Trailer Trash

A good 50 for a beginner? (Read 458 times)

Hey all-

I'm putting together my goals for next year, and one of them is a 50 miler. Though I want to complete my first 50k in May first, I was wondering if east coasters have rec's for a good 50M? I'm not opposed to a hilly race....but keep in mind I am still a newbie. 

I considered JFK but the marathon on the tow path part doesn't sound exciting to me at all. I'm interested in something with more trails. 

Occasional Runner

Finger Lakes 50 would be a great choice for you. I've run it twice and had a lot of fun both times. 

Bull Run Run is great too. It has a good mix of terrain but no extreme stuff. But that race is too early in the year for what you want. 

Finger Lakes 50 would be a great choice for you. I've run it twice and had a lot of fun both times. 

Bull Run Run is great too. It has a good mix of terrain but no extreme stuff. But that race is too early in the year for what you want. 

I just read your race report for Finger Lakes, looks like a race I can handle.  Only 4 hours away from me, not bad. I will definitely consider it. The only thing that worries me is that heat triggers my asthma, so I would have to be super careful with a July ultra. 

BTW, I used to live in Manayunk too, but before Lucky's Last Chance was there. I will need to check it out some time after a race, that burger looks awesome!

jonferg67

Endless trails

I think we have similar goals for 2013, I'm doing a 50K in April. I have my eye on this 

50Miler, but it's not until November. I don't have experience with the course, but it's

in Ipswich, MA. I've heard good things about the race from the Trail Animal Running
          Club folks.

https://sites.google.com/site/stonecattrailraces/race-info

DoppleBock

JFK would be a zoo + mostly a flat road race. 

I would think you owe it to yourself to get a wonderful experience - Like Finger Lakes

If you lived in WI - I would recommend Ice Age 50 in May. 

Why ?

Very nice varied trail - Nice amount of hills and easy 3 of 5 for hills (Call it 2.5), a 2 out of 5 for technical.  Enough people that you will not be completely alone (350 ish in 50 mile) not too many that it is a zoo.  Aide Stations are plentiful - 1 handheld is plenty.  Well run, well marked.  The post race is fun - Milwaukee Alehouse beer and a BBQ (Food is ok - not great), usually a Bon Fire.  This has many people hanging around, soa fun post race.  It has all types in it ... from people trying for a WS100 spot (Montrail race) to 70+ Year olds enjoying a day in the woods.  Mothersday weekend in WI means a very high chance at really good weather (Cool, but not too cold 40F-70F)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Occasional Runner

I just read your race report for Finger Lakes, looks like a race I can handle.  Only 4 hours away from me, not bad. I will definitely consider it. The only thing that worries me is that heat triggers my asthma, so I would have to be super careful with a July ultra. 

BTW, I used to live in Manayunk too, but before Lucky's Last Chance was there. I will need to check it out some time after a race, that burger looks awesome!

My RR from this year wasn't as descriptive or meaningful as it could have been, so it may not be the best resource. I was dealing with Lyme Disease when I ran Finger Lakes this year and dropped to the 50k instead of the 50 miler because my body was jacked up. I ran the full 50 miles in 2011 but i wasn't writing my blog back then. 

I think you would really enjoy the race and I hope you decide to do it. There are a lot of races on the east coast that I'm going to miss now that I live in Utah and Finger Lakes is one of them.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think the Stone Mill 50 is great for a first-timer. Nice, but really easy trails, no significant hills, but still plenty of up and down, outstanding volunteers, and very laid-back.

I ran it this fall, and enjoyed it. You might look out for trail markers, though...

Run for fun.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I think the Stone Mill 50 is great for a first-timer. Nice, but really easy trails, no significant hills, but still plenty of up and down, outstanding volunteers, and very laid-back.

I ran it this fall, and enjoyed it. You might look out for trail markers, though...

where was this held?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

where was this held?

It was in Gaithersburg, MD. Easy to find, just off the I-270.

Run for fun.

I like the look of the Stone Mill 50 also.  These are two very viable options. However, if the running gods bless me and I end up moving to Colorado next summer (a real possibility) I might go in a totally different direction! 

However, if the running gods bless me and I end up moving to Colorado next summer (a real possibility) I might go in a totally different direction! 

North Fork 50 would be a great option. I don't know if I will be able to do it in 2013 but it is definitely on my list.

XtremeTaper

Virgil Crest 50 (Virgil NY) is a good one. Very hilly challenging course but nearly all trail with a generous cutoff time as well. I guess it would be a difficult race for a first 50 miler but if you like trails it's a good one plus the long cutoff time (16 hours I think) reduces the stress on missing a cuttoff time and getting pulled.

Report/Linkie thing: http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/trail-running/virgil-crest-50-mile-running-itbs-report

* surpisingly new RW software has at least fixed the search issue I always had!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

Virgil Crest 50 (Virgil NY) is a good one. Very hilly challenging course but nearly all trail with a generous cutoff time as well. I guess it would be a difficult race for a first 50 miler but if you like trails it's a good one plus the long cutoff time (16 hours I think) reduces the stress on missing a cuttoff time and getting pulled.

Report/Linkie thing: http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/trail-running/virgil-crest-50-mile-running-itbs-report

* surpisingly new RW software has at least fixed the search issue I always had!

The hardest 50 miler I have ever run. 

XtremeTaper

The hardest 50 miler I have ever run. 

A lot of the race one is hiking up hills and ski slopes. Not that hard... just time consuming.  

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

A lot of the race one is hiking up hills and ski slopes. Not that hard... just time consuming.  

Yeah. Unless you're running those hills. It's a great race, but frustratingly challenging.