Trailer Trash

Deer Hunter Accidentally Shoots Trail "Jogger" (Read 56 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Cape Cod Hunter Accidentally Shoots Jogger. 

One of my fears.  Anyone had any close calls in the woods?

Several years ago, I was running on the AT during deer season.. The AT has a "no hunting" buffer zone, but some yahoo either didn't know where he was or didn't care.  I saw him shoot across the trail when I was bout 100 yard from him.  I yelled at him, but then decided it was better to just turn around.  Now I stay out of the woods during deer season.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Well, at least he helped the guy out of the woods and didn't run away. Nevertheless, the woods, especially public lands, are full of idiots during hunting season. Most of the places I run are on private land that I either have leased or is owned by us. And I coordinate my running with those who may be hunting. For example, the place I have leased is subleased, by me, to some guys who deer hunt. They work the same shift, so every other weekend, the place is wide open. I usually don't run up there, but I have a schedule of when they are off if I do. Right around the house, I just wear orange or red when I run. I grew up hunting in the woods. It was very common for me to get home from school and go hunting like other kids would go to ball practice. It is just what we did/do. I am often amazed at how many people I come across who have absolutely no concept of hunter safety and woodsmanship yet identify themselves as hunters.

If I do go up to the Homochitto National Forest, it is for a very long run 30+ and not done that often. I usually do that between deer season and turkey season. I have always planned to go up to the HNF for a week of camping, hunting, and running during turkey season, but I have enough good places to hunt and run around the house that I have not done that yet. Plus, that Mississippi hunting license is not cheap.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Nothing worse than shotgun or muzzle loader blasts right in my ear (or so it seemed a few times). Worst place I've run was Lake Mcmurtry Oklahoma. Made sure it wasn't deer season when I ran out there but they were shooting at doves or some bird. Ran around fine for a few miles than "bang bang". Shouting just increased the gunfire so I ran quickly and in stealth mode to get out of there. I believe I was someone's sport that day.

Glad the guy ended up ok. Seems the hunter was trigger happy.

I generally just keep out of the state or county parks that allow rifle hunting during the season. Figure I have the trails most of the year so why risk it, plus there are a few trails that are in no-hunt zones or archery only around here that are safe anyway.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

XT - I was thinking about you and some of the other dog runners when Ir read this story.

Does anyone put Orange, of some sort, on their dogs if they are running during deer rifle season?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Cape Cod Hunter Accidentally Shoots Jogger. 

One of my fears.  Anyone had any close calls in the woods?

Several years ago, I was running on the AT during deer season.. The AT has a "no hunting" buffer zone, but some yahoo either didn't know where he was or didn't care.  I saw him shoot across the trail when I was bout 100 yard from him.  I yelled at him, but then decided it was better to just turn around.  Now I stay out of the woods during deer season.

My fear as well.....I did an 11 mile hike on the AT recently and kept my dog close the whole time because we were in and out of game lands. I was wearing bright pink but my dog wasn't wearing anything. This is scary.

XtremeTaper

XT - I was thinking about you and some of the other dog runners when Ir read this story.

Does anyone put Orange, of some sort, on their dogs if they are running during deer rifle season?

Yes, LadyB has a bright orange safety vest for this time of year. She looks spiffy in it.. I will have to get photo of her soon!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gator eye

I don't even run on my own property this time of year. Some people loose all common sense when it comes to deer hunting. I ve had guys yell at me for ruining their hunt because I was running down the road by the area they hunt.

Mr Jangles has a sporty orange collar he wears, and I always wear a orange hat or vest even if I'm road running.

Sandy-2

In TX I have heard gunshots while running, but they have never been that close to me.  I don't run in the woods during hunting season so I guess they were shooting beer cans or something.  It's still very unnerving though.

Over here I just have to worry about attacks from the North, and in that case I'm probably safer in the woods.

That runner in Cape Cod is very lucky that his injuries weren't worse.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NorthernHarrier

Yes there are whack jobs everywhere. Any moron can have and raise kids, drive cars, and own guns. Every user group has to deal with some dicks whether you snowmobile, stamp collect, hunt, or run.  I hesitate to call this guy a "hunter". Looks more like Charles Manson, version 2.0. A very incomplete article to boot. Deer hunting but it sounds like he was using bird shot. I certainly have a few questions about the whole incident. But yeah some nut cases have guns and hunt so I don't want to gloss over this but....

To help with the paranoia here fwiw-- In Wisconsin which is considered one of the country's top hunting states with seasons that start for some species in early Sept. and run thru the end of January consider these facts: We have had as of today 470 people die on the roads in crashes and as of right now there has not been a single hunting fatality this year.

Me thinks you should be more worried about your drive to the trailhead.

Mostly we just run when/where there are no hunters.  Marley does have a high visibility vest that she wears when I figure it is needed.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have heard shots while running, but only once or twice so close by that I got somewhat worried, but was pretty sure I was still safe.

So far, the hunters that I've met on the trails and forest roads have always been friendly to me, and did not look or behave like crazy shooters. I am more worried about cabin users in the summer, who shoot at beer cans, and not always in a sober state.

I always wear an orange hat when I run in the woods in winter, whether on the roads, or on the trails, and an orange vest when I run trails during deer season. If I'd run with a dog, I'd put an orange vest/coat on him, too.

I agree with Harrier that the story leaves a lot of questions open. At least, the guy stayed with the injured runner, and took responsibility, instead of stealing away.

Great statistics, Harrier, I had the same thought!

Run for fun.