Trailer Trash

Wisconsin Temperature Conversion Chart [NRC VAAH] (Read 230 times)

Uh oh... now what?

I found one of the temperature guides... not great, but gives the idea.

70 degrees Texans turn on the heat and unpack thermal underwear.  People in Wisconsin swim in the Rivers.

60 degrees North Carolinians try to turn on the heat. People in Madison plant gardens.

50 above New Yorkers try to turn on the heat. Wisconsin people plant gardens.

40 above Californians shiver uncontrollably. Wisconsin people sunbathe.

35 above Italian cars won't start. Wisconsin people drive with the windows down.

32 above Distilled water freezes. Wisconsin Lakes water gets thicker.

20 above Floridians wear coats, gloves and woolly hats. Wisconsin people throw on a t-shirt.

15 above Californians begin to evacuate the state. Wisconsin people go swimming.

Zero New York landlords finally turn up the heat. Wisconsin people have the last cook-out before it gets cold.

10 below People in Miami cease to exist. Wisconsin people lick the flagpole.

20 below Californians fly away to Mexico. Wisconsin people throw on a light jacket.

40 below Hollywood disintegrates. Wisconsin people rent some videos.

60 below Mt. St. Helens freezes. Wisconsin Girl Scouts sell cookies door to door.

80 below Polar bears begin to evacuate the arctic. Wisconsin Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

100 below Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Wisconsin people pull down their earflaps.

173 below Ethyl alcohol freezes. Wisconsin people get frustrated when they can't start the pick-up.

297 below Microbial life survives on dairy products. Wisconsin cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

460 below ALL atomic motion stops. Wisconsin people start saying...."Cold 'nuff fer ya?"

500 below Hell freezes over. The Wisconsin Badgers minus the coach that just left for Arkansas win the Rose Bowl.

Ha! Must mean a very different part of New York than the Adirondacks, though... 

DoppleBock

Nice

Some truth to what you post

I was running in the desert near San Diego a few years ago in my shorts - short sleeve T, no gloves and everyone I saw had a full winter coat with hoods up ... WTF it was only in the mid 40s with no wind and it was a dry heat at that.

Plus when I was younger we started wakeboarding on the river (Wolf near Freemont) in April with water usually in upper 30s to low 40s.

Go Badgers!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trail Dog

500 below Hell freezes over. The Wisconsin Badgers minus the coach that just left for Arkansas win the Rose Bowl.

Bravo!

Trail Dog

I was running in the desert near San Diego a few years ago in my shorts - short sleeve T, no gloves and everyone I saw had a full winter coat with hoods up ... WTF it was only in the mid 40s with no wind and it was a dry heat at that.

Interesting observation since I moved to Chicago from Atlanta: at races and on training runs, I often find I am the least dressed of everybody. Maybe I have a better tolerance for cold (I do get really hot when I run...) but I was very surprised by the number of extremely overdressed people I see running around here (think long pants and jackets for 40-50 degrees).

DoppleBock

Chicago is a city full of people that are not from Chicago originally

Come to central to northern WI and you will find mostly people born and raised here that are not smart enough to leave

Interesting observation since I moved to Chicago from Atlanta: at races and on training runs, I often find I am the least dressed of everybody. Maybe I have a better tolerance for cold (I do get really hot when I run...) but I was very surprised by the number of extremely overdressed people I see running around here (think long pants and jackets for 40-50 degrees).

I was surprised to see the same thing here in Finland. Jackets and gloves in the 40s--even wind pants. I figured it might be that they respect the cold so much that they bundle up at the first sign of it. And yet people are still swimming in below-0F air temperatures...

NorthernHarrier

Actually they now have a chance to win a big game. Smile

Funny stuff.

Trail Dog

Come to central to northern WI and you will find mostly people born and raised here that are not smart enough to leave

My boyfriend lived in Wisconsin almost his entirely life - we visit frequently, and I love it. IMO, WI is one of the most underrated states in the great US of A.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

So true!

My best friend grew up in Wisconsin, and she always stuns me by wearing shorts all throughout the PA winter!

Run for fun.

runner1304

I admire people who can withstand cold like. I cannot. I'm always cold in the winter and so I layer like crazy. Maybe its my CA blood, but I'm such a cold wimp.

03/23/13: Clinton Lake 10 miler

04/07/13: Chicago's Shamrock Shuffle 8k

05/11/13: DWD Gnaw Bone 50k

DoppleBock

So it was 28F 6-8MPH breeze and sunny at lunch.

shorts - Long sleeve cotton T-shirt and light gloves

THis was perfect for 45-60 minutes

But it got me thinking - It would not have been perfect for 3 hour run or even if I was not in the sun.

jonferg67

Endless trails

40 above Californians shiver uncontrollably. Wisconsin people sunbathe.

Good one, John. Being a native New Englander I managed to leave CA before I completely turned into a 

wuss. 

So it was 28F 6-8MPH breeze and sunny at lunch.

shorts - Long sleeve cotton T-shirt and light gloves

THis was perfect for 45-60 minutes

But it got me thinking - It would not have been perfect for 3 hour run or even if I was not in the sun.

Wait a sec...didn't you say -28F in the dailies? I'm guessing it really was +28. If you wore the shorts at -28 that would be seriously badass, though.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My boyfriend lived in Wisconsin almost his entirely life - we visit frequently, and I love it. IMO, WI is one of the most underrated states in the great US of A.

You should move here!  Smile 

And I can attest that a lot of this is true. 

27 degrees yesterday morning at 9am.  Going hiking.  Should I wear shorts or pants?  Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.  (I ended up wearing pants, and was glad that I did!)

Running is dumb.