Trailer Trash

What keeps you motivated? (Read 54 times)

LB2

I don't need too much motivation to run, but I run with a purpose when I have an event on the horizon.

LB2

sugnim

My big ass keeps me motivated.  Seriously, I run for fun, and I love the outdoors and the time on the trail.  I love watching my dog dart up and down the mountain side, and then sleep at my feet when we get home.  I love the hot bath after a long run, and food always tastes better after running.  I love how running clears my mind and gets me away from everything.  But if none of that gets me out the door, the health benefits are a great perk that I truly miss if I don't run.  I used to be 267 pounds.  I'm now 127.  I like to keep it that way.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

I used to be 267 pounds.  I'm now 127.  I like to keep it that way.

Cool  Amazing!!   Did not know that..awesome!!

I've lost about 40 lbs, and that is enough to keep me at it...though a race definately helps.

Sometimes I have to do the "fool myself" trick.  "I'll just get up, but won't run...I'll just get dressed for running, but won't actually run..I'll just take the dog out, since he's staring at me with those big brown eyes, but no running..." "I'll just jog real slow, not fast"  ...By the time I'm done I'm at full speed.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Snowdenrun

You guys are all awesome. Exactly the information I was looking for! And I went for a run this morning so something clicked. I don't think I'm going to make a race my "goal". Any race in the near future(6 months) requires time off work and a plane trip. But I am working on making a list of short and long term goals.

My big ass keeps me motivated.  Seriously, I run for fun, and I love the outdoors and the time on the trail.  I love watching my dog dart up and down the mountain side, and then sleep at my feet when we get home.  I love the hot bath after a long run, and food always tastes better after running.  I love how running clears my mind and gets me away from everything.  But if none of that gets me out the door, the health benefits are a great perk that I truly miss if I don't run.  I used to be 267 pounds.  I'm now 127.  I like to keep it that way.

..And you are doubly awesome.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Forgot about this one -------> NEW SHOES are a great way to get motivated.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

Maybe I'm a little weird but in 34 years of running I have never lost my motivation. Ever. I have burned out on racing at different times but never the run. So I can't really offer a true solution. There were some good suggestions earlier but just a couple pieces of advice FWIW--Don't be too rigid in a training or running schedule that is impossible to follow due to life getting in the way. One has to just roll with things. I just know during the week I will get my specific workouts in but exactly when, who knows & and my other piece of advice--I never run the at the same venue more than once a week. Never any boredom or a sense of drudgery by seeing the same route every day. We are lucky here though with a ton of good options available and I know other people don't have that luxury.

There are also little workout games you can make on the route--accelerations, hills, skipping or bounding, even a slow walk thru a section, etc. Turn the watch or garmin off and just free-flow.

Good luck!

Snowdenrun

Okay, I've come up with some goals.

Short term: we'll say one month.

• First and foremost: Get through FireFighter 1 course. As of today I have one week left. I'm not worried about the practicals, those are a walk in the park. What worries me is the stupid multiple choice test. 
                • Keep working my ass off trying to get a new job at the fire dept...while remembering to still work my ass off at my current job. 
                • Exercise 3 times a week, making sure to work out my upper body.
                • Stay sane(mostly) through the winter months. Less than a month until Winter Solstice. Right now sunset is at 3:26. 
                • Get OUTSIDE EVERYDAY. The fresh air does wonders even if it is cold, dark and raining. 

Long term: 3-6 months

• Exercise 4-6 times a week.
                • Run 15 miles(solo race??) again...without injury.
                • Get my weight back in check. I'm about 10lbs heavier than where I feel "healthy"..and where my pants fit like they should. 
                • Get my savings account to $xxxx. I'm almost 4/5 of the way there.

I'm realizing now as I write these out that a lot of them are "life" goals. But that's okay. I want to make fitness apart of my life too. If I wait to run more until my life is in order I'll never run. Hopefully posting these will solidify these goals and help keep me accountable.