Trailer Trash

My Indiana Trail 100 weekend (Read 40 times)

charlesmoman

Some images from the weekend.

I was awarded the IT 100 Directors award for 2014. Last year it was Sam Carman, Superintendent of the park and ardent supporter of the IT 100. The award is for someone who is passionate about the race and I received this on Friday at the information meeting after the past dinner. I was very surprised to hear my name and for ONCE was at a loss for words. I did cry - yes.
    The award is in the shape of a beaver tail - there are beavers ALL over that park and they take down HUGE trees.

IT 100 Award

I received the award from RD - Mike Pfeffercorn - unbelievable RD who has training runs every single week - starting the week after the race. Both day and night runs - ALL YEAR LONG! Amazing guy.

Award from the RD

With Susie, my wife,  after my 100 inches and DNF. She had hard work getting me around the race - she is really a little gal.
    She pulled a back muscle - it is getting better.

Suie and me at the end of MY ultra!

My finish - I was exhausted coming down that chute. I did not "have" to do that, but I had to in my way of thinking.
    Everyone had to go down that chute and so did I.
    This made Susie really mad and it still makes her mad.
    Please don't ask her about this decision of mine.
    Really don't.
    Please please don't - she will go off on you and she almost NEVER does that!

My finish

The park superintendent had this boulder installed near the race start. He LOVES this race and the attention it brings to the park.

Cahin 'O Lakes SP boulder

And we now have permanent trail IT 100 markers out in the park.
    You don't need a map or an app on your iPhone. Very cool.

My running partner - Bob Siscoe - from Spencer on the other side of Bloomington.
    A very quiet and humble guy. He gave me his belt buckle to put in my office as motivation for next year.
    I knew was going to do that - he told the day before and I was blown away.
    But THEN after giving this to me - he said he was giving away the race next year for me. 
    He wants to be my pacer at mile 50 in the 2015 race. I lost it - that is a great friend who is sacrificing for me.

Bob, my great friend and running partner

The buckle's new home for a year. Then it goes back to Bob!

Belt buckle

And lastly - but certainly not "leastly" is this bumper sticker designed by a running friend from Washington State -  Mark Bowder.
    I designed one and ordered it, but Mark came up with a much better one.
    His will be first, then mine. I told Mark I loved it and he went ahead and ordered and paid for it for me.
    Thanks again Mark - a very clever bumper sticker that will get me some questions at races for sure!

Mark's design

My original design - ok, but not as clever as Mark's!

My design

Sandy-2

"...A very quiet and humble guy. He gave me his belt buckle to put in my office as motivation for next year..."

Totally great.

tbd.

LB2

That is very nice. Your attitude is an inspiration.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Thanks for posting this. I love seeing your positive attitude.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

With all the conversations about better to DNF or DNS....this is truly a case of DNF the better decision.  You continue to inspire people.  Just remember that God will not give you more than you can handle.  You were meant to inspire others through this.  Keep up the good work.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

charlesmoman

Well - I just HAD to hang around longer!

We already had tickets for a June 3 flight to CA for the birth of our 5th granddaughter.

Another daughter (we have 3 boys and 3 girls) Becky, was at a wedding in SC when my wreck happened.

She flew to Indy after the wedding to see me before flying back home to Alaska.

She just got engaged and since everyone could not come anyway - decided to go ahead and get married on May 24.

So . . . we are flying to Fairbanks on May 20 for a private wedding at . . . are you ready . . . DENALI!

Wow! What a setting!

I should be golden on crutches, since I can bear weight on both feet now.

Becky is still getting me a walker and wheelchair for longer distances - like maybe a smooth trail at Denali.

So Alaska on May 20 - 27 and then California from June 3 - 10.

Not long after that, I might be lightly jogging!

I already am planning on a party at Morgan Monroe State Forest some day later this summer.

On that day, I will have the runners who were with me that day before my wreck, go - I hope - maybe 5 - 10 slow miles out there.

I will invite other Indiana Trail Runner members to join and we will have  cookout and celebrate life!

We like any excuse to party - I don't drink, but I KNOW they will - but they better have designated drivers - we know what can happen.

BTW - a detective told me they have video footage of my wreck that proves I stopped and waited for a green light and then got nailed.

That was very important for me to know.

AT-runner

Tim

I will invite other Indiana Trail Runner members to join and we will have  cookout and celebrate life!

We like any excuse to party - I don't drink, but I KNOW they will - but they better have designated drivers - we know what can happen.

BTW - a detective told me they have video footage of my wreck that proves I stopped and waited for a green light and then got nailed.

That was very important for me to know.

More people should stop and celebrate life.  

When my father was killed in a car accident (12 years ago, similar story to yours), we got confirmation the other driver was going 78 in a 45mph zone before t-boning my dad's car.  My mother (who was also in the car) said it was nice to hear that it wasn't my father's fault.  I'm glad you got similar confirmation.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

charlesmoman

I was quite sure, but still it was a huge relief!

Sorry to hear about your father.

Today I was thinking about my daughter's wedding coming in AK and other daughter's soon-to-be born daughter in CA.

My death would have really been terrible for them, at that time especially.

I am SO fortunate and blessed. All the insurance and EMT folks said normally no one would have survived my wreck.

Humbling and frightening all at once.

I just took a first walk:

First walk down the driveway - 6 weeks after!