Trailer Trash

it's almost Friday Thursdaily (Read 26 times)

bagge_pants

Jamie - I'm learning on some retro, classic nordic, waxable skis with three pin bindings and leather boots. It's probably the cheapest (and arguably the most difficult) way to learn. The acting of classic skiing is rudimentary but trying to maintain a decent effort is hard since it's a skill sport. The condition of the trail plays a big part too. If it's fresh snow and not below say 25 the snow will clump on your skis. If the snow has been on the ground for a few days with sun it is not as fun. So timing is something to deal with.

If I were to spend money on stuff I'd use a lot I would want waxless, back country touring skis with modern bindings.

I'd also get a pair of skating cross country skis too. 

For entry level you can't really go wrong if you are okay spending about 100$ on the most old school setup you can find. It will be hard no matter what set up you have. I see nordic skis for 10-25$, poles for 5$ and then boots are hard to come by in decent and cheap condition. Maybe 50-100$ for used, haggard boots.

There's a bit more to buying skis so the rental is a good idea. You have to consider your weight and the recommended ski length for the weight. With xc skis they are cambered so if you have skis too long you can't get a good push and skis too short won't have a good glide.

Wandering Wally

4-ish miles planned for tonight.

qotd: Nothing special. Might work for awhile on Saturday morning.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

NorthernHarrier

Did an hour after work on icy trails wearing micro-spikes. We need some fresh snow around here to improve things. Been doing a little more road running than I like this winter. I'll hit the weights and core shortly.

QOTD- I've got a 4 day weekend with Mon and Tues off now as I volunteered to help out with some special project and inventory stuff thru the following wknd. So Saturday morning will be a 10k snowshoe race up north then heading over to my shack. I've got a friend swinging by to stay at my place so he can get some training in on our good ski trails as he is training for the Birkie which is the Boston marathon of the ski racing scene. So there will be some extensive skiing, food, and drink. More snowshoeing and lumberjack stuff too. Weather looks to be good and we have some good snow up there too.

Jamie, I have been skiing for decades and have classic, skate, and bushwack skis so if you are serious about getting into it I'd be happy to help. Not really sure how much quality snow you really get there as opposed to where Bagge, Warden, or I live. We usually just keep getting new snow constantly so skiing conditions stay at a great level. Northern Wisconsin is  a cross country skiing paradise.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ that sounds like my kind of weekend! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √