Trailer Trash

Water bottles (Read 53 times)

Related to the Ultra Vest thread. I've heard a lot of opinions on water bottles and want to know what your favorite ones are. Don't care about holders or whatever since I have a Nathan handheld that works fine for the purpose it serves (shorter runs.) I'm talking about the bottles that go into vest pockets. Size, pros, cons, etc.

Occasional Runner

I swear I'm not pimping this because Hammer Nutrition sells them. These are actually the best bottles that I've ever used. The Purist bottles are lined so they never stink like a lot of other plastic bottles do and I really like how the valve works. It's just a simple open/close valve, but it's soft so I can pull it open with my teeth and it's not uncomfortable. You can leave the valve open while running and it won't leak like the Nathan bottles do. The bottle tapers toward the bottom, so it's easy to get them into a vest pocket while you're moving. They sell for $8.95 but I don't know how that compares to other quality bottles.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/purist-bottles.hwp.html?navcat=accessories&subnavcat=bottles

Ultra Cowboy

Camelbak Podium Chill with Jet Valve.  I own 3. I use it as a Handheld, but you can get the bottle solo..

WYBMADIITY

Save

AT-runner

Tim

Zombie Runner bottle at $4.95, can't be beat.  I don't need much more than this.

I took out the UD bottles that came with my SJ vest and replaced them with these.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

MY UD vest pack came w/ two UD 20oz kicker valve bottles- these bottles don't leak, but they are pain to drink from- you have to bite the rubber valve or water won't come out- starting to get used to it, but I don't really like the setup- I wouldn't recommend these

I have three or four 20oz Nathan bottles and haven't had any problem w/ leaking, so I'll probably just replace the UD ones w/ these

two 20 oz bottles works well for me- I don't think I'd want them much bigger (weight), nor much smaller- short on fluids

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

MY UD vest pack came w/ two UD 20oz kicker valve bottles- these bottles don't leak, but they are pain to drink from- you have to bite the rubber valve or water won't come out- starting to get used to it, but I don't really like the setup- I wouldn't recommend these

I have three or four 20oz Nathan bottles and haven't had any problem w/ leaking, so I'll probably just replace the UD ones w/ these

two 20 oz bottles works well for me- I don't think I'd want them much bigger (weight), nor much smaller- short on fluids

I hate the UD bottles. If you have to learn how to drink from a bottle effectively, it's a piss poor design. They made it unnecessarily complicated for the sole purpose of having something different. Every attempt to us UD gear has been a complete and utter failure.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'd agree, the bottles are clearly not up to snuff- however they hit a home a run w/ their signature series vests- maybe because several runners had major input into their design????

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

I swear I'm not pimping this because Hammer Nutrition sells them. These are actually the best bottles that I've ever used. The Purist bottles are lined so they never stink like a lot of other plastic bottles do and I really like how the valve works. It's just a simple open/close valve, but it's soft so I can pull it open with my teeth and it's not uncomfortable. You can leave the valve open while running and it won't leak like the Nathan bottles do. The bottle tapers toward the bottom, so it's easy to get them into a vest pocket while you're moving. They sell for $8.95 but I don't know how that compares to other quality bottles.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/purist-bottles.hwp.html?navcat=accessories&subnavcat=bottles

My LBS has Purist bottles with their own logo. I bought them to support the shop, but I really like them. I also like the Camelbak Podium bottles (but not as handhelds).

Sandy-2

I like the old school UD bottles with the pull top valve.  I HATE the newer UD ones with the red kicker valve.  I like the classic ring-loop at the top, I rest my thumb on it while running and I loop my pinky in it to hold the handheld when downing gels (especially when I'm carrying two handhelds).

Zombie Runner used to sell the old ones, but perhaps not any more.  Here's a link to e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimate-Direction-20oz-Classic-Bottle-Granite-/230808686349?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D360635252271%26ps%3D54

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I like the Nathan 22 oz bottle of the handheld. It fits into the front pocket of my vest. The valve is easy to operate (just the old pull valve), and it closes tightly, even when you wash the lid in the dishwasher.

And I can open the top with frozen hands, and refill and clean the bottle easily due to its wide neck.

However, Nathan's 6- and 10-oz bottles are a case for the trashcan...

Run for fun.

ceezy

I actually like the soft valve on the UD bottles....as it doesn't hurt your teeth (and I normally close it just hitting with the palm of my hand).

My problem with it is trying to pour some on my face or neck, not mastered that technique ha (and I think I actually prefer the amphipod shape)

Not wanting to hijack this thread but does anyone use the Salomon SLab  soft flask glove things??? Really intrigued by them but not sure if I want to splash for them or not.  I have UD and Amphipod handhelds but sometimes I get sick of handhelds on longer runs (for instance I ended up sticking my Amphipod in my shorts Saturday as I was fatigued and my arms felt like crap).  In some ways the Salomon thing looks like it could become a bit odd after a while as well though, not sure about it either.

thanks

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I have the Salomon glove dealies.

Positives

1. No bottle slosh

2. Easy/compact storage of empty bottle

3. I find them comfortable 95% of the time

4. Hydration pack style bite valve

5. Frees up some extra fingers

Negatives

1. Difficult to fill on the go

2. Small capacity (I have 2-8oz bottles)

3. When the soft flask is about 1/2 full (I'm an optimist) it folds funny at the strap that attaches it near your wrist and creates a little pouch.  Really used to bug me, now I don't really notice it.

4. No storage

5. Stupid expensive

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.  If they were not a Salomon product, I doubt I would have considered getting them.  If I didn't get a gift card for xmas I wouldn't have shelled out the $$$.  I use the setup for carrying perpetuem or accelerade when I have the pack on and also for water on shorter runs that it would be nice to have a few sips of water to get you through.

**Ask me about streaking**

ceezy

Thanks for the info... Smile

I think I may wait on these but I am curious to see what direction these soft flask things might take in the future.

And storage is a concern of mine as I would likely have to get something else to carry gels, keys, etc. in whereas I can normally put that stuff in a normal handheld.

Very useful thread....I appreciate all the insight. Looks like I will be doing a little experimenting soon.