Trailer Trash

is anyone using any of the Inov-8's w/ the "anatomic" last (Read 153 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Inov-8 has always had a reputation of being on the narrow side, but the newer anatomic last (Terrafly, TrailRoc) is supposed to have a much roomier toe box.  I've been blessed w/ Irish toes, which w/ the exception of my small toe are all the same length as my big toe- needless to say I need a roomy toe box.  Going to wide sizes sometimes helps in the toe box, but my foot isn't really that wide and often the rest of my foot has too much room.

Is there a noticeable increase in the toe box room w/ these shoes?

Other shoes I should look at?

Danke

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

under a rock

Have you tried Altra? I got their second try at a trail shoe, the superiors, and really like them, the first ones, the lone peaks, were reported to be very stiff. I love the toe box in these shoes, they will really spoil those who like a wide toe box.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Have you tried Altra? I got their second try at a trail shoe, the superiors, and really like them, the first ones, the lone peaks, were reported to be very stiff. I love the toe box in these shoes, they will really spoil those who like a wide toe box.

I haven't- I've heard they have a nice roomy toe box, I was a little apprehensive w/ them as they are a 0 drop shoe- for some reason I seem to be somewhat prone to calf and achilles problems and thought that a 0 drop shoe might exacerbate those- maybe not????

Did you have any troubles going to a 0 drop shoe?

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

under a rock

I've been slowly working on going zero drop for awhile. My road shoes are still at 8mm (getting ready to try 0drop) but I'm not having any trouble doing zero on the trails. My first trail shoe in 2009 was a traditional drop (don't remember the amount) then I moved on to the 10mm 6 months later in spring 2010. After that my progression for my trail shoes was 10 mm to 4 to 0 starting the switch in Feb 2012. I've even had a soleus injury (not due to shoes but a blunt trauma to my calf) and haven't had any issue switching over because I've taken it so slow on dropping down.

I also think it was an easy switch because I took time off for the injury and started off with such low mileage that it was easy for my legs to get used to the lower drops and it helped that I was having graston and ART done during the transition on the injured leg. I think that it's easier to switch over in a trail shoe than it is in road shoes.

I pretty much go zero drop 85% of my life. I do my best to find every day shoes that have no drop so my legs are used to the lack of heel. It was really hard to find winter boots that are a true zero drop that weren't gawd awful ugly but I managed a few pair that are pretty close.

Now I actually feel like my calves feel tighter when I hit the trail for a hike or run in a shoe that isn't zero drop. I think since I'm accustomed to zero drop most of the time that the slight raised heel shortens up my calf a bit and it has to loosen up when I get home and go barefoot. I haven't found the same issue on roads since my runs are usually only 3-4 miles on the roads.

I think the easiest way to do it is to pick a time that you won't be competing and can take the time to lower your mileage for the switch. I can't imagine trying to switch over during a building up period. But, it's so worth it to get the awesome toe box of the Altra shoes.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks! Smile  my current Montrails are 10mm, I think the Inov-8's that I was looking at are 6mm, that might be a good in-between shoe before going all the way to 0.  I might order a pair from someone like running warehouse where they give you 90 days and actually let you run in them, they also carry the Altra brand as well

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

There is lots of room in the Trailroc 245 in my experience.

I would say a few things:

Inov-8s strike me as very flat despite what they say about the drop. For example, La Sportiva vertical Ks or even X Countrys which have 4-5mm drop and are quite low to the ground (especially X Countrys) do not feel nearly as flat to me as the Inov-8s with a 3mm drop, so if you run in 10mm drop shoes now, I would ease intoeven the 6mm drop model. Also, I did not like the 245s but ymmv

Ordering onine with a return policy is the right way to go and I will start doing that -- I generally support my local running store but I am tired of pissing money down the toilet since you cannot return shoes you have run in.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

good to hear they are roomy Smile  I'm thinking the 255's (which are a 6mm drop), as much as I'd like to go to a lighter shoe, I think I'll be better served w/ something a little more beefy

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √