Trailer Trash

Racing 100 Fridaily (Read 38 times)

moonlightrunner

Good luck to the 100milers (Lace, Gator)...as well as all the others getting ready for weekend races.

It is a great day...I am getting ready to head out to Woodstock where my run buddy is running her first 50miler tomorrow. I am volunteeing at an overnight aid station for the Hundies. It will be fun...I wish I were racing....but hopefully I will be on the 20th.

I hope everyone has a great day filled with many fun miles!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

I should get 20 tonight and 20 Sunday.

Good luck racers.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

biking to work and strength training this evening; tomorrow we're headed to Chico Hot Springs resort in Paradise Valley north of Yellowstone- before we get there I've got a nice 10 mile dayhike planned up to a high alpine lake (9100')- we're packing in our rods because the lake has cutthroat in it, also taking my little .22 revolver as mountain grouse season is now open Big grin

good luck to this weekend racers!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Good luck lace_up and Gator.

I plan to do 5 or so after work today.  It's still hot down here, I guess we'll hit about 90*, and they are calling for some lightening later so that could be "fun".

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Howdy gang!  Rough day yesterday for us Packer fans.  Hard game, but I thought we would play better.  Oh well.  It's a rest and/or bike day for me today.

So yesterday I had my PT running analysis/evaluation.  It was pretty interesting.

After checking my ROM and doing some drills to warm up, I walked on the treadmill for a few minutes. Then she had me run at a 10:30 pace to warm up. After a few minutes of that, she bumped it up to a 10mm, which I guess is a fairly normal pace for me, and started videotaping. I probably ran for about 10 minutes or so while she switched the angles. Then we played back the video both in real time and in slow motion/frame by frame.

Basically, I have almost perfect running mechanics. My pelvis was straight, my feet landed at the right angle, my take off was exactly off my 4th metatarsal, my trunk vertical (or something) was perfect. She was so pleased with the video of my feet landing/taking off that she asked if she could use it in an upcoming presentation. Sure! So maybe that's why I've never been injured before this crap happened -- I have good mechanics!

The only thing I could work on was cadence. Apparently my knees could be a little more bent when landing and the way to improve that is to up your cadence. She suggested running with a metronome set at 174bmp (a 5% increase from my current 168.) But she also said if that doesn't feel natural, that I should just roll with what feels the best.  I'll have to look into metronome apps on my phone. 

I can gradually start increasing my runs to 4-5 miles at a time and I will come back in a month to see her. So all in all, I'd say it went pretty well.

Running is dumb.

DigDug2

SRD for me, but will probably do 30-40 minutes on the stepper at lunch.  4.5+ hr long run on Sunday, last one before a taper.

Have a great running weekend!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all,

Good luck Lace and Gator

Mandy - I recommend setting the metronome for (cadence/2)...it's too much beeping at 174...also, if you're running on anything other than a track or a long stretch of a path you can pretty much much forget about using it ($0.02)

Resting today.  Triathlon tomorrow.  I'm nervous so I'll try and keep myself distracted today.

QOTD: Nervousness...do you get it before a race?  To what extent?

I'm generally pretty worthless in the days leading up to a big race (for me anything longer than a 5k).  I get tunnel vision and have a tough time focusing on non-race related activities (like work).

**Ask me about streaking**

Brian Runner

First 100k race for me tomorrow at the Pine Creek Challenge. Connie Gardner should cruise past me late in the race on her way to her second Pine Creek 100 miler win in two years after setting the sub 17 hour course record last year. Well, unless she gets beat that is. The woman who won Eastern States 100 a couple weeks ago will be there also. Not sure about the men's side.

DigDug2

Mandy - if you listen to music while you run, try one of those "beats per minute" apps that create playlists of songs with whatever BPM you want.  Better than listening to a metronome.  (I've also heard of apps that convert songs to a target BPM without distorting the music, but I'm not sure if those really work.)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy - if you listen to music while you run, try one of those "beats per minute" apps that create playlists of songs with whatever BPM you want.  Better than listening to a metronome.  (I've also heard of apps that convert songs to a target BPM without distorting the music, but I'm not sure if those really work.)

I am not supposed to listen to it during the entire run, but rather turn it on for a minute or two and then turn off for a while, rinse and repeat.  But I'll look into the music thing too!

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Worked early, and now it's football time. No, I'm not into football at all -I don't even know the basic rules, apart from that it's important to catch the ball and run with it, or kick it at times. But I do like the intermission, I think it's called the halftime show.  

Most of my "football activities" are at work, which gets just crazy on PSU football weekends, especially home games (imagine a 40,000 residents town plus 20,000 students, tripling on such weekends - our stadium alone has 108,000 seats and it's usually sold out  Wink.

Rather, DD plays in the high school marching band, and I forgot to pick up her uniform from the drycleaner, so now I have to get the darn thang, pack it up with the small change (hat, spats, gloves, and there was something else that I forgot but hope to remember in time - oh, wait, shoes!), and deliver it to the school.

I guess my run will fall short today. Which is a shame, as it's nice and warm (close to 90) today.

Lace, gator, zilla, Brian: good luck for your races!

Moonlight: have a fun night!

LB2: enjoy your run!

Warden: sounds like a great weekend ahead!

Sandy: hope the weather cooperates!

Mandy: your form must be beautiful to watch. I use a metronome occasionally (mostly when I get bored with my runs), and I do it like you have been advised to, turning it on for a minute or so, then run without, later check again, etc.  I naturally run at 174 steps per min, but only on flat (gravel) roads. On trails, this cadence varies wildly, though.

DD2: have fun stepping!

QOTD: sometimes. I was nervous before each first race at a new distance, because I was never sure if I would be able to finish. Now I have a bit more confidence, but there is still always some nervousness, which goes away after the first few steps (mostly when spectators are cheering us on at the start), then it's all focus.

Much of the nervousness now is on the days before the race, until I have made up my mind about what to wear, what to pack, and how to run the race.

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

5.4 with Earl this am...

QOTD:  Yes...more excited themn nervous.

jamezilla: Good luck on the tri tomorrow...don't drowned!

Lace and Gator eye good luck today and tomorrow...Brian good luck tomorrow.

Mandy:  I guess your young enough to make it worth your while to improve your cadence but it just sounded to complicated for me. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Decent 9 miles with LadyB on the trails of Green Lane last night. Once again we added some bonus miles to one of my regular routes. Weather was warm and sunny with a bright setting sun reflecting off the lake. In a few places, towards the end and heading back west, it was practically blinding. Today I just did a road run at lunchtime,  8 miles looping into town and back. It actually was a pretty good run.

Tonight the missus and I will walk the beasts out on the trails.

Sort of having Superior Sawtooth flashback from last year today.

QOTD: I am mostly nervous the night before the race about waking up early and taking a good crap. Morning of the race once that is done I am pretty relaxed.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Mandy- glad to hear you're making such good progress!  I'd bet they could use my video on what not to run like Big grin

qotd: no, if I had the least chance of finishing anywhere near the top- maybe; I get super excited when I approach mid pack!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

Go racers!

Exhausted generally but may try to get out.

QOTD: Yes, especially if I am under-prepared, which is most often the case