Trailer Trash

Aid Station Strategy (Read 59 times)

Occasional Runner

I think we've defined Trail Running as the most badass endurance sport on the face of the planet, despite the protest of a vocal minority. With that being said, I think we can learn a valuable lesson from the triathlon crowd about proper race preparation.

You can't pick up a Triathlon magazine, or read triathlon forums without being inundated with granular details regarding the best strategies for getting into and out of the transition area. These athletes only visit transition TWICE during their race and they apply strict focus on training to shave fractions of seconds off their time. Triathletes will even set up simulated transition areas and train their entrance and exit. They organize every piece of gear in a well thought out pattern to aid in a speedy transition.

Trail runners seem to totally wing it. Why is that?

Experience has shown me that trail runners are often confused and aloof when they enter an aid station. Bumbling around an aid station table and arguing with their crew about where their gear is...whatever...it's usually chaos.

We may visit our aid stations dozens of times during a race, yet there's little discussion or planning around this part of the race. Do the math. If you run 100 miles and visit 20 aid stations, a little planning and organization can shave an hour off your finish time. (This still matters in shorter races too)

Is this something you give much thought to in your training? Do you develop strategies ahead of time? I would love to hear how other people approach this topic.

Thanks.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I bet the fact that they report your transition times in the race results plays a big role.

In the 50k I ran, I thought I was going to be really prepared for the aid stations and thought everything out to an unnecessary degree.  When I ran the race, everything was different than all the plans I had in my head so I pretty much "winged it".  I'll chalk that up to inexperience.  I'm a planner so I think I would have a strategy and a game plan every time (whether it works or not).

**Ask me about streaking**

XtremeTaper

I have been called many things and one of them is the buffet king. So I have to be careful.

I tend to be a grazer and normally run without crew so am going to burn a bit of time at the aid stations. I do my best to limit the damage and in shorter races it is not much of an issue. Top off fluids, eat a few snacks, grab a few and eat as you walk your way down the trail. I carry gels and salt tabs to supplement between points.

For long ultras, where drop bag locations are offered, I try to lay out some sort of plan based on time and needs along the way, taking into account weather and/or expected conditions for the day. Limit the drop bags to a few key locations and have things organized. A packet for things you want to take with you on the way out (gels, headlamp, batteries, whatever) so they are easy to find. Maybe another packet for medicinal items (lube, tums, tape, etc) so it's not all sprawled about. Sometimes a sheet of paper in the drop bag can help you remember what you need to take out upon leaving. Sometimes though when conditions are rough it's just prudent to take the time, sit down, clean and take care of the feet, clear out the cobwebs and get refreshed before heading back down the trail. My longer breaks obviously would be at the few drop locations I have. The rest of the aid stations I use my shorter race aid station strategy.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Watoni

I try to plan my aid station strategy for cycling, which mostly involves taking my own nutrition for as long as I can, planning clothing drops and lights as needed.

So, for Devil Mountain my plan is something like this:

1. Stop at the top of Diablo (mile 20): Refill water, drop light and any layers you do not need for the descent.

2. Morgan Territory (mile 50): Water, electrolytes, banana. Shed layers if not done so on Diablo

3. Mines Road (mile 91). Take whatever you can easily digest (coke, banana, endurolytes). Bring extra food and fill water soft flask if hot. You should almost be out of your maltodextrin bomb, so you need to transition to rest stop food.

4. Junction (mile 115). Eat some real food, take electrolytes and take some to go. Digest heading towards the backside of Mt. Hamilton.

5. Just before Sierra Road (mile 150): Salt, calories, electrolytes. If you are hurting here, take a few extra minutes to eat/digest. Sierra Road is a killer, and going in feeling weak is a recipe for disaster.

6. Sunol: (Mile 180). Last fuel top up. Take the few extra minutes to have some soup, chips, etc. At this point gels are likely not going down. The last 26 miles are harder in reality than on paper, and there are still almost 3000 feet to climb, although the climbs not steep .

I generally lose time later on (after stop 4) once I am past where my training has prepared me for. On the odd occasion i have kept it efficient for 200 miles. There are a few other water stops and check points, so I lost about an hour total. The best lose about 15 minutes, but they also have people handing them pre-filled bottles, etc.

Running? I was fairly quick on the 50ks and did not lose too much time if I could avoid the odd bear attack. 50 miles was tough once I was out of my own nutrition, but running with just a handheld feels better to me than a pack. I was going to practice running with a pack before I tweaked my ankle, but hopefully I will do so again soon.

