Trailer Trash

Another book (Read 50 times)

Uh oh... now what?

The Last Empty Places : A Past and Present Journey Through the Blank

Spots on the American Map, Peter Stark, Ballantine Books, 978-0-345-49537-2

A visit to Northern Maine, Western Pennsylvania, Southeasterly Oregon, and the

high desert of Central New Mexico -- as diverse a trip as a person could seek.

The book jumped out at me because we have been in three of the regions, all but

Western Pennsylvania.

These places where you can, if desired, not see anyone for a while, maybe longer.

We found quiet and many of the same attractions the author did.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I might have to pick this up just out of curiosity.  I live in (south)Western PA and wouldn't mark too much around here as a "blank" spot on the American map.....if there are truly blank spots....I surely want to know about them.  Smile

Uh oh... now what?

Starting search words...

Sproul State Forest, Buffalo Swamp, Emporium, Tamarack, Renovo, "Great Shamokin Path"... 

Up along the headwaters of the West Branch Susquehanna River

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Starting search words...

Sproul State Forest, Buffalo Swamp, Emporium, Tamarack, Renovo, "Great Shamokin Path"... 

Up along the headwaters of the West Branch Susquehanna River

Gotcha....generally that is considered north-central PA.   There is also the Allegheny National forest that is NorthCentral and NorthWest PA.  I have done quite a bit of hiking/camping/ hunting/fishing in the ANF......and spent just a small amount of time in the West Branch area....although I do make an annual camping pilgrimage to the PA Grand Canyon in that area every year.

thanks for sharing!

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I thought this was the last empty place ? although I do agree SE Oregon is pretty empty too

Ultra Cowboy

That OIN country (Oregon Idaho, Nevada corner)  is almost magical.  You don't realize all the folks out in the Sagebrush Sea until you arrive in Jordan Valley in May during the Big Loop Rodeo....

WYBMADIITY

Save

Uh oh... now what?

I thought this was the last empty place ? although I do agree SE Oregon is pretty empty too

Rush hour on the drive east from Tonopah (US 6) to Nevada 375 to US 93 to Caliente?