Trailer Trash

This is Thursday (Read 35 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Good morning trailers!

I ended up running a little over 7 around the neighborhood yesterday.  It was awful.  Traffic is all screwed up due to a water main break on a heavily travelled road, which sent everyone onto the back streets (which are usually nice and calm).  I stopped counting the # of times I almost got hit...at least 5X.  Once I was about 2 steps away from being a hood ornament.  Also I ended up in a yelling match with some jerk who parked his contractor's truck all the way over the sidewalk...not usually a big deal but the property hasn't mowed the lawn yet so I had to wade through waist high grass.  Street parking is legal and there were plenty of spots.  OK that's my non-trail running vent.  I am in need of some trail therapy...maybe tomorrow.

QOTD: What's the worst car you ever owned/drove?

I had a teal '93 Honda Civic hatchback in college.  The cooling fan didn't work on it so it was prone to overheating and using the A/C was not an option.  It was making a clunking noise in the suspension and when I got it on a lift we found out that there was only 1 of 3 bolts holding the control arm in place...the last bolt was stripped and had almost pulled out.  The home repair on that involved a welder and was not really a legitimate fix.  I ended up selling it for $300.

**Ask me about streaking**

No running the last few days because I was backpacking in the Adirondacks with my daughter and son in law.  Who would have thought there would be 38" of snow on top of Mount Marcy in late May?  Additionally the snow line was pretty low.  It was a soupy slushy slog, with feet in slush or ice water all day.  On top of that we used a trail that turned out to have hundreds of blow downs for a portion of the hike.  We wound up turning back without reaching the summit due to running out of time.

QOTD: I have driven a long line of beaters, but perhaps the worst was a GEO Metro and it wasn't even a beater yet.  It could have been best described as a turd.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

Slogged, and I mean slogged, thru about 5 miles this morning.  At 5am it was 79 deg, and freaking humid.  I saw a few other runners today we all just grunted "hello", nobody was happy.  Except the big hairy spider that was hitching a ride on my shorts (the thing blew it when it crawled up to my stomach), just brushed 'em off though.

qotd:  The worst one was a Chevy Nova (I think about a '73).  It was a little bit "sported up", well sort of anyway, had nice rims and tires.  Anyway I think it was a bit "old and tired" when I bought it and never did run that well.  I was living in Brooklyn at the time and I didn't mind parking it on the street though.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

So I ditched yoga 2 nights in a row, but tonight I have my first Ultimate Frisbee game of the year. I'm hoping 3 full days off will have helped my legs regain some strength, cause I will need it tonight. Also, it's going to be 90 and humid, so it should be an interesting evening.

QOTD: I've only had one car, and it has been the best and the worst Wink A 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse, which I got for my 16th birthday (a dream car for a 16 year old, but a nightmare for a 25 year old.) Loved it for the first 5 years, and hated it for the last 5. It's gotten almost undriveable lately, since it tends to overheat every time I drive it. Forget about driving it in 90 degree weather. I'm going to try and sell it this summer, it only has 65,000 miles on it.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all!  yesterday's quote

Hill repeats this afternoon- most likely in the rain 

I almost made it w/o a drop, about a mile to go the clouds just unloaded- looked like a drowned rat when I was done Big grin

supposed to rain all day today, so going to do a combo of dreadmill and stairs- a mile on each, repeat for 6 miles

qotd: I've been fortunate with vehicles (knock on wood), but I did have one Subaru GL (circa late 70's) that gave me a lot of trouble- stranded w/ a broken timing chain in the dead of winter, numerous suspension problems- certainly not due to me trying to go places where only trucks should be going Big grin and eventually a blown engine

I've since owned four Subarus and all have been pretty solid vehicles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Good Morning!

Got 5 early hill miles in today, a little fatigued from Tuesday. Getting ready for H3 weather (hazy, hot, humid).

QOTD: 1999 Hyundai Elantra- made it 102,000 miles and engine blew just as the warranty expired.

Low_O2

Morning all!

Got in a double yesterday afternoon. First a 4 mile, 1000ft gain hike with DS in the pack(~30lbs pack weight). Even saw one of those vicious black bears cross the road right near the trail head. Second bear sighting of the year.

Then a quick 4 miler around the hood at dark. Felt pretty sluggish since I hadn't eaten dinner yet. Have 6 planned for tonight

QOTD: I'm not sure I can even answer this since I've been lucky enough to like all my vehicles so far. But I suppose my "worst" was my first, a 91' Toyota 4X4 pickup. Only complaint was it was a bit gutless, but I wouldn't complain much if I had to give up my current ride for my first.

