Trailer Trash

Racing is expensive! (Read 62 times)

moonlightrunner

I was thinking of running a 5k trail race tomorrow. It is $40! It was 30 if you entered before Friday. I find that I am temped to enter races...but I am hesitant to spend that kind of money.

Do you think 35 or 40 dollars is out of line for a 5k? What is your cutoff money wise for a race? I wish I had running friends..I would just organize fatass events.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

some call me Tim

Forty bucks for a 5k?! It had better be something special.

I can see the race day price increase - last minute registration is a headache from an organizational standpoint, but road or trail, around here they tend to be 25 or 30. The current series of 15 mile-ish trail runs are all 30 a pop, and even the 50k I've got planned for the fall is 30 if you register ahead.

Occasional Runner

Racing local is cheap. Racing nationally or internationally is expensive.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

$40 sounds crazy high for a 5k (unless they are giving out $40 shirts)- our 30-50k races are typically $50-60, which seems to be reasonable considering all of the work packing in food/water into aid stations and additional logistics.  They also tend to give away nice (Brooks, North Face, etc) shirts for finishing.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's a bit much for a 5k... hell that is a lot for a 10k or 15k. The most I've paid for 5k's, 10k's and 15k's whether on road or trail is $25.00 where I live. Half marathons on roads are around $40, sometimes $60 for really big ones and trail races.

I registered for my first marathon within the first 5 minutes of opening, $60 for the first 3,000 registrants. The Indianapolis Monumental Marathon:

May 9 - June 30 is $90F / $70H / $30 5k,

July 1 - October 7 is $100F / $80H / $35 5k

October 8 - October 28 is $110F / $85H / $40 5k (or until sell out)

October 30 - October 31 (Expo if Available) is $125F / $90H / $40 5k

I won't drive more than 30 minutes for a 5k, 10k or 15k, but I've driven to St. Louis, Owensboro and Indy for a half marathon and will be driving to Indy in November for the full marathon. $40 for a 5k seems a bit much to me, hell even $80 for a half marathon but eh. The full marathon's $60 early bird sold out in less than 24 hours, it was open for 48 hours I think.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

My last 50k was only 45$ sans shirt.

You people have issues 

Sandy-2

Racing local is cheap. Racing nationally or internationally is expensive.

+1.  Doing 100 milers is also expensive.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I agree with Sandy and Kelly. When the race is out of driving distance, or if it goes longer than 12 hrs, so that lodging becomes an issue, logistics and budget multiply. But $40 is still a lot for a 5k. Is it for charity? Then I might be willing to.pay that, budget allowing. But for a for-profit race, no.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

It was a charity run...and a good one...I just can't spend it now. Races outside of driving distance are not even something I could ever consider.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It was a charity run...and a good one...I just can't spend it now. Races outside of driving distance are not even something I could ever consider.

I think most 5Ks are charity runs now and some use that to justify setting entry fees much higher than what is customary. Typical 5K fees in my area are $20-25 pre-entry and $25-30 late entry or day of the race. I've also noticed that races are starting to eliminate race day entry.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

NorthernHarrier

Well I can't say that most 5k's are charity runs around here at all. Some are but many are just tied in with a longer event put on by anything from a for profit promoter to local communities having their events. All kinds around here.  While I have yet to register I am doing a couple on the 14th and 21st of June. The prices are $35 for one and $40 for the other. These are both trail events. The one at $40 is for a local non-profit nature thing and the other is a private for profit organizer who I don't really like and is pretty cheap on what he offers in refreshments etc. I only plan on doing that one as it is about 20 minutes from my cabin and it might be a good fast paced training run (fast being relative) leading up to a trail triathlon two weeks later.

I have really cut events out in general and would just rather run for the most part on my own at my schedule. But I still get the fire once in awhile so I pay and get my fix.

Gator eye

I draw a line at 20 bucks for a 5k, pay anymore than that and they want to start throwing dye and foam at you while your running.

NorthernHarrier

I draw a line at 20 bucks for a 5k, pay anymore than that and they want to start throwing dye and foam at you while your running.

Funny.  There's an article in our paper this morning about all the people who entered a 5k here a few days ago are upset as the foam sprayers weren't working right and the course wasn't laid out properly.  BOO-HOO.    Thee people should be embarrassed! And what a surprise--a promoter who put on one of these type events could have been somewhat unscrupulous. Jeesh!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I try and base the cost on price per mile.  So a $40 5k is $12.90 per mile.  They better be good miles.  Compare that to Stone Mill 50 miler which is 70 cents per mile with possibly a bonus mile (or 5) thrown in for free.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I try and base the cost on price per mile.  So a $40 5k is $12.90 per mile.  They better be good miles.  Compare that to Stone Mill 50 miler which is 70 cents per mile with possibly a bonus mile (or 5) thrown in for free.

I like the way you think...

I will pay $200.00 for a 100 miler, and I will probably pay up to 70 for a 50K. I don't know if I would go much higher than that. I won't pay anything for a marathon or less. I know a few people who have paid huge money to run Chicago or some big city marathon. I won't ever do that.

LB2