Trailer Trash

Warden's handgun review for AT (Read 49 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

As requested by AT :

I'll occasionally carry a handgun when running; primarily when grouse season is open and I'm in the mountains, but occasionally for other reasons.  During the summer we'll sometimes get some transient "less than desirables" who will take advantage of free camping near our trail system here.  We've had a couple of occasions where some of our local runners have had some odd encounters with these transients.  I've recommended that any of our female runners who are running alone carry OC spray- this would likely end any unwanted encounter and it's effective on mountain lions which frequent our trails regularly.  Probably a good idea for anyone running alone in lion country.

I have to start out with a short preach:  Carrying a handgun is a huge responsibility and with that responsibility the first step is enrolling in a quality self defense course with certified instructors- they will cover safety, legal issues, tactics, amongst others and offer hands on range time.  The range time is usually limited and that means getting more (lots) range time on your own.

Obviously any handgun carried running is going to have to be small and light, that eliminates most right off the bat.  I have two that I like- the first one is a S&W 317 revolver- it's a eight shot .22 LR, w/ a  1 7/8" barrel and a very light alloy frame - 9 oz light!  Now a .22 LR isn't at the top of the heap for defense calibers, but I can shoot it all day long at 15 yards and in, double action and keep everything on a pie plate size target.  I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end that's for sure and usually a handgun pointed at a would be perpetrator's face is enough to convince him to move along.

But the real reason for this purchase was for grouse getting.  For those that don't know- our mountain grouse (ruffed, blue and spruce) are often found along trails and often aren't overly concerned with people hiking/running by and thus can sometimes be offed with such a short barreled weapon.

The other handgun I run with occasionally is not designed with grouse in mind.  It's a Glock 42, a relatively new model in Glock's lineup.  A seven shot (6+1) .380.  It looks, works, disassembles and shoots like any Glock- it's just on a very small frame.  It's pretty light (13 oz, 17 oz loaded), slim (<1")  and small (just under 6").  I really am fond of this little handgun and is what I carry off duty as it is so easy to conceal- even wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Even more recently, Glock came out with a sister model the 43 which is chambered in 9mm, a yet better choice for self defense.  Specs are about the same.

I am certainly not advocating for everyone to start packing heat , but for those that have reason to- a quick and dirty review of a couple models that I think check off a lot of boxes.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

OBMedic

It's funny you mentioned about hunting grouse specifically as I kicked up 3 different ruffed grouse on my run today. Got within 10 feet or less of all of them before they took off. I second your opinion of the Glock 42. I also own one that I carry in an ankle holster when my G23 inside the waistband isn't practical. I absolutely love it and, compared to the size of my G23, I barely notice it. I've thought about carrying while running but I've never come across a holster system that I thought could work with running shorts. Any opinions on/experience with holsters for running? What do you use for your G42 when you carry it while running?

Also, slightly unrelated, do you think you still would have gone with the 42 if the 43 had been released at the same time? I'm kind of wishing I had waited for the 43 to have the 9mm over the .380 round. Though when I bought my 42 there was no mention of a 43 to come, probably because Glock knew that was the way to sell the most guns.

Upcoming Races

Nutcracker 12 hour- 12/15/15 (Depending on Work Schedule)

Everglades Ultras 50M- 2/20/16

Black Mountain Monster 24 hour- May 2016

www.alwaysmoretogive.com

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

OBMedic - have you run the Everglades 50K before. It's questionable whether I can get vacation at that time, but it's still a long shot possibility. BTW isn't the date the 20th?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Several years ago I picked up a little Kahr P380. As the name would suggest it's chambered for .380. At the time it was the thinnest and lightest subcompact pistol on the market. I picked it over the S&W Bodyguard simply because of availability, the Bodyguards were going like hotcakes.

Things I like about it:

1). All polymer and stainless with the exception of the sights. Since I carry in all weather and it gets soaked with sweat and rain I don't have to worry about things rusting up if it doesn't get thoroughly cleaned after each run.

2). Very light. With 8 round it weighs just about 16-17 oz.

3). Fits my small hands very nicely.

4). Moderately accurate for such a small gun. I'll practice at 8-10 yards and can get good groupings.

5). Better than pepper spray since I don't have to worry about wind direction.

Reasons why I carry it. First is dogs. I've had several close encounters and have some hunter friends who had to shot coyotes or coy dogs when they were out scouting for deer. Second is for two legged varmints. While I'm not scared to run without it I look at it like an insurance policy. Have it but hope to never use it. Third is for the occasional bear that may become snotty. Here in PA that's not a big issue, but occasionally a bear will give someone trouble. I believe that most of our bad bear encounters are due to people feeding them. FWIW, If I have bear problems the first shot will go into the ground in front of them.

