race much faster, but for now, I'm not going to think about it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations on the Big Buckle! Awesome race, great report!

It is very interesting for me to hear how your refined strategy worked. I'm also a runner who rather goes with the flow and wings it, as things come along. Fast when I can, and deal with the rest when it occurs (but of course by no means as fast as you).

So I am glad to hear it worked better for you to hold back at the beginning. I might try this in one of my longer races, too.

+1 on the importance of the right pacer! They can make all the difference.

Run for fun.