Trailer Trash

Tunnel Hill RR (Read 35 times)

charlesmoman

The Tunnel Hill 50/100 in Vienna, Illinois was held last weekend.

It was my first fixed distance event since my pretty serious accident 8 months ago.

I have done some 24-hour events to ease back into some longer mileage - I only fast walked those events.

Recently I found that I could do some light running without pain, so I planned on running - at least some - at Tunnel Hill.

Short version: I ran the first 13 miles or so using a 3/1 run/walk ratio and it felt great.

At that turnaround, I decided I needed to do some extra walking and I told my running friends to go without me.

I honestly had done very little running before this weekend, but I decided to see what I had.

I ended up dropping at 36 miles due to some pretty bad back pain - I did not want to set myself back by continuing on.

I REALLY wanted that 50-mile medal, but chose to be wise.

So . . . it was a good outing for me and now I have to decide what I will do at the 2015 Indiana Trail 100.

I know that the 50-miler will not be a problem for me - and I think  - with my training plan - I can be ready for the 100, but we will see.

Here is my much-too-long YouTube video report:

Moman Tunnel Hill RR

This shows the surface and typical conditions on the Illinois Tunnel Hill State Trail.

Flat and smooth finely crushed limestone.

The start area at the Vienna Park - lots of parking and you can camp there too.

WIth my running friend, Sherri - she ran with me for part of my almost "final" run last March! : )

Typical scenery at the race - you run through a few small villages.

I led the National Anthem.

Just a beautiful place to run. I think there is a total of 52 miles that you could run or bike on at Tunnel Hill.'

The race only used part of it.

LB2

I think you are handling your comeback perfectly. Most people, seriously, never move 36 miles on their feet in one event or in one episode. Of course, I know that is of little consolation to anyone in a 50 mile race or a 100 mile race, but considering your circumstances, I think this was really a perfect outing and should be a great step toward your 2015 plans. Looks like winter has set in up there.

LB2

runtraildc

Congratulations, Charles!  Considering where you were 8 months ago, 36 miles is phenomenal.  Nice end to the year and good luck for the 2015 goals.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's some beautiful country to run through. It might surprise a lot of people who think IL is nothing but cornfields outside Chicago and its suburbs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

charlesmoman

It's funny - people think the same about Indiana. And then they go to Brown County Park, or Morgan-Monroe or farther south and they find some KILLER hills. Not mountains, but they can kill. Now Tunnel Hill Trail was flat because it was a rail line cut through hills and rock. if you want a fast time in a 50 or 100 - Tunnel Hill is the place.

Well done race.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Charles.  Maybe you should write an "Auto Accident to 50K" program.  Glad your recovery is continuing.  Hope the back heals up.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

charlesmoman

Hilarious! 

Daydreamer1

Congratulations. The pictures look nice, but cold.

moonlightrunner

Congratulations, Charles! What an amazing accomplishment. You are amazing.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Nice job, Charles!

I grew up in Evansville and did a LOT of rock climbing, hiking, mt biking, etc in the hills of southern Illinois and Indiana.  There is some really beautiful country tucked away in both places.