Trailer Trash

Talking with people who run with dogs (Read 56 times)

Uh oh... now what?

way too long, 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I've avoided comment on this thread because I love dogs.  I have been attacked by a dog who immediately bit me in the groin (he was leashed) and I have been nipped in the rear by a another (who was leashed)  and have been rushed at by many dogs since unleashed and never bite.  I may scream, I may get a huge rush of adrenaline,  but I move on.  If that's the worst of my worries, then I am doing pretty good.  Run happy folks.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

SillyC - I am sorry you have been attacked so many times but where is it that you run where there are so many mean angry attacking dogs? Honestly in a decade+ of trail running my encounters with dogs on the trail have been pretty harmless. Most people I run into with unleashed dogs seem to know their animals and the worst they do is growl or bark at my dog or decide they want to run along with us.

Queen of Nothing - I am totally with you here.  I get to run in the woods, I get to run with my dog, I sometimes see other dogs. Sometimes we stop to pet them and play. Life is good.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

way too long, 

I thought it was a good read.

SillyC

SillyC - I am sorry you have been attacked so many times but where is it that you run where there are so many mean angry attacking dogs?

Massachusetts.  People are selfish assholes here, and really do not care about their neighbors.

sugnim

I get my mace in my hand as soon as I see the unleashed dog.  It's amazing how quickly owners will scramble to get their dog under control when you've got mace in your hand.  I have been bitten so many times I won't run trails without it anymore.

Another thing?  I tell people I just saw 5 coyote up around the corner.  It's sometimes even true.

Serious?  Wow.  I run with bear spray (way stronger than mace), but it's because there are plenty of grizzlies in & around the trails here.  If I saw you with your mace, I would not assume you were going to spray my dog.  I hope you mean that you only spray dogs that are actively aggressive toward you.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Massachusetts.  People are selfish assholes here, and really do not care about their neighbors.

I made similar experiences with dogs, getting attacked and bitten, and selfish, careless people in Austria and Germany, too. Still, the majority of people is great, just a few make a bad, but lasting impression.

Take it in stride, and don't care about them, either.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Some people pretend not to see even the biggest signs. Happens in one of the parks in my town, too. Many signs, saying either "No Pets", or "Keep your dog on a leash" (depending which trail you walk), and I see someone with a dog, big or small, without a leash, every time when I'm in that park. Often even two or three dogs.

In my town, it's mostly the students, or "rich housewives" who come with their dogs, unleashed (the dogs, not the owners, or maybe them, too Wink ).

Yeah, these are not remote trails but have trailheads in town and are very heavily used, and I don't think it's appropriate for people to let their dogs run free there, especially since there IS a legal alternative park, equally convenient and nearly as big, if they absolutely have to have their dogs off-leash.

I run with my dog at times when it is unlikely anyone else is out there because she does not stay with me and barks at people.

I realize you're trying to minimize encounters, and I appreciate that, but man, I would be terrified (and furious) if I was running along some remote-ish place and a dog with no owner visible came running toward me, barking.

I have made some suggestions to the trails association and to the city responsible for signage.  I know there's little I can personally do, and I know that people are just going to take it the wrong way, but I do appreciate the suggestions of framing it as "Do you know there's a leash law on this trail system?" - that makes sense and is less confrontational.  I do think that most people are fairly conscientious about training their dogs to behave well in public - it's just that there are SO MANY DOGS here (sometimes it seems like a kind of a Colorado requirement!) that even a small percentage of a lot equals a significant number.

Run for fun.

SillyC

Serious?  Wow.  I run with bear spray (way stronger than mace), but it's because there are plenty of grizzlies in & around the trails here.  If I saw you with your mace, I would not assume you were going to spray my dog.  I hope you mean that you only spray dogs that are actively aggressive toward you.

I have yet to spray a dog because as soon as I pull it out, the owners frantically try to get the dog back on a leash.  Nobody's assumed the spray is for them.