If I can run the Marin Ultra Challenge 50-miler in late June I will run with a pack and try to mimic what i think will be my Leadville strategy.

Occasional Runner

I have a pretty detailed routine.

1. I develop a very detailed race plan that outlines my anticipated arrival time at each crew accessible aid station. This plan also outlines every item and action that will be taken during the stop. This list is provided to my crew and pacer at least a week prior to the event so they can get familiar with it and ask questions if they aren't clear about the instructions.

I'm usually very close to anticipated splits, but if I'm early or late, I give verbal instructions for how to adjust for the upcoming miles.

My crew carries the written race plan and makes notes as we go. They mark my actual times vs. anticipated times and make notes regarding any adjustments we make along the way. (I archive these notes for future reference).

2. I have a race bag that is fully stocked and organized with every conceivable item I may need in a race. Everything is compartmented and labeled for easy access. We keep a shower curtain in the race bag so we can have something clean to lay my items out on and if it rains, it's big enough to fold over the bag and keep everything dry. Otherwise, my items are all layer out and displayed.

3. I use multiple handheld bottles and pre-load them with Perpetuem. Each bottle is labeled with the appropriate aid station name and has the exact amount of Perpetuem pre-measured for the upcoming distance. I only add the powder and Jo adds water and mixes prior to my arrival. All we do is make a quick bottle exchange and I'm off (assuming I didn't need anything else).

4. I'm going to begin using TWO hydration packs so I don't have to wait to get mine filled. Jo will have it filled with Hammer Fizz mixed with water and whatever other items I call for in my race plan. I can roll in, exchange handhelds and hydration packs and haul ass.

That's about it I think.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It might look as if it was "winged", but I think most runners have given their aid station strategy some thought. Downfall is just, things happen during the run, and that changes e.g. nutrition and such.

I have a strategy, and I do try it out in training runs.

I try the refilling and the use of equipment (battery changes, for example) at home until I'm familiar with it.

In shorter races, I might carry a pack when I think the aid stations will be crowded, or where I suspect there are only self-serve water stations with gallon jugs (hard to handle when you're exhausted and shaky), or huge jugs (might be almost empty, so that refilling takes too long).

When I know I'll have to refill the pack, and there is a drop bag option, I usually have my drink pre-mixed, or at least the powder and any additives (electrolytes) pre-measured in an extra bottle in the drop bag, so that I can just refill and go. I'd like to just switch out bladders, but I don't have a second one. If there's no drop bag option, I carry ziplock bags with pre-measured powder with me, so that I can refill quickly at an aid station.

For perpetuem, I have pre-measured powder in bottles or ziplock bags at every dropbag station, and/or in my waist belt, whether I think I'll need it or not. I just switch out the bottle, top off with water, and go (headfirst down the ravine, if the stuff won't mix easily, so there's still some need to optimize, I guess...).

I have optimized the ziplock-bag option for powders, so that I just have to lift a scotch-tape tab and can funnel the powder into bottles without a spill, if needed.

I have chosen my handheld bottle so that I can refill it even with shaky or stiff (from cold) hands.

I keep pre-cut trashbags in every dropbag, just in case it starts to rain, and I will pack extra pairs of socks and shoes (even though I have never needed them).

I have most things in ziplock bags that are labeled and color-coded (different markers, or duct tape).

I only get caught up at an aid station if I'm nauseous or overheated and don't find anything to eat that looks appealing, or at least edible. I take just the time I need to update my supplies and equipment, and sometimes some rest which I would have needed anywhere along the trail anyway.

I have never needed to change clothes, so I don't know yet what to optimize there, but for my 100M, I will definitely try out the options beforehand (e.g. changing soaked shirts, how to stay warm in the middle of the night in rain, etc.).

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Sorry, but as an engineer I tend to plan things out ahead of time...  This was the layout for my last 50 miler, three 16.67 mile loops.  The stuff is layed out for the start and the re-supply at the start of the 2nd and 3rd loops.  Was in/out of my cooler and tupperware tub in no time at all. I skipped or just refilled bottles at the aid stations.

Now I just have to work on the slow running in between pit stops...  Shocked

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

You need to work on your brand loyalty Sandy. It looks like you were panhandling for gels before the race.

Sandy-2

LOL !!!  I like to mix it up I guess.  Actually I was doing this one as a sort of a training run so I was using a bunch of "leftovers".

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

LOL !!!  I like to mix it up I guess.  Actually I was doing this one as a sort of a training run so I was using a bunch of "leftovers".

Straggler gels...we all have them!

