Trailer Trash

Sometimes it just feels right (cycling, but applicable to running) (Read 23 times)

Watoni

Today I took my lunch hour but consuming some Tailwind and heading out on my more rough and tumble road bike up to Skyline Boulevard. I used my Garmin Fenix instead of a cycling computer so I would not be watching speed or elevation, but the redwoods and the sky. So, as I hit what is likely the benchmark climb in the area (not due to difficulty, but due to its beauty and accessibility), I spun the legs but did not feel like I was going all out. It was a very pleasant hard effort, something a bit rare but that I have encountered more running than cycling. The legs just tick over smoothly, the lungs are working hard but you feel you could go harder if needed ... comfortably uncomfortable with the sensation of a bit of speed.

So, downloading the data afterwards it was either my best or second best effort (Strava has some contradictory segments here). In any event, I did the climb under 20 minutes (the "Low-Key hill climb" segment shows 19:37 for the 3.1 miles at 7.7% with my best being 19:30).

I wish this happened more often, but that feeling is very gratifying. Of course, passing the memorial to my friend on the way down sapped some of that positive emotion ... fresh flowers are still at the junction, but it also made me appreciate these moments even more somehow.

Hope you all have some comfortably uncomfortable runs soon Wink

Daydreamer1

I know the feeling. Unfortunately I haven't felt it for a while. For me I would get the feeling more on the bike then while running. I thought that it was due to having many more cycling miles in my legs then running miles.

After Sunday I plan to get back on the bike and put in some miles in the nice fall weather, just spending time looking at the scenery.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sometimes, I also get that feeling, and I love it. I felt it a few weeks ago, when I ran some very fast miles on a warm evening, moisture from after a rain steaming up from the pavement on a quiet backcountry road, the air all fresh with a nice smell, and my DS biking along with me. Wheee!

Sorry to hear about your friend. When I pass the memorial of the runner who died during the Tussey Mountainback relay, I think of him and appreciate life, and its good moments, ever more. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Run for fun.