Trailer Trash

How cold is TOO cold for your canine running partner? (Read 33 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I know dogs can handle colder temperatures better than we can, but don't they need to acclimate to temperature differences just about like we do? Tomorrow morning is going to be Rocky's first 10-11 miler and I was going to do it around 6 a.m as the sun was coming up and this morning the forecast said 20 degrees and I thought no biggie even for Rocky. Well I just checked the forecast and it will be 15 degrees at 6 in the morning with a windchill of 4 degrees Shocked. Now I will be dressed properly for it  but Rocky isn't used to that kind of temperature, especially going from 30 degrees to a sudden 15 degrees.

How cold is too cold even for your dog? I am not yet sure what is too cold for Rocky, though I don't think he can handle what Molly could - Molly was a Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix and LOVED the cold temperatures. Rocky is a Cattle Dog/Lab mix and I don't think he is quite as tough and robust as Molly, he loved it when it was 30 degrees and was racing along but I don't know if he would do too well in 14 degrees or less. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

moonlightrunner

Isn't Rocky a German Shorthair? I used to own gsps and ran with them in winter and they were pretty durable in the cold. However. in that cold I don't think I would take them out for more than an hour or hour and a half. My English Pointer is less cold hardy and I will not be taking her out on my run tomorrow when it is going to be around 15 degrees.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

He's a Cattle Dog / Lab mix, I'd like my next dog someday to be a GSP........

His coat isn't quite as thick and tough like a Siberian Husky or German Shepherd (like Molly's was) but it's a lot thicker and tougher than a GSP fur coat.

Here is Molly back in March of 2012

Isn't Rocky a German Shorthair? I used to own gsps and ran with them in winter and they were pretty durable in the cold. However. in that cold I don't think I would take them out for more than an hour or hour and a half. My English Pointer is less cold hardy and I will not be taking her out on my run tomorrow when it is going to be around 15 degrees.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This is the two of them together back in March of 2012, 9 months before Molly passed away Cry

PRs

sugnim

Our dog (mutt) loves the cold and the snow.  We bought her a bright orange reflective jacket, but she pants like it is a 100 degree day if we put her in it.  She went out for a run this morning with my better half when it was 11 degrees.  She got a little frost on her coat, but she was happy.  To contrast, our last dog (also a mutt) would shiver and chatter his teeth if it was below 60 degrees, and he had to sleep in a down vest in the winter time.  So, I think it really depends on your dog, its coat, and how it responds to different weather.  Just make sure your dog is well-hydrated, and pay attention to watch for signs of being too cold such as chattering teeth, lethargy, or changes in personality.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome, can I ask what fur type your mutt that loves the cold and snow has? Just out of curiosity Smile

Our dog (mutt) loves the cold and the snow.  We bought her a bright orange reflective jacket, but she pants like it is a 100 degree day if we put her in it.  She went out for a run this morning with my better half when it was 11 degrees.  She got a little frost on her coat, but she was happy.  To contrast, our last dog (also a mutt) would shiver and chatter his teeth if it was below 60 degrees, and he had to sleep in a down vest in the winter time.  So, I think it really depends on your dog, its coat, and how it responds to different weather.  Just make sure your dog is well-hydrated, and pay attention to watch for signs of being too cold such as chattering teeth, lethargy, or changes in personality.

PRs

Latent Runner

I don't have a dog to run with, but I have, upon occasion, taken one of the horses out of the stable downstairs, and run until I was about to collapse, and then hopped on and rode back.  Since the horses spend the day out in the pasture year-round I don't think they have a temperature which is "too cold" for them to be my running partner.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

If you're not sure how Rocky will do, maybe try a loop route for his first experience, so there's an escape route - or even out/back a couple times.

That said, think about Iditarod sled dogs who are well trained.They live outside, and they run long distances outside - sometimes down to -40F. They usually have more challenges with the warmer temperatures near freezing. BUT they are trained for it.

Modern racing sled dogs seem to be a bit thinner and lighter coats than the old sled dogs that hauled freight. Mushers frequently have coats and booties for their dogs. Booties have been around for a long time, but I think I'm seeing more and more coats on dogs each year - could be colder temperatures or thinner coats.

This is to point out that it's not usually an inherent limitation in dogs as to what they can handle, but how well they're trained and adapted to temperatures as well as how well their human takes care of them.

(not a dog owner, but a dog lover - at least of well behaved dogs)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I know dogs, even the northern breeds, that live outside more than inside have a much tougher coat than the dogs of the same breed that live mainly inside. Or at least they are so used to it. Our route that we've been running for 2 months now is about a 3 mile loop (with adjacent trails all through the woods), I'll do that one first and see how he does. Last night we walked to the barn and he loved it, I think it was like 20 degrees at that point and he was racing around excitedly. I just want to make sure it's not like a "slap to the face" difference for him.

PRs

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Mine seems fine to go no matter how cold  . He is a ACD ( Australian Cattle Dog ) and has a double coat . I do have to watch his feet in the winter,  the snow can rub pads on paws bloody . He doesn't do well at about 80 degrees so this time of year we make up for all the time he didn't get to go in the summer .

Mine seems fine to go no matter how cold  . He is a ACD ( Australian Cattle Dog ) and has a double coat . I do have to watch his feet in the winter,  the snow can rub pads on paws bloody . He doesn't do well at about 80 degrees so this time of year we make up for all the time he didn't get to go in the summer .

This is what the booties are for. Some pictures and sources.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It appears Rocky loves the cold temperatures, 11 miles this morning is his furthest yet and he still had gas in the tank and was really enjoying the 20 degree feel.

PRs

It appears Rocky loves the cold temperatures, 11 miles this morning is his furthest yet and he still had gas in the tank and was really enjoying the 20 degree feel.

Great! In fact, I'm betting 20F is more comfortable for him than temperatures above freezing- at least as long as moving. Enjoy!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, I'll just remember to keep an eye on his paw pads after each run when the ground is harder than usual. I swear we could have made it to 20 miles this morning, the way the two of us were feeling Smile

PRs

sugnim

Awesome, can I ask what fur type your mutt that loves the cold and snow has? Just out of curiosity Smile

Her fur is about the length & thickness of a Labrador.   She is about 80 pounds, and has a trim waist & huge barrel chest.  She seems to be perfect for running in the snow.