How I carry:

I have a UD backpack with the water bottle holders in the back. I put the gun in a little Blackhawk #1 holster and it fits really nicely in the holder and is moderately accessible. If I'm running without a pack I have a Nathan fanny pack that I stick it in. On the bike I just stick it in a jersey pocket and head out. It's so lightweight that most people can't tell it's there.

Just to add to Wardens preaching. If someone here decides to start carrying a pistol make sure you become familiar with all your state laws. They can vary widely across the country.

OBMedic

wcrunner2- I haven't run it before but it sounded like a course with enough variety that was pretty flat. I also found out after I signed up that I might have a place to stay for a few days through work that is about 15 minutes from the start of the race. And you're correct it's on the 20th, I don't know how I got off by a day when I put that in my sig line.

Upcoming Races

Nutcracker 12 hour- 12/15/15 (Depending on Work Schedule)

Everglades Ultras 50M- 2/20/16

Black Mountain Monster 24 hour- May 2016

www.alwaysmoretogive.com

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if I'm running near town (usually means 10-12 miles or less) I will carry in an accessory pocket (made by Gossamer Gear- it's for backpacks) and slip it on my UD Essentials belt- I can almost get the 42 in the UD stretch pocket, but not quite.  If I was handy I'd make a little larger stretch pocket for it.

I've looked at this as a possibility:

http://www.pistolwear.com/pt-2-concealment-holster/

I think a large pocket clip ala Kel Tec, might actually work pretty well- just bumped into this for the 42/43- hmmmmm

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/handgun-carry-clips/carry-clip-for-glock--prod281.aspx

in the mountains the 317 will just go in a pack pocket

yeah I might have gone with the 43 if it was available at the time I picked up my 42

DD- my buddy has a small Kahr (CM40) and he really likes it, but said it kicks like a mule 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Well first off I have to say I am appalled to read that you guys would ground swat the King of game birds, the noble Ruffed Grouse. Almost criminal in my eyes not to even mention ethics!  What's next? Best shotgun to use while shooting ducks swimming around on a farm pond? 

So while I always have a compact 9mm in my overnight bag I grabbed an old J frame Smith and it's holster before I left to come up here. DW asked what was up and I told here I wanted to experiment with carrying both handguns while running this weekend to come up with some plans moving forward. She just said "don't tell me you're turning into one of those paranoid right wing nut cases".  No dear, I'll always be a left wing wacko.

Running long yesterday with drained legs my usual 2 hour loop took much longer and it was totally dark by the time I finished. No headlamp with me but that was fine as I know these trails but as I was running thru wolf country I was thinking, hmmm, very dark, dark backdrop, dark predator, damn I like having that little laser sight on my LC9.  Personally I just like having a little more horsepower with a 9mm v .380. Still pretty compact.  The downside to the LC9 is a brutal trigger pull but with plenty of practice I am confident at close range in a moment of need everything will work out fine.  Should add that when I got back to my shack and let my dog out and walked around with her in the dark I could hear a pack of wolves howling across the lake sounding like they were on a friends property.

So my question is what kind of sights are you using for that type of scenario? At least for my area the only predator I am concerned with is a wolf and they go into hunt mode around dusk into dark.

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for the reviews. I've done some range work with a Glock and really like the size, just haven't purchased yet. I would think the SW would feel bulky, but sounds like you really like it.

I'm considering for fastpacking trips and not my every day running.  I have some range work, but not as much as I feel I should to be comfortable (which makes me unique in that I know my limitations).  Most of my family was in law enforcement (think Irish cops), so have always had great respect for carrying.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

NH- rarely ruffed grouse (but occasionally ), most often Blue or Spruce

sights- my duty guns have always had/have tritium sights- I like the ones where the front sight is a different color (ie green rear/orange front) or even just a lone tritium front sight

neither my off duty or j frame has tritium sights, but I always make sure I pack a light

don't have much experience with lasers, only what I've read- some love em, some hate em- I say if they work for you, then that's all you need to know- obviously one would want to practice with the laser extensively (and also not neglect practicing with the iron sights)

AT- yeah the little J frame is a little bulkier, but not terribly so- obviously ultra reliable and also lighter

if you're familiar with the Glock and like it- the small 42 or 43 are very good choices for a light, packable handgun

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

My Kahr came with Trijicon night sights. They just brighten up  in the dark so you can see the front and the rear. The downside is that the longer the gun is in the dark the dimmer the glow is, so if it's carried concealed in a pack or under clothing they may not be very bright. I had considered putting a laser sight on it but didn't want the extra bulk.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Old thread, new handgun Smile

I ended up selling my Glock 42 some time ago- great handgun, I just was never 100% sold on the .380.  Enter the 43- basically identical to the 42, but chambered for the 9mm.  You might not be aware, but several large law enforcement agencies (including the FBI) have recently traded in their .40 calibers for 9mm's.  Basically newer bullet designs (and subsequent performance) have brought the smaller 9mm up to the performance level of the .40.  Bottom line, the 9mm is a very formidable caliber for self defense.

