Trailer Trash

Saturdailies (Read 30 times)

Marley and I had a nice 4 mile trail run this morning.  I am still not feeling 100% but it was nice to get out.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Bella and I are heading to the Ice Age Trail to do some hiking this morning.

QOTD: What's a common food item that you've never eaten, and why haven't you?

I've never eaten lobster before.  I know everyone raves about it.  Not sure what happened in my first 25 years of life, but now that I'm a vegetarian I'm not sure I'll ever try it.  Maybe if I were out to dinner with someone in Maine ordered it, I might try a bite.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

My run this morning was an epic fail!

I decided to sleep in and got to the trail with the pup at 7:00. For some reason, I thought it would be light out and didn't bring a headlamp. I decided to head out in the dark, knowing the sun would be up soon. About 200 yards into my run, the rain started. Undaunted, we pushed on. As we started the first big climb, the wind began to pick up, driving the rain into my eyes. No concern...it's still too dark to see anyway.

The storm must have had the deer on the move, because we were kicking up large groups of mule deer all over the place. I was struggling over the sound of the wind and rain to keep my dog from chasing the deer, deep into the Wasatch.

As we finished the first ascent and began to traverse a ridge line, the wind picked up and the rain turned to a heavy, wet snow. We're at 8,000' in a blizzard now.

We push on...

After another mile, the weather was worsening and the temps were plummeting. And my dog was gone. About the time I was considering turning back, the pup showed up on the trail right in front of me and sat down in the middle of the trail. She looked up to me, like..."What the fuck are we doing out here?"...I figured if she was wanting to abandon the run, then we probably should.

6 miles.

QOTD: Salmon. It smells disgusting.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Getting ready once again to head out after breakfast has settled. Not sure about the distance, but it should be a fun run.

I was at the doc's yesterday because of my joint pain, and we found out it's a tendinitis, all over my body, not sure what caused it. So it was some lab tests, and I'll have to wait for the results. But at least, it seems to have turned around and getting better again - hopefully for good!

TT: Hope you'll be better soon again. Give that bug a good kick!

Mandy: Hiking sounds nice!

Kelly: Tough morning. But you were tougher! At least you got a few miles in.

QOTD: Philly cheese steak, buffalo wings, sloppy joe/Manwich, chicken parmesan, jello-shots, gumbo, fried catfish,...

Some because I didn't grow up with it, and now I don't care for it much (buffalo wings, jello shots), some because a friend ordered it and it looked disgusting (cheese steak), some because it doesn't sound appealing, or the alternatives sound much better.

I'm still exploring the American cuisine, so there's still hope!

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Morning folks.  Looking at 4 or 5 miles on the trail in Rock Creek this afternoon.  In the lower section, where the mud and dirt is, different from the section AT was raving about earlier this week.

Marie-- glad to hear that you have a diagnosis.  What is the treatment?  Hopefully not too much rest.

qotd:  Steak tartare.  I love my steak medium rare, but have never gotten excited about trying it raw.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Another cup of coffee and then I'll walk Jack and Earl.  We are going to keep Jack a non-runner which is fine with me.  He has been with us 5 days and he is an awesome dog, we lucked out.  You always worry when they come from the pound.  After may run 6 with Earl.  Rainy gloomy day....bowling might be fun.

saw  the movie Wild last night.  Focused too much on her life leading up to the hike than the actual hike so I was a wee but disappointed.

QOTD: tripe, mundo because hello aren't they made from a ciws brians and tongue!!!   Disgusting yet having lived in So Cal had many friends that swear Mundo cures a hangover...probably becuase you throw up after!!  I bet there is nothing Sandy hasn't tried in his visits to asia.

Couch:  You have to eat buffalo wings!!!!   With beer... Your missing out!   Sloopy joes..yum comfort food....

Mandy:  Lobster, oh so good although I like King Crab better.

Kelly:  Earl did that to me once, give me that look like are you kidding but ut was onky raining on us.  He's a wimp.  And salmon is so dam good, just saying.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

The pup is insisting on wearing her fleece for the rest of the day, to ward off that early morning mountain chill.

Daydreamer1

Heading out for 7-9 miles in a little bit. Again it all depends on how I feel. My run on Wednesday totally sucked, then Thursdays was pretty good. Hopefully a day off will let me feel like running long.

Mandy - There are a lot of things that you'll miss out on by being vegetarian, but Lobster isn't one of them. It's too sweet and chewy for my tastes. They only way I'll eat it again is if I'm in Maine and I get a lobster roll just to try one. Way overpriced as well.

