Trailer Trash

Veterans Wednesdaily (Read 28 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Morning Trailers.

Treadmill run yesterday as it was raining and windy and trails were already slick. A bit of soreness from a fall over the weekend, but feeling better. Night time run tonight after work.

QOTD:  I know we have several veterans on this page, so where did you serve (or if you didn't, where did any relatives who you'd like to recognize serve)?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

After two zero days, I need to run - just to feel human again.  I will get out tonight late for a short run.

AT - I must have missed your fall.  If you're still sore, must have been a good one.

QOTD: My nephew is currently in the Army reserves.  My grandfather was a WWII vet.  He passed away right around the time that the movie Saving Private Ryan came out.  I balled like a baby when I watched that movie.  It put many thing in perspective for me regarding his time at war.  I am thankful for every single vet out there from the the front lines folks to the mess hall workers.  Thank you!

Have  a great Veteran's Day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

AT - I must have missed your fall.  If you're still sore, must have been a good one.

A pretty good one over the weekend. Too many leaves to see the rocks. Was on my back for a while until I knew I could get up. Would have made for a good vine video.

QOTD:  I did not serve, as I was too young for Vietnam.  My father was too young for WWII and too old for Korea.  Had several relatives in WWII who served in the Navy.  Also had 2 cousins who were in Afghanistan during Desert Storm.

Thanks to all who served.

runtraildc

Got out for a whopping 2.5 miles this morning, but the plan is for 6 tonight with the running group.  I want to add a double in once a week and I think Wednesdays will work best.  It was a beautiful morning out there with more than usual out on the trail.  Much of DC is off today, but kids are still in school.

qotd:  No one close, but  a distant in-law with a couple of tours in Afghanistan.   The sacrifices vets make is tremendou and my appreciation for their service is great, though hard for me to express.  Thank you.

hog4life

7.3 miles with Bella this morning. I got a half on Sat, then plan to do something on the trails with a group. I'm counting down the days until my 1st 50k!

I did not serve, nor did anyone in my family that I can recall. Thanks to all who have served, or currently serving.

AT-runner

Tim

7.3 miles with Bella this morning. I got a half on Sat, then plan to do something on the trails with a group. I'm counting down the days until my 1st 50k!

I did not serve, nor did anyone in my family that I can recall. Thanks to all who have served, or currently serving.

Good luck, where's the race?

LB2

I'll get a walk in this evening. It's all over but the crying now. Really, I think with a 100 miler it is pretty much all over but the crying once you get into those last 3 weeks. I don't think you can do very much to enhance your fitness those last three weeks; you are better off resting than you are running hard or very long.

QOTD: I was in the Marines. Most of my time was with 2nd Marine Regiment at Camp Lejeune, NC. I got out in July 1990 and was recalled for Desert Storm in early '91. I spent 33 days at Camp Pendleton, CA before we were all cut loose again.

LB2

hog4life

Good luck, where's the race?

Thanks! Huntsville, Alabama, the race is called Dizzy Fifties 50k. It has 2 different loops, each loop is run 3 times, and then a 3rd loop once.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning folks,

I agree with Jamie, thank you to all the veterans out there past and present, no matter

where or how you served.

Running is a secondary concern right now, but I'll get a few miles in this afternoon.

QOTD: My grandfather served in WW2, stationed in the Aleutian Islands. I served in the Coast

Guard, 1986-2006. I was on several ships but my main experience was as a heavy weather

rescue boat operator. The 44 foot and 47 foot Motor Lifeboat is designed to go out in extreme

weather, it is self-bailing and self-righting, which means the crew straps themselves to the

boat with a waist-belt and clips. I never rolled one, but I've put that 44 footer on it's side many

times with the mast dipping into the breaking surf. It was a great job and I'm glad I did it, nothing

in my life has ever come close to the level of satisfaction in saving a human life.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A pretty good one over the weekend. Too many leaves to see the rocks. Was on my back for a while until I knew I could get up. Would have made for a good vine video.

So if a trail runner falls in the woods but no one is there to witness it, does it really count? 

Hog - GL.  You will always remember your first.

LB2 - how far do you have to travel for your hundo?

NHLA

8 miles in the sunshine.

jon  I hope you find someone to help you. Depression is real.

qotd  FIL 3 years and 3 mo in WW2. Africa to Germany.

Dad was lucky because he had just got out of pilot training and was headed twards Japan when the bomb dropped.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Planning my weekly interval workout for this evening. Based on what our club coach has had us running, I'm expecting 400m intervals.

QOTD: My father enlisted underage and served for a short while in Hawaii before Pearl Harbor. For most of WW II he was stationed in Iceland so his only contact with enemy forces was spotting planes in the distance. BTW that's one of the reasons Iceland was on my list of must visit destinations. I was in the Army from 1973-1976 and spent most of that time at a desk for EAMTMC at MOTBY, Bayonne, NJ.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jon - of course I am 100% biased when I say (and have said in the past) it's ok to get help.  But I understand sometimes the difficulty in finding it.  You know I would in the behavioral health field and currently (for the last 7 years) I work on the insurance side of things of behavioral health.  I know that different insurance companies do things differently. Do you have TriCare insurance? I know that is the gov't insurance for the military? or maybe for the army specifically. Anyways, if that is the insurance you have, they suck...big time. I have never heard anything good about them in regards to accessing BH services.  If you have a different insurance, all I can say is keep trying or go wherever you want and pay out of pocket.  I know that last option isn't much of an option.  When you call your insurance company (and there should be a dedicated phone line for behavioral health), let them know it's an emergency - not necessarily needing a hospital emergency but that you need to see someone within 24 hours.  Insurance companies are supposed to have ways to help their membership access services in a pinch if needed.  Sometimes you just have to say the "right things" for this to happen.  I could go on and on...but if you have any other questions about the insurance stuff, feel free to PM me.  And hang in there buddy - you definitely have some support from us.

edit: of course I am not done....you could also see you PCP and talk to them about depression.  Physicians are supposed to be able to do a depression screening.  You may not think you need or want meds but a simple and low dose of an anti-depression could be a more immediate aide while the counseling comes in later.  And many physician offices (especially the bigger ones) should have a social worker that could help with access to that type of service.

Ok done now....I think

AT-runner

Tim

This probably isn't the best venue or the best day to rant about this but I will anyway, obody

really reads through all these posts, right? I've spent the morning making calls trying to

find a counselor that takes my insurance, to no avail. I'm in a great deal of emotional pain

and it is taking its toll. I need help, I have insurance, and I'm willing to work through this

shit to feel normal again. It should be easier than it is. 

No need to apologize, and glad you ranted.  Sorry you are still in pain. I have no answer for the insurance end, but would say, I agree with Jamie on low dose antidepressants and I would set up a self pay with a counselor if insurance fails. If you need help, that is priceless. Also PCP might be able to give you a diagnosis code and you can work with that on the insurance end. We have several non-profit counselling centers in our area, so look for one of those if you have to self pay.

Always feel free to PM me here or via FB.

Good luck. We're on you side.

XtremeTaper

Thank you veterans for your service!!

Hit the road at lunch time for 7.5 miles through the hood(s). A bit of wind out there which I felt coming back. Haven't felt or noticed wind resistance for some time but hey I'm usually in the woods not open road. It felt sort of good actually as I was warm heading out.

QOTD: I've never served, and came of age after the Vietnam war was over. I do remember we still had to sign up for civil service or whatever that was called. My dad was in the naval reserves but was never called to active duty.

In dog beers, I've only had one.