While I have the utmost confidence in my S&W j-frame revolver, it's simply a lot tougher to carried concealed than these small frame semi autos.

I never ended up putting tritium sights on my 42, I have tritium sights on the way for my 43.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

I'm getting a thrill reading this just now...The sound of a grouse flushing unseen just gets my heart rate up.  and I can taste the fire roasted breast, right now.

Harrier, I think handgun or archery adds enough of a degree of difficulty to forgive the ground shooting.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Bert-o

I lost my rama

You might not be aware, but several large law enforcement agencies (including the FBI) have recently traded in their .40 calibers for 9mm's.  Basically newer bullet designs (and subsequent performance) have brought the smaller 9mm up to the performance level of the .40. 

Interesting.  I was not aware of this, mostly because I haven't paid much attention for a while.  Might be due for an upgrade.   I'd be interested in your feedback on the weight and how it handles and what ammo spec you go with.

Speaking of ammo, it reminded me of my mentor and family friend growing up who taught me most of what I know about handling, shooting, and hunting.  As a kid, I spent countless hours with him at his private range (up to 300 yards) and on hunting trips.  He also taught me how to hand load.  Little did I know at that time that he was a legend...

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/8/18/in-memoriam-william-c-davis-jr/

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

hitting a mountain grouse using  a 2” revolver definitely  isn’t a gimme 

Bert-o- I’ll give you my impressions after some time at the range. For ammunition, I’ve been using Hornaday Critical Defense- as far as I’m aware it’s the best defensive ammo out there (across calibers)- all the FBI testing shows very good penetration (multiple different mediums including thick clothing) combined with good expansion- a good combination.

neat article!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Thought I'd move this follow up over here from the dailies so it doesn't get lost.

Warden - There were two public auctions here in the area. Both of them were older, long time collectors who decided that it was time to sell their collections.  So, like normal for auctions, the prices were all over the place. Some steals and some very high.  The 1895 looked in good shape to me and the action worked nice.  It went for $875. According to some online sources I looked at after the fact, it should have been closer to 1300-1500.  Before this auction I didn't really know about them. but now I'm interested in one. I'd really love to have one in 7.62X54 because they were actually sold to the Russians and used around WWI.  Prices on those seem to be closer to 5k.  The one that I was hoping to get was a model 1905 in .35 Winchester. It's basically a wall piece because the Ammo is no longer made so the only way to shoot it is to cut down .34-40 Krag cases. Online pricing shows that a top price for that should be $600.00 max, with most people suggesting 300-400. It went for around 900. No way i was going to pay that much for it.  DS wanted a lever action Rossi .410 that was there. According to him new price is around 500. This one went for  $575 and it only took shells up to 2 1/2".  I picked up the Paratrooper for $1500. Don't know if i should be    or . It seems like these things are difficult to price because most of them were rebuilt after the wars.

Bert-O - There were quite a few old levers at the one.  A lot of stuff dating back to just around 1900.  Some sold really well, some not so well. My wife's niece's husband collects those.   Right now I would like to get a new Henry in .41 Mag to go with my S&W 57 in the same caliber.  Think I might have spent my gun budget so that might be next years buy.   Ahh, the old 1903 Springfield.  I want one of those too. Oh wait, I have one .  It was my first deer rifle. The guy that sold it to me cut me a real good deal since I was 18 and it was my first rifle. He had put a new barrel on it. The stock is cut down and he had called it a carbine. Since they never really made a carbine in the 1903 I'm wondering if it was one of the "Bushmaster's" that were cut down for jungle training down in Panama and then someone further sporterized the forearm. Anyway, like he told me then it has no value as a old military item, just for shooting, which leads me to the next thing with it.  The serial number is just over 100k which according to some people puts it in the category of those that were not correctly heat treated and therefore may be unsafe to fire .   Think I'll just keep some light loads around in case I ever need to use it for something.   That must have been something having a mentor like Bill Davis.