Trailer Trash

short review of the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer windshirt (Read 162 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I believe this is the lightest windshirt currently on the market, my Men's Large weighs 1.7 oz  Shocked and packs up to about the size of a pack of cigarettes

the material is gossamer like, MH says it's a 7D x 10D ripstop- I say it's damn light!

I've used it a couple of times, the latest being today and probably the windiest day- 15 mph w/ gusts to 25, there was also a light on/off again rain/sleet going on- the shirt works pretty well, did a good job of taming the wind while still breathing decently- you do have to be a little cautious when going through brushy patches, you wouldn't want to fix fence in this shirt for obvious reasons Big grin

I have a Patagonia Houdini that I use most of the time and this won't replace it- the Houdini is heavier (4 oz) and bulkier, but it has an adj  hood and it has a drawstring waist- it's also full zip (the Ghost is a pullover, but does have a decent length zipper to vent).  Breathability and the DWR finish is pretty close on both- they'll both shed a light rain or snow and if the shirt happens to wet out- it'll still keep heat in and wind out.  If I know I'm going to be wearing my windshirt out of the gate, I'll probably grab the Houdini, but on occasions where I want to stuff something into my single bottle waist pack (has a really small zippered compartment)- the Ghost will get the nod.

Don't let the retail price scare you, I got mine off of STP for less than 1/2 price- I had to be a little patient Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

skeene07

Dirty Girl

What is STP? And why did you have a rubber band around it instead of in its pocket?!

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Nice review!  What kind of conditions do you think it works best in?

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

What is STP? And why did you have a rubber band around it instead of in its pocket?!

Sierra Trading Post- one of the best places to find outdoor gear (including trail shoes) at bargain prices; just discovered the little pocket last night! Big grin  it's actually two small pockets- the pocket that you can pack the shirt into has a sleeve behind it as well- so you could stash some gels, cubes, etc in either

it takes a little work getting the shirt to pack into the pocket- it's small, but definitely doable Smile

Nice review!  What kind of conditions do you think it works best in?

I wear a windshirt any time I want a little additional warmth (over a base layer top), need to block the wind or if there is light precip- it'll deter biting bugs as well- I've used one religiously for backpacking/hiking- it was a very natural carry over to trail running because the ability of it to breathe well

it's as handy in the summer (excluding sweltering heat) as it is in the winter (spring/fall)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Oh I love STP...just didn't know that's what you were talking about! And dang I paid the $95 from some other site for that jacket for my husband for Xmas and thought I was getting a good deal! He is liking his a lot too though.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Oh I love STP...just didn't know that's what you were talking about! And dang I paid the $95 from some other site for that jacket for my husband for Xmas and thought I was getting a good deal! He is liking his a lot too though.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

yeah- the have a lot of junk to sort through, but there are definitely get some gems Smile

looks like they are still on there (STP) men's and women's- listed at $95, but you can get 25-35% discount codes almost daily- you can sign up for their email discounts

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √