Trailer Trash

Veterans Day 2013 (Read 38 times)

Uh oh... now what?

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918 the fighting in "The Great War" ceased. The official end of the war would not be until June 28, 1919 with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, but to most it is the date, November 11, 1918, that is considered the end of "the war to end all wars."

In many countries the 11th of November became, and remains, a day to honor those who had died during the war. In those years following World War I the day of commemoration was known as "Armistice Day."

In the U.S. as our armed forces involved in World War II and the Korean Conflict outnumbered those engaged in World War I, Armistice Day was renamed "Veterans Day" and it honored all who had served, not just the veterans of World War I.

Veterans Day is observed on November 11th--there was a brief period (1971-1977) when Veterans Day was moved to late October. Fortunately, it appears Independence Day and Veterans Day stir enough historical pride and patriotic fervor that they are not to be moved to create artificial three-day weekend holidays. Veterans Day was returned to its original date, the eleventh day of the eleventh month, as it should be--a day to honor the fallen and all others who served.

-----
    Recently as my wife and I cleaned this and that we came across a box of old photographs, some showed men and a woman of various ages wearing a variety of uniforms. We found:

A father in his Seabees (U.S.Navy) uniform, (I never heard him say "Navy")
    A father in his U.S.Army uniform,
    An uncle in his U.S.Navy...,
    Me in my U.S.Army.... (apparently I was once young with dark hair),
    A son in his U.S.Army...,
    A son in his U.S.Navy...,
    A daughter in her U.S.Air Force...,
    A grandson in his U.S.Army...,
    A grandson in his U.S.M.C....,

Thank you to all who have served or are serving still.

moonlightrunner

Thanks for that John. Thanks for your service and that of your family. My son is serving now over in Afghanistan. He is proud to be serving, and we are looking forward to his return early next year.

There is a story on Fox news on line about a High School class that has raised money to build a house for an injured Iraq vet. Their determined effort is amazing. It makes me want to do something for a veteran...something lasting.

Thanks to all Vets out there.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

Thank you, John.

LB2

muppy

Thank You John, and to all those that have served!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thank you.

This reminds me of my grandfather who survived being shot off a bridge in WWII and lived a long life.

Thank you to all veterans.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Thanks John.

Also thanks to all those Veterans out there.

tbd.

LB2

It makes me want to do something for a veteran...something lasting.

Just drop a check in the mail. I'll send you my address... LOL

LB2

Watoni

Thank you, John.

Well said.