Trailer Trash

trail running form/lower back pain ? (Read 39 times)

Will run for scenery.

So I've been trail/mountain running for over a year now, but still have much to learn.

Lately I've noticed that after a trail run, usually in my car, my lower back is sore.    Could be trail running, could be the car, could be too many decades sitting in a chair (and not much else).  All I know is that I don't feel it after road running (close to home, no driving, ...)

Possibly related is the issue of running form.  Lately I've found that while running downhill it seems to help if I "reach" with my pelvis.  Imagine a rigid belt fixed to your pelvis with bars sticking out sideways.  In my old way of running the bars would just point sideways the whole time.  Lately, though, I tend to rotate my pelvis more, so the bar ends would be moving forward and backward a lot. It's like I'm reaching with my pelvis to get a longer stride, placing my feet more gently, and absorbing the downhill energy more smoothly.

Does any of this make sense ?

Have any of youse guys/gals gone through a similar phase ?

Do I just need to suck it up ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

I really don't know anything, not having been out on trails any longer than you, but my first thought was weak core.  Do you do anything for core strength?   The twinges I felt in my lower back have abated with cross training, including core work.  But others more knowledgeable than I might have more insight into how your running form plays into it.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have never observed this rotation of the pelvis in my runs, but I have never looked for it. Maybe I do it, too?

I have had several ruptured discs in my lumbar area (and still have at least one ruptured one, the others have been "repaired" surgically), and I know that putting load on the discs (e.g. running downhill, or any running at all) and rotating the spine at the same time can cause trouble. So I try to avoid such movements, or at least, I don't do them on purpose.

And a long stride in trail running is not ideal on some trails (but it depends highly on the trail surface, and the terrain, sometimes a long stride is quite manageable).

How much do you run on trails, compared to road? Any significant changes in mileage over the last few months? What do your trails look like (grass, roots, rocks, steep, flat, easy to run, highly technical,...)? Changed shoes?

How do you move when you run on roads, same rotation of the spine?

Run for fun.

Will run for scenery.

No dedicated core work apart from trail running.

This is my second year running, but I stopped for several months last winter.

Most of my miles are on trails in Colorado : hilly, rocky but not real technical, long climbs/descents.

The pelvis rotation thing is something I'm just sort of becoming aware of.  If I were super-fast (Ha!) I might do it during flat/road

running to increase stride length.  But I do it for medium-steep downhill.

I guess the idea is not to increase stride length (as in feet landing farther apart) but for a given stride length to try and maximize the time my feet are on the ground - the longer the reach the less time spent up in the air. So it's almost like speedwalking.  I find it spreads the braking action out a lot and makes running downhill feel a lot smoother.

Anyway, the ruptured disk thing sounds scary and no fun - I definitely don't want to get into that kind of trouble!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Will run for scenery.

So after a bunch of googling, it looks like there's a connection.

Hip rotation is good.  Tight hip flexors (chair-sitting muscles) don't let the pelvis rotate freely. As a result, load is transferred to lower back muscles.  Solution : stretch the hip flexors.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I second the recommendation of core work.  You also might want to look into the McKenzie exercises which are similar to yoga and help me when my back is being painful.

Sitting in a car is a lot worse than running, for your back.  I would think that's the source, rather than the running.  Do you notice pain from other trips?

Interesting comment on form - I'd have to experiment and think about how I run downhill.  I tend to do the wide stance and windmill arms thing.

Will run for scenery.

Okay, I'm pretty convinced I just need to do the core strengthening/stretching stuff.

Did some more trails today (moderate descents) and back felt fine until I got in the car.  So maybe just the car's fault!

Ilana, I googled the McKenzie stuff.  Did you have someone do an evaluation or just pick exercises on your own ? Also, I did do some crazy windmills just for fun!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

sugnim

I had the same problem when I started running steeper trails.  Then I watched a video on youtube of Scott Jurek explaining how to run uphill & down.  I noticed that I was tilting forward at the waist when I run uphills, which he explained is not good.  As soon as I corrected this, the low back pain stopped.  Every time I run steep trails now I remind myself of this, and I haven't had any back pain since.  I can't remember which video it was on youtube, but it was just a few minutes long, and any of his demonstrations of trail running technique are probably pretty good to watch.

Sandy-2

I second (or third or forth) the core training comments.  Even if I only do a little bit of the stuff (crunches, planks, reverse curls, etc.) it makes a big difference in the way my back feels.  Stabilizing and strengthening your core really helps when running trains and uneven footing.  I also agree with FTYC, sometimes long strides and trails don't mix so well.

tbd.