Trailer Trash

Finally Fridaily!!! (Read 39 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Afternoon all,

Ended up cutting yesterdays run short because I felt like crap...I think it was the Burger King I ate before I went out.  Today I'm in for about 4 and some striders just to get the legs ready for tomorrow's 5k (i already confessed it).

QOTD: Never tried them.  Can't say I have an opinion one way or the other.

**Ask me about streaking**

Ultra Cowboy

I took 7 days off from running to go on a horseback trail ride.  First run back was a 7 mile trail run last night and it kicked my ass.  I cut it short and made it a 5 miler. Miserable.  I really lost my MOJO.  Now I have to get it together for a 16 miler Sunday.

WYBMADIITY

Save

XtremeTaper

I might mix some jogging intervals into a 3-4 mile dogwalk tonight. Oh who am I kidding... of course I will mix in some jogging intervals.

QOTD: Someone started Laurel Highlands this week with trekking poles. Seriously. It's not a pushover course but trekking poles? They poked me in the foot during the opening mile. Grrr. Thankfully I lost them on the first climb. I guess they weren't that helpful to that particular person. As with anything, I guess the RD should set the standard based on the topography and terrain. For most races I've done, I'd say no.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Busy, busy in the forum, but I'm also late today. Good Afternoon!

MIA and no runs the last two days. I had had such high expectations of getting in a pretty good B2B in those two days off work, but then...

My youngest son secretly took one of DH's pills, out of curiosity or by mistake, and they had a bad effect on him, we had to bring him to the ER, and he was admitted to the hospital until noon the following day. Luckily, he made it through without any damage, but it was hard to see him suffer so much. So running was pretty much the least of my worries during those days.

I might do some miles in the evening today, though.

sugnim: Congratulations! Boys are awesome and always good for not letting life become routine!

QOTD: I have used them a few times while hiking in the mountains in Austria and Germany, and found them helpful on very steep inclines with loose, sharp gravel. For running, they seem a bit bothersome, though, I don't like running and carrying a lot of equipment around with me. Banning them in races is ok with me (I've gotten speared once), except for some tougher races like Hardrock, where you can assume that people know how to use them, and the field is spaced out enough to avoid injury.

Run for fun.

jonferg67

Endless trails

FTYC: I was wondering where you were. 

Sorry to hear about your curious son, good to hear that he's okay. We have two boys

(grown-ups older now), so we remember the trauma they put us through.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

5 road (-1) miles with the dog (+1) in the rain (+1) this morning.

QOTD:  I think trekking poles are dorky.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nothing...running 23 in Tahoe tomorrow so just chilling, need to get the house in ordeer.

Northern: She graduating then heading off to MOab with Dad!  Bummer she going to miss all the parties.  Wink

Sugnim:  Congrats on the little boy a coming.

TT:  Hope the pup gets better.  My dog is pretty depressed since our black lab died.  So looks like we are going to look for another lab.

Couch:  Glad your son is okey.  Can I make a joke now?  Did it last more than 4 hours?  Evil

QOTD:  I have never been in a race where someone used them as far as I know.  My longest race was 50K.  I really don't care one way or the other.  I think they should allow dogs.

BTW:  I have never had cheese curds but they sound good.  i heard they are saltly.  I love salt.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TT:  Hope the pup gets better.  My dog is pretty depressed since our black lab died.  So looks like we are going to look for another lab.

Sorry to hear about your lab.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Daydreamer1

Went out for 10 miles this afternoon. It was in the mid 70s with a breeze a low humidity. Had a little miniature Schnauzer run out and snap at my heels. I hate little yappy  dogs. I wouldn't have minded if a car would have hit it. A little later I had a black lab come out to watch me and give a few running tips. I rarely have problems with the big guys as I can make friends with them but the little ones are typically idiots that just need to be stepped on.

QOTD: Every race I've done someone is using trekking poles. I've had no close encounters with them. On the other hand I have been pushed off the trail and stomped on by people trying to pass where they shouldn't have. I've used them twice, both when I was injured. Most of the people that I see using them are either slow, older or have a injury. When I'm healthy and not using them I'm way in front of those that are using them so it's not been a big problem for me. They do help and I don't have  a problem with someone using them. As always it comes down to common sense, and too many people don't know how to apply that which causes the problems.

As far as allowing dogs goes, I would probably not run a race if they allowed dogs. I can see that descending into chaos pretty quickly. Nothing against dogs, but they are animals and even the best behaved ones will get out of line if there's a lot of excitement. The last race I did there were three dogs at one of the aid stations. I was going to try to pet them as they seemed friendly but decided not to so I wouldn't get them stirred up. Shortly after I left another runner did start petting them and ended up getting bit when one of the dogs got jealous.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

As far as allowing dogs goes, I would probably not run a race if they allowed dogs. 

That was kind of a joke since a lot of people mentioned running with dogs. I don't think dogs should be in races.   I was at a hot as hell 50K and this poor guy (65ish) came in after running and the people manning the finish line had a dog, it jumped out and bit the guy!!!   I think it was his white knee highs but the poor guy was so tired and then to be bit!!!

TT:  Thanks, she was an old girl and it was her time but we miss her.  She would follow you from room to room to be wherever you were.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

That was kind of a joke since a lot of people mentioned running with dogs. I don't think dogs should be in races.   I was at a hot as hell 50K and this poor guy (65ish) came in after running and the people manning the finish line had a dog, it jumped out and bit the guy!!!   I think it was his white knee highs but the poor guy was so tired and then to be bit!!!

TT:  Thanks, she was an old girl and it was her time but we miss her.  She would follow you from room to room to be wherever you were.

Oh, Ok. Not trying to call you out or anything just stating my observations and opinions. And the lady getting bit was fresh in my mind.

I really do like dogs and will go out of my way to make friends with one if they chase me. My last one died in 2005 and I still miss him. He loved to go with me for my runs and walks. I think he really enjoyed getting to pee on all the neighbors dog's territories Big grin. I just live too hectic of a lifestyle to get another one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training this morning, after a couple of sets I decided to load up the bench a little for the heck of it- unfortunately that exercise  just ended up bruising my ego Smile

qotd: I wouldn't want them in a race around me, I use them all the time for hiking (they even form part of my shelter) and would consider using them for certain conditions running in the mountains (I have a pair of BD z poles which fold/unfold w/ a snap), but not for a race

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Today I did the first 20 mile "b" of my b2b.  It was a brutal run.  When I started at 4:35am it was about 78 deg and very humid.  Tomorrow I'll do the second "b", of course the conditions will be the same.  Just brutal, errrr  I mean ...  I love the weather down here.

By the way I had previously told the gang at work that I was going to be late this morning because I was doing a long run.  I think I may have to amend my qotd "passion number" from a few days ago upward a little bit ....

Sugnim: Congrats !!!

FTYC: Glad to hear everything is ok.

qotd:  I haven't tried poles, but have thought a little bit about them for the mountain 100s.  Maybe when I pace my buddy next month at Hardrock I'll give them a try on my training run the day before.  I agree that they should not be used when it is crowded, I haven't been stabbed, but have had a few "close calls".

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL