Trailer Trash

Wednesday (Read 30 times)

LB2

I'll get something after work, probably 6 or 8.

QOTD: When you race, what are you racing for?

I generally race against what my plan is. By that I mean, I generally have an idea of what I should be able to do in a given race, and I try to beat that. I don't generally care about trying to beat the other people running. Although, it seems like when I look at past results from previous races all the slow people were there the year before.

QOTD 2: Do you like races that have multiple distances on the same course at the same time?

NO. I don't care for that at all, especially when they end up with claim jumpers in the race. Sometimes, I will shoot for a certain placement in the race, top 20, top 15, top 10, etc. For example, I ran a 100K race where I was shooting for a top 10 (not that I am really a top 10 runner...). But in this race, I felt like I could do it. I was the 8th 100K runner to cross the line, but I ended up 12th because some 100 mile DNF's stopped at 100K. They were running a different loop sequence, so my count was totally off when I saw the leaders coming back my way on the out and back. I like races with one distance on the course on a given day. If you don't make it, you get a DNF. I certainly don't want to drop from a 100 miler and take a spot from someone who was focused on running the 100K based on his/her understanding who they were racing. Ok. Rant over.

LB2

Wandering Wally

6.2 in the dark this morning.

QOTD1 - I go to races for fun.  It's fun to hang out with other like minded people for a little while.

QOTD2 - No opinion.  I enter races at the distance I want to run.  I don't give much thought to any other distance classes that might be out there at the same time.  I just try to remember to follow the right color flags and it's all good.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

sugnim

I'm still working on the running-baby balance.  I got out my pedals that I keep under my desk at work in order to get some measure of cardio in, but it really isn't the same.  On the plus side, our son really & truly is a lot of fun.

QOTD:  For fun.  Always.  Sure, I have performance goals for myself, but the number 1 reason that I sign up for a race is to have fun.

QOTD:  I generally don't like this, but for silly reasons.  Such as:  I don't like when all the stew, beer, oranges, and chocolate have been eaten by those who completed the shorter race before the longer-distance runners are finished.

Occasional Runner

Just got back from a fun trail run with my bride. I love that my trailhead is on my street. I;m sure I run a lot more as a result. We probably did 6 or so.

QOTD1: I always race against my plan but my plan may vary. I may be shooting for a certain finish time or a podium spot. Even when I'm using it as a training run, I still have a race plan and a time to beat.

QOTD2: It depends on the number of people and the course conditions. I also prefer the bibs to delineate the different races.

Hi all,

Will go for 6 easy after work. I've noticed my "easy" runs are getting faster these days since my asthma is not acting up anymore.

QOTD: I race for all different reasons. Mostly, for fun. Sometimes for a PR. Sometimes for the physical challenge, just to see how far I can push myself. Sometimes just to run on new trails.

QOTD2: I don't mind it. The Delaware Triple Crown race does this and it's a blast since they are running different courses. BUT they have different colored bibs so there's not much confusion on if you're going the wrong way. I DID mind this at the Vermont 50 because it was mountain bikers and runners, and jumping off the course every 3 minutes for a biker was not so much fun.

Gator eye

6 miles @ o'dark thirty this morning. Dog tried to catch a raccoon, by the time all the growling and slobbering was over I think the coon caught the dog.

QOTD 1: I set races as goals, it gives me just a little more push to get out the door early in the morning when it's below freezing or rainy.

QOTD 2; I really have no problems with multiple distances on the same course, I can see how it gets more people there on race day. But anytime I have ran a race with multiple distances on the same course by the time I got to the aid station they were out of almost everything but water.

AT-runner

Tim

Lunch run of some sort today.

I heard the US government changed its Official Symbol to "The Condom"

A condom allows for inflation,

halts  production,

destroys the next generation,

protects a bunch of  dicks,

and gives you a sense of  security

while you're actually being screwed  !

QOTD:  I always have an "A", "B" and "C" plan.  I push for the "A" but adjust on the fly how the day is going.

QOTD 2:  Agree if they have different bibs, it's OK.  I ran a 24 hour event that had a 6 and 12 hour that stated at the same time.  We had no idea who was stupid enough to run with us for 24 hours until the 13th hour and the filed was cut by 60%.  The varied paces being run was a bit annoying, so I just had to keep to my plan.  As it turned out, one of the speedy guys was running the 24 hour (not the 12 like I thought based on his pace) and ran 128 miles.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Marley and I had a wet rainy 5 mile trail run this morning.  It was about 50F and raining hard for most of the run.  I actually like that kind of weather, but tend to go shorter in it.

QOTD: Mostly for fun when I did races, but also to have a goal.  I pretty much stopped racing when I figured out that I didn't really need a goal other than enjoying the trail.

QOTD: I really have no opinion on that.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out the door on a long run. I have a 13.1 miler planned. One of my co-workers is a road runner and does a few half marathons a year. He wanted to know what pace I normally run on my halfs. Of course it's apples to oranges because all of mine are on the trails, so today I'll do one just on the road. So I don't get banished from here I'm going to include several miles of dirt roads Clown.

QOTD: Races are goals to keep me motivated. I want to do well, both against myself and I like to place at least mid pack for my age group. As I look at doing longer races the goal is to finish under any cutoff time.

QOTD: Not sure how I feel about these. On one hand it's nice if it helps the RD have enough runners to put on a nice event. On the other hand I understand the frustration of being bumped by somebody you didn't know you were racing against. I had that happen to me several years ago in a bicycle race. For some reason the RD decided to move the races in the tandem category to the single category and bumped me back a spot or two.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Out early for 6ish miles.

AT - funny stuff...

QOTD 1: I participate in races because it allows me to do trails I don't normally do, comiserate with others, and gives me something to look forward to.  My overall goal is to finish and have fun.  But I normally have a plan A and B and sometimes a plan C.

QOTD: I don't mind it.  Being able to differentiate is nice but not necessary.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

Got in a 3.5 mile "jog"

Sungim, sounds like your baby is a bundle of joy!

QOTD1 I race to have fun and beat my own goals!

QOTD2 I don't usually mind, unless it's some walkers or like trails and cocktails said about the mountain bikes at Vermont, that would piss me off!

LB2

On one hand it's nice if it helps the RD have enough runners to put on a nice event. 

That is a good point. I agree.

LB2

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

10.6, mostly in the dark.

QOTD:  I race against my A B C goals, and against my course record.  And against whoever is within sight distance for the last few miles.

QOTD2: Multi distancees are OK, as long as they don't eat all the food and drink all the water.  I like encouraging the slower runners on shorter distances, and being inspired by(or cursing the speed of) the faster higher mileage racers.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Chnaiur

Did five miles at decent pace in the estuary. It was warm enough for a shirt-free run, and it was the first time in two months that everything felt right. A very good day for me.

QOTD: It has been a while, but I used to try to finish within the winner's time + my age in %. So now it would be winner + 39%. Doesn't really make sense since the level of runners is so different between races, but it worked in that it satisfied my competitive spirit.

If it is the second time on a course, I prefer to try to beat my own time. That's even more motivating to me.

Sometimes I like to have a mini-race with the person in front of me. Mixing distances on the same course messes with that, so I don't like it.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

5 miles this evening, with ~6" of snow I won't be setting any PR's on any of my trails in the near future Big grin

qotd1: I set goals for myself- usually one lofty one, another more realistic and one if all hell breaks loose- funny how that third one pops up so often Smile

qotd2: if the participants are staggered and don't bump into each other- no probleemo; I've been in a couple of races where you're consistently bumping into other runners from a different distance- not so fun

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √