Trailer Trash

Thin insulated jacket - Recommendations for running? (Read 63 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I dunno - I have a grid fleece, too but sweat as much in that as I do in a softshell? Maybe I just sweat too much...Tongue 

there are a lot of grid fleeces out there and like traditional fleece, comes in varying weights- the Cap 4 is the lightest weight grid fleece I'm aware of- I have a couple of R1 pieces which are also grid fleece, but a heavier weight

I didn't mention this earlier, but I always have a insulating garment in my pack when going on long runs in the winter-typically a light down or primaloft piece (like the nanopuff)- isn't used for running, but if we have to take a break (or emergency- the country I run is remote and typically cell service is non-existent)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Was just debating this with myself yesterday on a run.  I really need something to block the wind.  I have a crapton of stuff I can wear as layers, but nothing really suitable as an outer layer wind blocker.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Was just debating this with myself yesterday on a run.  I really need something to block the wind.  I have a crapton of stuff I can wear as layers, but nothing really suitable as an outer layer wind blocker.

Most of the time, I just use the same shells I use in summer or fall. If it's subzero or blowing hard (50mph), I use a slightly larger shell with good hood (and pockets) (Patagonia Krushell, which may not be made anymore) which layers over a couple insulating layers..(I've got an assortment of shells, mostly because I was looking for something better and took advantage of many online sales.)

My primaloft jacket is in my pack for stops, emergency or otherwise, as well as changes in weather or whatever, as mtwarden mentions. It may not come off again after an extended stop (taking pictures of a race), esp. if the temps are colder than I thought they were..

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        SillyC

Crazy idea here...  but I use a regular windbreaker that's one size larger than I normally wear.  I'm not sure if I'd buy one for that purpose, though - I have an old one from when I was pregnant.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I saw this jacket and unsure of the brand but looks perfect for what you want.  It's slightly puffed with vents on the side.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201675469943593&set=p.10201675469943593&type=1&theater

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Harrier, you are basically right.

I was just hoping there was the ultimate solution out there, just one piece which would be great at all temps below 25. I did not want to accept the reality that sometimes you have to wear many layers (not that I mind wearing them, it just sucks when I have to take them off after the run), and that you will sweat, no matter how you dress, and that this will make you cold in cold weather if you have to walk for some time. So sad, so sad...

But the grid fleece sounds good. Maybe my desire for more winter clothing results from the fact that I own a grand total of 3 fleece jackets (two thin ones, one "thick" Polartec-200), that's all the winter gear I have.

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

Couch--I know what you're  saying. I just like to poke fun at people that always want to make things more technical than they need to be. So I'm heading out right now for a 15 miler and the temp here is 8F.(in Anchorage it is 17F and Helena yesterday was 41F)  So what to wear? The experts say I should dress in layers so I'm thinking to add a fleece vest so I'm toasty for the first 10 minutes but then what? What do I do with this extra layer? Can't tie it around my waist and don't feel like carrying it for 2 hours. Do I need to wear a day pack for a simple run and of course that would sit on my back leading to more sweating in that area leading to more complicated clothing choices--yikes!  To think we used to actually do winter long runs in the old days wearing cotton hoodies and the like. Probably a miracle we survived.

In any event I will keep it as simple as I can and always do--I will wear a long-sleeve tech top that has a longer zippered neck and a light cross-country ski jacket. I will be a tad chilly for the first 10 minutes and then I will be fine and even perhaps a little warm during the run as always.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

LOL.

Oh yes, I remember the olden days, I had a favorite cotton hoodie with "Canada" written all across the front...

And then a non-breathing nylon shell on top of that, it was good, down  to temps in the single digits - with a cotton T underneath, of course, and those flattering cotton/polyester sweat pants. I wish I could post a picture of these times!

But isn't it funny that with all the choices available today, and all the stuff we have in our running closet, we end up wearing pretty much the same stuff time and time again when it's cold?

Run for fun.

Deltarose

Well...I have a Title Nine store credit burning a hole in my pocket, so I was looking at their sale and found the Nano Puff on sale.

I was reading the reviews and was surprised to see someone wore it for a stage race in Nepal and loved it. http://www.titlenine.com/product/559710.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn#.UrOIrGCA3IU

So, maybe the new down products are better engineered than the old-school ones I own. My down jacket and vest are not unlike wrapping oneself in a down comforter and trying to maneuver through life looking like the Michelin Man ...

I take back what I said about down not being forgiving/breathable as an aerobic layer...maybe they are now?

Now I'd be curious to hear how you like it, if you do try it out...

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the Nano Puff is not down, it's Primaloft- while it handles moisture better than down- it will lose it's loft when wet, and running will make it wet- I think it's a great piece to have in your pack for stops or emergencies, just don't think it's overly ideal for running

I read the review and they stated they wore it before and after running- which it's perfectly suitable for Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Deltarose

Geez, you sound just like my husband Wink

the Nano Puff is not down, it's Primaloft- while it handles moisture better than down- it will lose it's loft when wet, and running will make it wet- I think it's a great piece to have in your pack for stops or emergencies, just don't think it's overly ideal for running

I read the review and they stated they wore it before and after running- which it's perfectly suitable for Smile

I read the review, too, and yes, it was mentioned that she only wore it before and after, which is what I suggested in my very first opinion about the jacket.

I just thought if you can have a key piece on an expedition like that and come away loving it, I don't want to steer anyone away. And the first reviewer said she wears hers while running.

I've stood in the store with the jacket in my hand, but I never thought "running".

My final wrap up  = mentally I still lump down with synthetic downs/ alternative downs, because in my experience they perform the same - if they get too damp they lose insulating power, and they tend to get too damp because the design of the layers in the garment is trying to keep the filling from getting damp, so it loses breathability. Having it for pre or post run or for an unexpected stop? Perfect.

Running in it? eh...maybe?

I think there are better winter layers out there (ie. merino), but maybe the Nano has solved some of the sweat issues?

FTYC - if you're still out there - Tongue - I think if you like it, get it. If it doesn't work well for a running jacket, it will still serve you well post run.

Oh and I still love my soft shell regardless of what any of you say

Watoni

I generally go for a patagonia zip base layer (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-capilene-2-baselayer-lightweight-zip-neck?p=44910-0) or a houdini jacket (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-houdini-jacket-windbreaker?p=24145-0). If really cold or wet, I go for both.

If you want an insulated running jacket good for cold (but not so much for wet weather), try the North Face Animagi

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Geez, you sound just like my husband Wink

Uh-oh, that doesn't sound like a good thing Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

RabbitChaser

I have one of the the 180s quantum heat jackets. I wore one of their quantum heat shirts and the linked jacket in -4F windchill temps for over 2 hours and was perfectly fine.

Eric

ceezy

Funny, I got a NanoPuff pullover for Christmas.

I didn't really anticipate using for running, but it is much lighter and less bulky than my North Face puffy.

Think it would work better than a traditional down puffy. Probably just keep it as a daily wearer and possible emergency running piece.

Nice jacket though. Smile