Hope everyone has a great day!

jonferg67

Endless trails

I decided to back off the 6 days of running and 1 day rest to a more reasonable 5 days

and 2 days rest, had some lingering soreness. An easy 5-6 planned for today, supposed

to be 80*.

QOTD: I owned an old Subaru Outback for a while, it was a clunker.

AT-runner

Tim

Morning to all.  Hot and humid here today.  Got in 4 easy trail miles.  Legs feel pretty good, left foot still a bit sore but recovering.

QOTD:  1978 Ford Pinto.  It was orange and looked like a pumpkin.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Rest today.  PT appt this morning.  I think I may be winding the PT appts down.  Not sure I am ready to get the mileage up or not but I will need to play it by feel.  Maybe a LR this weekend.

Daydreamer - you running Rothrock this Sat? Take it easy (due to your ankle and the heat).  But good luck if you run it.

QOTD: My dad was into Plymouth Reliants back in the day.  My first three vehicles were all hand me down Reliants.  The first had 160,000+ miles on it.  I had to keep my foot on the gas at all times so it wouldn't stall.  Next one wasn't much better.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

dpc3

Got in a nice relaxing 5.5 with DW. Legs feel great after a tough weekend in northern NM.

QOTD: I shared an old school '85 Toyota corolla

Snowdenrun

Morning

QOTD: In Sitka so many cars so just lucky to still be operating. They are called Sitka Beaters. Generally more rust than not and very few working parts. When I moved here I came on my two feet. When I got tired of walking in the rain I bought a bike. When I got tired of riding in the rain I bought a Sitka Beater. 2 door Hyundai Accent. Basic model, but everything was missing, just holes in panels. No heat/AC/vent fan. Windows didn't work, had shims to hold them up. Shock struts were worthless. No parking brake, no rear brakes. Terrible tires. Gas vent clogged so it took 15 minutes to fill up a 10 gallon tank. Horrible clutch, knocky engine. This is just the beginning of the list. I sold it for 300 bucks and moved on to something a bit nicer.

Another gorgeous day. Low, dark clouds and rain for our boat outing yesterday. But we saw tons of eagles, otters, and even a whale so close we were a bit worried it would catch our anchor line. Today I'll be back on the wonderful trails.

Chnaiur

Something very rare happened: my schedule changed for the better! I'm able to do my long run tomorrow, which means today will be high-intensity cardio crosstraining.

QOTD: Volvo V40. Bought it with 5000 miles on it, and it was a total lemon. An electrical issue in the wiring behind the wheel would short-circuit the whole car when I used the blinkers. It would remain off for a few minutes before I could turn it on again. It took the Volvo repair shop three visits to find the issue. The brakes also rusted shut when the car was less than a year old. Etc, etc. Never again Volvo.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Ultra Cowboy

I have a night trail run coming tonight after 7pm. Tonight's discussion "How the training run Weekend went".

QOTD

I've been very lucky to have had a string of pretty reliable Vehicles, All pickups.  2 GMC's, one Chevy, and one Ford.  I'll stick with the GM's for a while...

WYBMADIITY

Save

LB2

It was raining cats and dogs when I got up this morning, so I may run tonight. But I will probably dog it off until tomorrow. I have so much going on at work and with the town that I have just been crashing every night for the last week or so. My running is the worst it has been in years. But, I am happy to be healthy... I hope to get back in full swing by the weekend.

QOTD: I have never really had a terrible vehicle, but I did have one break down on me in 95 degree heat on the interstate one day. I was student teaching and also worked at the university as a grad assistant, even though I wasn't a grad student at the time... Anyway, I managed the married housing complex as what they called a resident manager, tuition paid plus a stipend. At times, I had to evict people. Well, on the day I broke down on the interstate, I started walking. Suddenly, a truck that I fully expected Fred Sanford or Lamont Sanford to be driving pulled over. Boy, was I relieved... until I got up to the passenger side window. It was the people I had recently evicted who were headed back to the university to move their stuff out of the apartment. I spent the 20 mile ride apologizing for having to evict them. They laughed and said they understood that it wasn't me who was personally evicting them. The funniest part was that the lady said, "You didn't even have to ask us where we were headed..." I still felt like a piece of crap. My, then brother in law, and I fixed the truck that night. It needed an alternator.

LB2