Trailer Trash

Some last-minute 100-miler questions (Read 65 times)

mecrowe

Computer Geek

. But then again, some folks have a hard time seeing the car after every loop. 

I ran with Shaun Pope, who won OC100 last year, on a training run this past summer.  He said that he wasn't running it again because he didn't like the loops because it was so hard to drag himself out for his third loop.

Just be mentally prepared Couch, I know you will be awesome!

Uh oh... now what?

I know, it's old, but some of it still applies:

Some odds and ends to get you through the day, the distance, whatever…

Believe in yourself--nothing else will get you to the finish line.

Decide before you start what will stop you--if that doesn't happen, you continue.

Are you racing or running?  Time goal (sub-24, big buckle, age group) or running to finish.  Don't let the initial goal be etched in stone.  Something may go wrong out there--adjustments will need to be made.  Make them and keep going.

Run your plan.  Stay within your realm.  Don't feel bad if someone passes you.  Don't chortle with glee if you pass someone.  Keep a sense of what your are about.  Keep pressing on, maybe it is one of those good days when you pick it up and keep on picking it up.

Have faith in walking.  Walk when you need to or when you want to, but walk with purpose...no trudging...no survival shuffle...keep a good mindset and walk with a purpose.

Be sure your crew (if you have one, a crew is not a necessity) understands that you might go through a transition from nice person to "not so nice" person.  Have a talk with them about the need to kick your butt back out on the course.  Sympathy may exist, but not to the extent of shortchanging the runner.

Problems.  Is it a problem or just an inconvenience?  Decide which.  Find a solution for the problem.  Block out the inconvenience.

Food.  Stick with the safest food there is at the aid stations.  Use as much of your own stuff as you can, but don't be inflexible about things not being just perfect.  Be flexible as you go.

Equipment.  If some equipment change comes into your head--is it a need or a want.  If it is a need, solve it at the next crew or drop bag point.  If it is a want and can't be fixed fairly easily, drop the thought—keep moving.

Throwing up, vomiting, coughing the cookies...it may happen even if it has never happened before.  It is not fatal.  It is an inconvenience.  You might need more water between the point it happens and the next aid station (it can dehydrate).  Drink more.  Stay at the next aid station long enough to drink and eat more.  Your body is now low on fuel and water.  You must pay attention to eating more.  You can restore the liquids fairly quickly, but you must eat every chance you get.  Try not to throw up on anyone :| .

Don't stop.  Keep moving.  Low points will come, continued movement will bring you back around.  Don't sit in those chairs unless you really need to--you will not really need to until somewhere past 80 miles.

Be encouraging to others.  Smiles and laughter will be helpful to others.  Helping others will be helpful to yourself.

Smile and joke with the aid station folks and say thank you to the volunteers.  They will help you all through the day and night and...be good to them.  They are a great source of energy and inspiration donating all that time to get us through our little escapade.

No externalizing of negatives.  No, "Hot out here, ain't it?"  No, "This is a long hill, eh?"  Just believe in yourself, all that training, all those folks you ran with throughout the winter, spring, and summer that got you so strong.

It's all there...yours for the taking.

Run gently out there.

LB2

Run your plan.  Stay within your realm.  Don't feel bad if someone passes you.  Don't chortle with glee if you pass someone.  Keep a sense of what your are about.  Keep pressing on, maybe it is one of those good days when you pick it up and keep on picking it up.

Have faith in walking.  Walk when you need to or when you want to, but walk with purpose...no trudging...no survival shuffle...keep a good mindset and walk with a purpose.

I am a very long way from having the wisdom of John; I probably never will. And all the things he mentions ring true to me, but the two above are the most important to me. A very wise and accomplished 100 mile guy gave me the exact same two pieces of advice. I was inquiring about some things before I ran my first distance beyond a half marathon, which was a 50K. The first thing this gentleman told me was that you need a race plan, and you have to have the courage to stick with it. I never understood "courage to stick with it" until I ran a longer distance than the 50K. But basically, what I found out is that you have to block out is that you don't want to get sucked into someone else's pace or idea about the race. I lost my focus on this very important rule and ended up with a DNF. I lost confidence in my plan because I had some unexpected difficulties, lost all hope, and gave up too soon. I didn't like the way that felt (feels). And I have to wait until next year to go back to that race and make it right in my mind.

On the second piece of advice, walking with a purpose is paramount to successfully completing a 100 mile race, at least it is for me and most people. One of the most profound examples of how important this skill is was exemplified last year at a trail half marathon that I jumped in at the last minute. I actually won my age group!!! Anyway, I went out too fast, took a nasty spill and lost several spots because I rolled off the trail into a thicket down a large embankment. I got up and got into a comfortable pace and figured I would just enjoy the day focusing on form and running like it was a longer distance than a half marathon (nothing against half marathons... I love that distance). On the second and final loop of the course, I wanted to see how much time I would really lose if I walked the steeper uphills, and there were many steep ones on the course. I came around a sharp corner and started up. I was behind a guy who was running. I passed him with my walking. I can't count the times this has happened.

Good luck.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

John's advice helped me through my first ultra. I'd listen carefully to what he says.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.