Ultra Cowboy

Mainly I make Eye contact with the person with the water pitcher and have my bottle top off, or Hydro pack open.

Gels or shot blox are in my pocket or pack.

Potatoes in one hand , PB&J in the other...Eat at a walk . I run withthe same race org fairly often so I know what to expect.

I've never had a Crew per se. But acting as one, We have a bottle change out ready, Socks and sunscreen,  every 20 miles or so,

One person takes care of nutrition while another deals with bandanas, Ice, water/sponge, and Bodyglide.

WYBMADIITY

Save

bubba hotep

I try to keep it simple.  I try to memorize the splits, so I know how much aid I will need to get to the next station.  I then try to stuff my pockets in the time it takes someone to fill by water bottle.  Then I am on my way.  This strategy has served me well and I have often finished ahead of people who were running faster than me simple b/c I spent less time in the aid station.

I'll have to rethink everything for Cactus Rose 100, since it is unsupported....

And then there was blog

Occasional Runner

I try to keep it simple.  I try to memorize the splits, so I know how much aid I will need to get to the next station.  I then try to stuff my pockets in the time it takes someone to fill by water bottle.  Then I am on my way.  This strategy has served me well and I have often finished ahead of people who were running faster than me simple b/c I spent less time in the aid station.

I'll have to rethink everything for Cactus Rose 100, since it is unsupported....

In 100 mile races, there's a distinction between fast runners and fast racers.

Uh oh... now what?

I was trying to think of how many ways I have used aid stations. It varies with what I had in mind on that particular day.

I have used a rolling aid station (Kathy in the car) three times. Twice for a fifty miler and once for a 100k. All three times we planned on a stop ever three miles. She is very very good at guessing what I need in the way of "things", e.g., I round the curve and there she is, holding up a dry shirt (it was cool and a bit of a breeze, dry was good). On two of those occasions (the fifty milers) I was on a time-trial sort of deal. I was checking my split coming in (the weirdness of age, in the first time I was trying for 22 minutes per 3 miles, in the second one I was looking for 36 minutes--time passes). There was a bottle exchange (one 22 ouncer on a belt). The food was liquid diet supplement of some sort, 250ish calories. We had fig newtons and chips if I wanted them. I pretty much ignored the aid stations.

The 100k was similar. Three-mile intervals. Pace was different. I was trying to sit on tens. Twice during the night I walked for a couple of minutes out of the aid stop--trying to calm down, slow down--usually walked about fifty yards out of each stop if I ate anything solid. This was a very conservatively run distance that turned from run to race at about 75k. The last several stops I was grabbing a hand bottle, taking a long drink, dropping it for her to pick up. She would stop as close as she could to three miles up the road. It was cool and I could handle three miles of empty hands so I could concentrate on increasing pace/effort. You need to be really aware of your energy/drink needs to go without anything. In this case it was an almost perfect formula for the distance.

----------------------------

Running at high effort, no time in mind, but racing with the top ten. I had a two-bottle fanny pack. Both bottles out as I enter the aid station, cast iron stomach means I can drink whatever electrolyte stuff they have. Electrolyte in one bottle, water in the other. Grab chips/potato chunks, maybe a newton... eat while bottles are being filled. Leave with mouth full, chewing, maybe take a cup to wash it down--no chewing while on the go. Eat, wash it down so you won't choke on it, get out. These are very short stops. You need to know what to eat before the race so you can minimize eating during the race. There were a couple of times when I had a half dozed glucose tablets in the fanny pack for the last thirty minutes of the race... never if just running.

-----------------------------

Running with nothing in particular in mind---grazing, put stuff in plastic bag to take with me, leave with half a sandwich in hand... probably a CamelBak day so I don't need to fill up at each station--carrying about 80 ounces in the bladder--will accept almost any mix--on hot days I might be adding Endurolytes or SUCCEED! or plain old salt tablets (ThermoTabs)--it is a problem to get in and out of the aid stations on these days. Often ran with someone. It was comfortable talking pace running, seldom pushing, but not down to mall-strolling stuff just yet.

---------------------------

Time events are great to play with food. I have done time events on a 400m track, a one-mile, 1.32-mile, and 5.375-mile loop. Each is different in how much you take in, how far apart--great places to experiment with the riddle of what will stay down or how fast can I run if I eat ... or, the best maybe... if I eat this, will it stay down and how long must I walk before I can run again.

I set up an 8-mile trail loop one day. Used the house as an aid point every loop. Ate different sandwiches, soups, pasta, and even a bowl of chili... all good stuff to know about.

Aid station strategy when pacing is quite a different perspective--

And other stuff.