FTYC - Tendonitis sucks. I get it very easily.

QON - My Grandmother always liked the pigs brains when we butchered. We never gave her any competition for them. On the other hand we would fight over the bone marrow.  My Dad loves pickled beef tongue.

QOTD: Sushi. I love fish, just not when it's raw or undercooked, so Sushi isn't the least bit appealing to me.

NorthernHarrier

Got in 7 on the frozen bike trails at Cam-Rock. Conditions were pretty nice and there were also a few bikers out. It seems to me that would be pretty cold riding at about 28F but if that's your game I guess you seize the moment if you can get quality riding around here in mid Dec.

Looking forward to my run in the Kettles tomorrow as these trail conditions won't last a whole lot longer.

QOTD--Since I can't remember shit this question offers up a perfect example as just a couple days ago DW and I were talking about food and something common came up that I have never tried but...a mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Mandy - There are a lot of things that you'll miss out on by being vegetarian, but Lobster isn't one of them. It's too sweet and chewy for my tastes. They only way I'll eat it again is if I'm in Maine and I get a lobster roll just to try one. Way overpriced as well.

I love salmon when prepared well, I would eat that long before over hyped and overpriced lobster. Don't really understand the whole lobster thing myself.  Once had it out in New Brunswick in a chowder and that was probably the best way I ever had it. But in a cost/benefit analysis give me Manwich. 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Nancy: The doc said physical therapy usually is best, so I'm hoping my health insurance will pay for it. If not, I'll do my own thing with ultrasound and heat/ice therapy. Have fun on Rock Creek trails, I love that lower section, mainly because of the mud!

Queen: Bowling does sound good. I might swap it for the ice skating with the boys I had planned for tomorrow!

Kelly: Looks cute, so let her wear it! On another note, dogs can get hypothermic, and once their core temperature has dropped (that is, if the dog is beyond chilly and shivering, just like humans), it is very, very difficult to warm them up, as they tend to suffer cardiac arrest quickly. So be careful, and don't overdo it if she doesn't have protection from the weather (a coat) on.

DD1: We had calf brains when I was young, and I remember I liked it. Now with Mad Cow Disease, that's another thing... but that did not exist half a century ago. (Now I can say that, since I switched to the next age group two days ago! 

Harrier: Now you got me set on trying the Manwich!

Run for fun.

Watoni

First Tahoe powder day for me in forever so I skied with the bride for a few hours and then tried to run/hike under one of the gondolas on a closed run then hit a trail that had been packed a bit since they use it for x-country and  accessing downhill runs (that are not open yet). Lame distance wise but since I am so pathetic now trying to run in snow uphill for any amount of time kicks my ass.

QOTD:  I eat just about any kind of food.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

hog4life

15.3 on the trails this morning. I need to take Bella out for a little stroll, distance is unknown, haha.

I had tendinitis in my shin back in the summer, Naproxin twice per day for a month really helped.

QOTD; pig brains are not common, at least to me. Not much I won't eat or at east try.

Sandy-2

I ended up taking a SRD yesterday (Sat.), but did 18 very cold and rugged miles this morning (Sun.)  I think I should have had on one more layer on top and I would have been better off.  When I was at the top of the mountain I was freezing in the biting wind, but out of the wind in the trees or in the sun I was better.  I guess it was in the low 20s *F and very windy at the top.  Anyway after taking a hot shower and having coffee I'm thawing out.

qotd: This question is funny because I was going to tell you about a Chinese dinner I went to last week.  Not sure how "common" they are but on the menu was; face of cow (yes a cow's head, but no brains), pigeon feet, duck tongue, something called smelly tofu, sea cucumber...  half the stuff was gross. Needless to say I stuck to the shrimp, crab, green plants and rice.  Over here in Korea something that is very common is some sort of bug larvae that smells a bit like black licorice, I think I tired it once when I was drunk, but I wouldn't sober.  QoN, LOL!!!!  Well I will eat almost anything, but there is a blurry line in there somewhere.

I bet there is nothing Sandy hasn't tried in his visits to asia.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

hog: I'm allergic to NSAIDs, so the simple remedies don't work for me.

Sandy: I had smelly tofu and sea cucumber in Japan, they are weird, but don't taste too bad. Texture is another thing, though. Some Asian foods take a while to get used to. Face of cow (the cheeks), and pig snout are common in Austria, too, or at least, were, when I was a child. Not so much any more nowadays.

Run for fun.