Trailer Trash

When to go to doctor for a tick bite? (Read 44 times)

Ultra Cowboy

I made an appt. for this afternoon, but I am thinking I may be too soon.  Apparently a local reddening is normal and when it gets dime sized then it is time to see the doctor.

It was a Deer Tick.  Male or large nymph

I was in the outdoors Northern CA, From 8 am - 4pm and removed the tick at 9:00pm.

It was attached.  I did not keep the tick.

It did not seem "engorged"

What is the SOP now a days?

WYBMADIITY

Save

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You don't meet any of the criteria (attached for a long time, engorged, rash, etc), but better safe than sorry?  I don't know.  I pull ticks off me all the time, but they're either crawling or never attached for very long.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

When my DS had a deer tick attached a few weeks ago (which I removed, but part of the mouth remained in the skin for 2 weeks or so, before I could pull it out), his pediatrician (DS had an appointment for his well-being checkup, and I asked) told me to just wait and have DS tested if he got a rash within the next 4-6 weeks, was not feeling well, or got an unexplained low-grade fever.

The "bull's eye rash" is not very common, somewhere 20-50% of people who get actually infected with Lyme Disease develop the typical rash, others may have other symptoms.

Still not too bad to see the doc if you are worried. I'd just put some Neosporin (or generic) onto the bite to avoid a plain skin infection, but usually not even that is necessary.

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Have you had Lyme before?  My understanding is that after you have had it once, it stays with you enough to render future Lyme disease testing worthless (you will always test positive).  I think it takes a few weeks for Lyme to show up in blood work anyways.  I'd do some research into how prevalent Lyme disease is in your area and figure that as my odds for contracting and decide if I want to roll the dice...but I'm a gambling man myself Smile

**Ask me about streaking**

muppy

Just my experience, my son had it a few years ago and he had the bullseye rash on his back. IIRC it was about 6 or 8 inches across, and the dr gave him some antibiotics and he was good to go. One suggestion I got was to put a  pen mark on the side of the rash to see if it's getting bigger or smaller.Hope your ok!