Trailer Trash

Why does it not heal? (Read 62 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

About 4 weeks ago, I got chafed on the back of my heel, slightly above the edge of the shoe. I had tucked my pants into my socks and worn a second pair of pants on top of that, and that caused too much friction, thus the chafing. A scab formed, just a small injury, no big deal. Just about 1/2 inch long and less than 1/4 inch wide.

I did not put any cream on it, as it was so minimal, covered it with a band-aid for a few days, and then just let it heal. Which this thing stubbornly refuses to do. After 4 weeks, the scab is still there, adhering tightly, it does not come off, or heal up properly.

Anyone any suggestions as to why? Isn't 4 weeks a bit long for such a minor "injury"?

The socks that I wear on my runs do not chafe, and there has not been any further chafing since, and nothing (except socks) touches the area during the day. I wear boots only occasionally, and they don't rub or chafe, either. I am clueless.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if the scab is firm and dry and there doesn't appear to be any infection or soreness around it, I think it should be fine- I've got some pretty good dings on my shins where the scab stayed on several weeks before falling off

<-- not a MD so feel free to completely ignore my diagnosis Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Scrapster

Yep, I've had scabs for a long time, too.  Especially where skin is thicker/tougher like on my feet.  I agree with warden - If it is not infected, it should be fine.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, that helps! I see, it is not that unusual to take its time to heal, good to know.

No infection, so I guess I'll just have to be patient!

Run for fun.

I agree.  As long as there is no infection I wouldn't worry.  It might be deeper that you thought or the scab may just be hanging on while the skin underneath is already healed.  In either case, just leave it alone.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Trail Monster

Have you tried soaking the scab to see if it will fall off?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop